Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Turner
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you still back a Kickstarter game if its not in your first language?
For example, if the game is all written in English (components, cards, board and rules) but we offer a downloadable and printable PDF Rulebook translated in different languages like french, spanish etc.
Is it a turn off if the Kickstarter campaign offers the game only printed in English?
thanks !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to prefer games in English over my native language anyway. I tend to play with all kinds of different players, who don't all speak Dutch, but all of them speak English.

The only times I prefer Dutch is when a game is so light that I think I can get my parents to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't care what language it's in.

If it's KS, I'm not interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

All my games are English editions, except for a few spur-of-the-moment purchases (King of Tokyo and Kingdomino if I remember correctly).

Everyone in the household reads English and sometimes the translations are so terrible that it ruins the feel. The King of Tokyo cards have some pretty terrible translations. To the point where it becomes funny.

That said, I also like games where it does not matter. Kingdomino being a good example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends to some part, what kind of game it is.
Generally: English is fine.
But I do know people who have problems with english, so if the game has a lot of in-game-text or text on cards you shouldn't share, I would need to reconsider how much I wanted it, if it wasn't available in german.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I only play foreign language (i.e., not Japanese or English) editions of games if there is no text on the components.

Rulebooks, sure, a pdf is fine as long as I don't have to print out 50 pages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Vaccari
Italy
Nonantola (Mo)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some markets as Italy, Germany and France usually prefer translation, but nowadays are used to play in English. It also depends on sell volumes.

P.S. If you need translations into Italian, just contact me by GeekMail .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
SamTurner wrote:
For example, if the game is all written in English (components, cards, board and rules) but we offer a downloadable and printable PDF Rulebook translated in different languages like french, spanish etc.
Is it a turn off if the Kickstarter campaign offers the game only printed in English?
thanks !

I would back no KS if they were in my native language. And when I back a French KS I ask for an English version of the game.
I'm also translating some rulebooks to be made available as PDFs but they were not advertised from the start.
So no, for me, it's not at all a turnoff but I don't pay attention to it either.
If the game is not at all available in English, printed, though, that will definitely be a big turnoff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Fibula
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Frenchies generally don't speak english very well, so I tend to avoid buying english versions. If, for a reason or another, a game is only available in english, I'll buy it only if I really really want it, or if the players can ask what something means without revealing stuff. For example, a game with secret hands of cards is generally not good for me, unless I can provide a sheet with translations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ummm, I have so far only backed Kickstarter games in English...

Overall, I buy few translations of games -- most games I am interested in are either published originally in English or German -- and if I do, it's almost always a German adaptation of a foreign game printed by a large publisher. Or an English adaptation of a game in a language I don't speak (usually by a fairly large publisher).

I would be very wary of a translation by a small publisher who has no experience publishing in the language they're now translating to; the risk of the translation being bad or full of mistakes is too high.

(Since BGG is almost exclusively populated by people who speak English, this may not be the right audience for this question.)

Edit: Offering rulebook downloads in different languages for free is a great idea, though! That will only help draw some more people to your game, and won't turn off anybody.
Especially if the rest of the game is language-independent, you may gain quite a few customers that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeMammouth wrote:
Frenchies generally don't speak english very well, so I tend to avoid buying english versions. If, for a reason or another, a game is only available in english, I'll buy it only if I really really want it, or if the players can ask what something means without revealing stuff. For example, a game with secret hands of cards is generally not good for me, unless I can provide a sheet with translations.

Pfff don't tell me, that's super annoying. There are so many games I own that others won't play with me because they don't want to make the effort of trying to understand English (which is useful on just about every level, come on!) that I'm forced into purchasing French versions of some games, or French update packs.
And I hate playing in French...

We need to do something about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't particularly care about translations. Even if you offered printed copies in Italian I'd be more likely to get the English version as there's less chances of typos/mistranslation.

However, a downloadable pdf of the rules would be very helpful as a large portion of our gaming community doesn't speak English well enough to be comfortable with English rulebooks. Most English-only games get fan translations at some point or other and people are used to playing with English components and translated rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Fibula
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:

Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
LeMammouth wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

Why?

i think you mean:
pour qoi?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeMammouth wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

Why?

Because I don't like how the language sounds. Don't mind me, I'm peculiar to the point that I'm even thinking in English nowadays
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Fibula
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
HerrJork wrote:
LeMammouth wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

Why?

i think you mean:
pour qoi?

No, I think YOU mean "pourquoi ?"!

Razoupaf wrote:
LeMammouth wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

Why?

Because I don't like how the language sounds. Don't mind me, I'm peculiar to the point that I'm even thinking in English nowadays

That's allright, I tend to do so too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
++++ ++++
Greece
flag msg tools
.. is here!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
English ONLY please!!
-Focused on 1 language means less typos
-Nearly everyone speaks it and can therefore play it
-Nearly everyone can help to improve/fix it if needed
-Expansions ever come out? 100% compatibility

Translated pdf is fine but still wasted time and effort, imo. Gamers won't be needing it and less interested players won't be reading it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SamTurner wrote:

I am wondering. Isn't that pretty much what already dominates at this site ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SamTurner wrote:

And really, why confine this to Kickstarter. Isn't this an obstacle for retail in general ? How have we coped ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
DOES NOT COMPUTE ||| EXTERMINATE ||| EXTERMINAAAAAATE
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer buying games in English, in fact. The only times I buy Czech is when the language is central to the game (Codenames) or when the difference between the Czech and English version prices is too big (I've seen as much as 50% difference in a few cases).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkabolisher wrote:
Translated pdf is fine but still wasted time and effort, imo. Gamers won't be needing it and less interested players won't be reading it!

Are you talking about the Greek community or in general? Because I know for a fact that Italian translations are often requested and used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ren3 wrote:
darkabolisher wrote:

Are you talking about the Greek community or in general? Because I know for a fact that Italian translations are often requested and used.

You just have to go to the game's files page and check out the number of downloads to see if there's demand.

From what I've translated, Godforsaken Scavengers has been downloaded 14 times, and Superhot (I proofread and uploaded only) no less than 65 times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
++++ ++++
Greece
flag msg tools
.. is here!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Ren3 wrote:
darkabolisher wrote:

You just have to go to the game's files page and check out the number of downloads to see if there's demand.

From what I've translated, Godforsaken Scavengers has been downloaded 14 times, and Superhot (I proofread and uploaded only) no less than 65 times.

I was talking in general. Extra translations surely help 'a little'..
But perfecting the game and publishing the first wave without any troubles, are much greater priorities imo!
And btw, 'anything' free is always in demand. So? I very often see several file downloads but barely any likes or comments next to them.
To me, that shows lack of those peoples' genuine interest, thus the wasted effort of the uploader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's a story-driven game, with tons of text, like Tales of the arabian nights, give me my native tongue (french) over english anyday.
It's just easier to focus on for everyone, even if everyone is perfectly bilingual.

If it's any other game, i don't care. Most good games nowadays don't need extensive text to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darkabolisher wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
Ren3 wrote:
darkabolisher wrote:

I was talking in general. Extra translations surely help 'a little'..
But perfecting the game and publishing the first wave without any troubles, are much greater priorities imo!
And btw, 'anything' free is always in demand. So? I very often see several file downloads but barely any likes or comments next to them.
To me, that shows lack of those peoples' genuine interest, thus the wasted effort of the uploader.

That, or non-english speakers are ungrateful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.