United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting situation coming up in my current solo playthrough. When Phormio moves units, it always wants your strongest first. For Sparta this means red cubes. However, during redeployment Phormio tells you to leave one unit in any space you occupy. The situation now is that the map has 3 or 4 spaces with one red cube in them. It seems that I as the human am in a position to do some unbalanced cherry picking. It's not hard to assemble a force that can overcome one red cube. And since you get 5 bonus honor on top of the normal honor reward every time Athens destroys a red cube, I'm looking at cheesing an extra 15-20 points.

Anyone else running into this? Is it possible I'm running Phormio incorrectly?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find this happens quite frequently and I accept it as a reality for unpredictability and the narrative play which Phormio is creating. I might add that your own Phormio partner can be a major liability in doing exactly the same thing to your forces!

I find Redeployment to be the most undefined of Phormio's instructions. Assuming that I have some agency in deciding my own side's Redeployment, I try to give the double bot enemy city state the benefit of redeploying intelligently, as I would if they were my own forces (so maybe not so intelligently )....for example, covering unprotected bases or returning city state units to their city state theatres if they have been emptied and are in danger of a conquest victory next turn. I am mindful not to overdo it by guessing future enemy strategies and my default is to leave enemy units where they are if there is no glaring strategic hole to plug.

In the case of mandatory Redeployment from a theatre where Phormio has no base, again I'll try to play him intelligently, leaving a unit there that doesn't risk Hostages if at all possible (for example a League unit, an Athenian land or a Spartan naval unit) but sometimes Phormio exposes himself (no innuendo intended ) and that's just part of his unpredictable charm and why he gets the starting honour bump.

Brent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.