8 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: wormholes and how they work rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: movement [+] TI3 [+] wormhole [+] [View All]
geek game
msg tools
Hello

For my upcoming game of TI3 plus shattered empire I want to really understand how the wormholes work. I think last time we played TI3 we didn't get it right. Can somebody explain it to me? Wen to move through a wormhole we played it that you needed to be in the System With a wormhole. Only then could you activate the System With the corresponding wormhole to move there through the wormhole. In my opinion, to move through a wormhole, you activate the end target System and enter through the wormhole next to you without activating the 'sending' wormhole before right?
The way we played it seems wrong to me cause a Lot of surprise movement is Not possible that way.

Thanks in advance!! I am confused.... Due to wormhole sickness....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ascuris Wurm
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The easiest way to explain is to think of the two connected wormhole systems as being adjacent with regard to movement, and movement only. Any type of movement you can do between two adjacent systems, you could do between the two wormhole connected systems. You don't need to be in or even activate either of them if the ship can move far enough.

I hope I was able to clear that up for you. Enjoy your upcoming game of TI3!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
holzer13 wrote:
Wen to move through a wormhole we played it that you needed to be in the System With a wormhole. Only then could you activate the System With the corresponding wormhole to move there through the wormhole. In my opinion, to move through a wormhole, you activate the end target System and enter through the wormhole next to you without activating the 'sending' wormhole before right?

This isn't an entirely reliable approach with TI3 but generally in boardgaming one has to avoid the tendency to make up rules that don't exist. There is no requirement to be in the system with a wormhole to move through it; there is no rule expressing such a requirement, so don't make one up.

I'm not sure whether your opinion is correct because I don't know if "next to you" is a repetition of the same error.

Moving through a wormhole is just like any other movement; you activate one system and units have to have sufficient movement points to get there. Transiting the wormhole costs one movement point; moving through it is just like moving from one hex to an adjacent one. The units don't have to start on a wormhole system and the activated system doesn't have to be a wormhole system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
geek game
msg tools
Ok. Thanks a lot! You really made it clear for me. And so much netter now!! I knew that we must have got it somehow mixed up...and overcomplicated the whole thing. Again, Thanks for your quick reply and clarification!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
Is it really just movement that it counts as adjacency for? I thought the rulebook didn't specify, it just says "counts as adjacent". Can a PDS not fire through a wormhole?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
islan wrote:
Is it really just movement that it counts as adjacency for? I thought the rulebook didn't specify, it just says "counts as adjacent". Can a PDS not fire through a wormhole?

From the FAQ:
Q: When are systems containing matching Wormholes
considered adjacent?
A: These systems are considered adjacent for movement
purposes only (including Transfer Actions). This means that
you cannot fire PDS cannons through, annex planets through,
or use the Integrated Economy technology through.

The TI3 rules and FAQ can be confusing, inconsistent, or just wrong - but it is still worth actually referring to them (or better, the excellent Living Rulebook) before asking a question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
islan wrote:

PDS explicitly CANNOT fire through wormholes!

That's why it's adjacent for movement only...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
islan wrote:

PDS explicitly CANNOT fire through wormholes!

That's why it's adjacent for movement only...

"[+1]"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.