Popular Tags: [View All]
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 4 player game and want to set up the Part 1 of the mentioned above adventure.

The setup says that "At the beginning of scene One, after all Surprise effects are resolved, place tokens 1: one gray, one red in front of each player for each non-Location encounter facing them. Then, place an additional Tokens 2: 1 gray, one red for each non-location encounter that matches the player's color. All encounter tokens created this way are not tied to any encounter card. Finally, any player facing 3 or more tokens - not counting tokens from an encounter card - may draw a card"

It might be because English is not my native language, but I don't understand what to do here. From what I understand:

- I draw encounter cards.
- Let's say, for an easy example, I draw 3 encounters, one location - no encounter has a surprise. Every player receives one encounter, one player receives the location.

- So I now place 1 red token in front of the three players and a gray token (no gray tokens in the game so for memorizing the tokens I placed I take a generic token and place it in front of the player.

- Then I check the color of my player vs the color of the encounter card. Lets say I only have one green character and in front of this character is a green encounter. So I now place 2 times 1 gray and 1 red token in front of this character.

- So the green player has now 3 + tokens in front of him (1 gray + 1 red from first TOKEN, + 2 gray and 2 red from 2nd TOKEN - check). The green player draws an additional card.

- Since the tokens are not related to the encounter (according to the rules above), do I then just put them away or do I have to defeat them before dealing with the encounter?

Or, to rename the question: Are these just a sort of counter bringing in a random element in drawing an additional card or not?

Thanks in advance for your help. Want to play this game at Christmas with my 11 year old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kindt Dalzen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each of the Tokens is considered a separate encounter. The Gray 1 is the Damage Track. In other words, 1 Damage of any color will clear that level and defeat the Token. The 1 Red is the Damage that Token inflicts. So if the Token is not defeated, it will attack the character it is facing and inflict 1 Damage.

Matching colors is based upon the card based encounter that triggered the Tokens. If the card based encounter matches the color of the character it is facing then the extra Tokens are generated, so the first character to draw an encounter is guaranteed to get the extra Tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
You seem to have got the rules for tokens wrong.

Tokens 2: 1 gray, one red means to place two tokens each with 1 grey point of health, and that does 1 damage (the red icon),
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, if I understand the answers right, given the setup - rules mentioned in my first post

- every player, not receiving a location card, receives a gray and a red encounter token. This token must be defeated, otherwise the player receives a damage (red token).

- if the encounter card matches the players color, another set of tokens will be placed, which has to be defeated as above.

If I kill the encounter, the tokens still remain since according to the setup rules "All encounter tokens created this way are not tied to any encounter card."

Wow, for a first adventure in a row of adventures this seems to be very heavy stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Alphawolf wrote:
OK, if I understand the answers right, given the setup - rules mentioned in my first post

- every player, not receiving a location card, receives a gray and a red encounter token. This token must be defeated, otherwise the player receives a damage (red token).

- if the encounter card matches the players color, another set of tokens will be placed, which has to be defeated as above.

If I kill the encounter, the tokens still remain since according to the setup rules "All encounter tokens created this way are not tied to any encounter card."

Wow, for a first adventure in a row of adventures this seems to be very heavy stuff.

No. You have misunderstood the Tokens rules badly.

Please take another look at the rules on page 12.

In this context, there is no such thing as a "grey" encounter token.

What you think is a red Encounter token is in fact an icon to show how much damage the Encounter token will do.

Again, please read the rules on token and then come back here for further questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Alphawolf wrote:

The Wastes of Ancient Empire tells you to place:

TOKENS: 1 "Grey 1 Circle Icon" "Red 1 Bloodsplat Icon"

Compare this to the picture on page 12 of the rules (the expanded image of the Grick Knot card).

"TOKENS: 1" means place one Encounter token, so each player will receive ONE token for each non-location encounter card facing them.

Look at page 12 again. It shows you what Encounter tokens look like. They come in four colours and have a Dragon Icon on them. Ignore the colour at the moment as it may be that you are finding this confusing.

Each of these tokens can be thought as a separate Encounter card. As they are considered separate Encounter Cards, you need to know (i) how to defeat them and (ii) how much Damage they do is you don't defeat them quick enough.

"Grey 1 Circle Icon" means that to defeat this Encounter, you need to do 1 colourless damage to the Encounter (i.e. Token). It does not mean each player receives a grey Encounter token.

"Red 1 Bloodsplat Icon" means that this Encounter will do 1 point of Damage to you. It does not mean each player receives a red Encounter token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I think I got it. Not intuitive for me, but I think I got it.

Thanks folks for steering me thru.

Have some 5db as a small thank-you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.