Subject: Question about chaining cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bri beleren
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
I don't have the exact cards in front of me or rulebook, so terminology might be off, but there was confusion with our first game about how linking your cards words exactly...

I am fairly certain the passage in the rulebook, which is where the main confusion came from, says something like "no matter what, you can only link 1 extra card from a card"... The issue there is if I was just to look at the cards with the arrows, I'd assume I could play a card with 2 arrows, then play a card with 1 arrow linking from the previous bottom arrow, and then keep linking from the new card until I hit a dead end, THEN, go back and link cards off the original 2 arrow card...

To me, even though I don't feel like it is very clear, I believe how it is supposed to actually work, and thus this is how we played, is when you play a 2 arrow card, you can then with your very next card, play underneath it, and if this card happens to have 2 arrows as well, you can play a card underneath of it as well, but once you play a 1 arrow card or 0 arrow card, you then must continue to link off the original card's second arrow... Am I correct on how that plays?

The main thing I think that spawns the confusion is if it doesn't work how I explained above, then I am shocked more people aren't confused, and therefore upset, about how it could have been put in the game more simple... Many other deck building games use a system that limits your card playing, like tanto cuore and its serving system, you start with 1 serving, and then if a card gives you 1 serving, you get to play after it, if it has no servings, and you only have 1 serving remaining, then that card ends your ability to play more cards that require servings to be played... There are also clearly cards that give 2 servings, which allow you to then play a no serving card and still have a serving left over for you to continue playing cards... This would be why I am lead to believe how I interpreted Heart of crown's system is correct, because if it works just like the system of other games like tanto cuore, where you could play three 2 arrow cards one after another, and that would give you the ability to then play 4 no arrow cards before having to stop... then I would be baffled as to why they didn't just have it be a symbol or something, like the servings of tanto cuore, and instead use this arrow system, that has thrown me off... However I do believe I am correct about how things work and was able to read the rules clearly, they were just a little unclear in my opinion...

So anyways, in my above example question, am I correct about how this game actually plays with its linking of cards? If not, then can someone explain how it does work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Negative Zero
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
That rule in the rule book is talking about the initial card out of your hand. You can continue to play cards out of your hand until you have no more links.

Eg you play a 1 link, then a 2 link to the right, then a zero link below the two, then a 1 link left of the 2, that is all valid. Only rule is that you must resolve the entire card before you play another.

Edit: this means it actually behaves identical to Tanto Cuore or Dominion, if you think about it. The arrows are +0,1 or 2 actions/servings. The arrows just make it easier to track how many card plays you have left rather than trying to keep a running tally in your head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bri beleren
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
NegativeZero wrote:
That rule in the rule book is talking about the initial card out of your hand. You can continue to play cards out of your hand until you have no more links.

Eg you play a 1 link, then a 2 link to the right, then a zero link below the two, then a 1 link left of the 2, that is all valid. Only rule is that you must resolve the entire card before you play another.

Edit: this means it actually behaves identical to Tanto Cuore or Dominion, if you think about it. The arrows are +0,1 or 2 actions/servings. The arrows just make it easier to track how many card plays you have left rather than trying to keep a running tally in your head.

I believe you are wrong in implying it works like tanto cuore, because as said above, if it does, then the system is real convoluted and should have just been done like actions/servings of other games...

The part in my opinion that is raising the question is the part of the rule book that says "If a card has two link symbols, you can then play 2 additional cards, but regardless, each link symbol only lets you play one additional card." For this game to work like tanto cuore, then that passage would have to legit be the most "Duh" kind of statement ever, as it would just be saying that you cant use the same link symbol to play your two additional cards, or play 3 cards or whatever... Which like I said, duh... To me this suggests there is something else they were trying to say, and may have failed at doing so with it being a translated game...

Perhaps I am wrong... But also you used a very basic example, and basic interactions would work the same no matter which one of us were correct... What I am wondering about is lets say through the course of drawing cards, you have access to playing 20 different cards on your turn, 4 are 2 arrow, 12 are 1 arrow, and 4 are 0 arrow... If this plays like tanto coure, then you would be able to play as follows... Play 1 card with 2 arrows, and then play underneath of it, a card with 2 arrows, then after that, you play a 1 arrow card underneath that card, and then each card you play continues to link beside that 3rd card you played, until say, you play a 0 arrow card, then you go back up in your card grid, to play off the 2nd cards right side arrow, until yet again, you play a 0 arrow card, and then you can go all the way back and play off the original right side arrow of the first card you played...

Maybe that is how it works, but if so, I think A. they could have made that more clear, and B. I think it is broken a little bit, because once I had got a few double arrow cards into my deck, even playing it in my version of the rules which limits cards way more than the above example, I had no trouble playing my whole deck basically... So if it works how tanto coure and such work, where the arrows are just "additional actions" , then it would be super easy to build in this game and could almost do no wrong in deck building with your consistency as long as you made sure to buy a couple of 2 arrow cards...

I can't find it in my rules, but I did once read the online rules, and between the two rulebooks, I am fairly positive that I read where you had to follow a link immediately basically, or it was lost... So maybe I am crazy, and wrong, but if so I would like confirmed by a few people, maybe even a designer of this game... Cause if I am correct about whichever version of the rules I read, then the above example wouldn't work at all, with how I thought the rules worked, then if you played a 2 arrow card first, then played another 2 arrow card, you first off, did not get 2 more links, hence the passage in the rulebook "regardless, each link symbol only lets you play one additional card" , I believe that was the rulebook trying to clarify (but failing) that you couldn't link double arrow cards together to then have access to a huge chain of actions, like you do in other games like tanto cuore... With how I read the rules, that bottom arrow acts like a symbol that says "play a card below this one now, but the card you play will not let you link even more cards to it" hence, (only lets you play one additional card), which like I said, seems to be a waste of ink otherwise, as it would just be saying the duh statement of you cant link 2 cards off one arrow...

Basically even though I have little backing me up clearly in the English translation rulebook, it is my belief that the double arrow cards were intended to open a one time window to immediately play a 0 arrow card, and not stop your chain in its tracks, as you would then get to go back to the side arrow of that card, since it was the last one you played... another way I am fairly sure it stops it from being tanto coure level with its action system, even though I can't find it right now, is I am fairly certain it was acted like you couldn't back track your card playing to find a playable arrow, that once you had moved on from a card, you couldn't play on its arrows anymore, basically meaning the additional cards had to immediately be linked... which for the above example, would mean if you played a 2 arrow card, and then played a 1 arrow card underneath it, youd have a choice (assuming the rule of "regardless, each link symbol only lets you play 1 additional card" doesn't cut you off from linking to the new card, like I believe it does) you could either A. play off the link symbol of the new card, which would then forfeit the ability to play more onto your original 2 arrow card, or you could play off your 2nd arrow of your first card, which would then forfeit the ability to play off the single arrow card...

Note I acknowledge that I likely am failing at explaining this well, and might be sliding into delusional seeming territory as I cannot currently provide a well of information to support my view of the rules... but I am fairly sure that there was a rule that basically said your linking had to be directly after playing the card, or it was lost, and I still think that even though I agree, the line "regardless, each link symbol only lets you play one additional card" doesn't actually say with English, that you can't stack your additional action arrows together, I do believe that that is the only way this passage would be relevant and make sense to be placed right at the end of the paragraph, the way it is said... I think maybe it was a bad translation, and it was meant to tell you that you wouldn't get 2 extra card links if you used a bottom arrow to play another 2 arrow card...

Like I said, maybe I am full on wrong and semi crazy here, but I am hoping I can get some form of official clarification on what is the full correct way to play, becausde even if I am delusional about the rule in either or both versions of the rulebook, saying your additional cards have to be immediate, I still think something seems off about the quoted rule passage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just that as long as an arrow is available, you can play another card. There is nothing more to it (at least I haven't noticed from digital games that when playing 2 arrowed card and if next playing another 2 arrowed card next to it, you would lose the spot of first card's arrow. If this is something you're thinking.). If the wording confuses, there may be videos about the digital gameplay if it clarifies this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
FULL THROTTLE
badge
"Unlike work, which needs some detachment and ought not to be taken too seriously, games need to be played with the utmost seriousness and dedication." - Bruno Faidutti
mbmbmbmbmb
Nowhere in the rules does it say a link has to be followed immediately.

The rules for links are:

Quote:
If you play a linkable card (one that has the link symbol arrow on the right or bottom) you can play yet another card from you hand. If the next card you play is a linkable, you can play yet another card after that. If a card has two link symbols, you can then play two additional cards, but regardless each link symbol only lets you play one additional card.

You can keep playing cards like this until you run out of either linkable cards or cards in your hand. If you can't play any more cards, or you choose not to, declare that you Main Phase is done.

So yes, your example of a 20-card turn is correct (though actually playing 20 cards in one turn is pretty improbable).

If you have a free link, you can play another card, no matter when. Identical to Dominion. That's all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bri beleren
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Gravey wrote:
Nowhere in the rules does it say a link has to be followed immediately.

The rules for links are:

Quote:
If you play a linkable card (one that has the link symbol arrow on the right or bottom) you can play yet another card from you hand. If the next card you play is a linkable, you can play yet another card after that. If a card has two link symbols, you can then play two additional cards, but regardless each link symbol only lets you play one additional card.

You can keep playing cards like this until you run out of either linkable cards or cards in your hand. If you can't play any more cards, or you choose not to, declare that you Main Phase is done.

So yes, your example of a 20-card turn is correct (though actually playing 20 cards in one turn is pretty improbable).

If you have a free link, you can play another card, no matter when. Identical to Dominion. That's all.

Alright, well thanks, still wish that had made it a clearer system... I seem to be one of the few to have been confused, but the game for me came with tokens, seems like it would have just been easier to say something like "at the beginning of your turn, gain 1 action token" and then every card you play uses up an action token and will either have an icon that gives you +0, +1, or +2 action tokens... Or something like that.

This is a general reply to everyone by the way.

I did quote this just cause I wanted to point out, in my game, even playing it how I thought, which this is one of the reasons I thought it must be constricted somehow, I towards the last 5-6 or whatever turns, played my entire deck every single turn with no issue... I still have to play other setups, but that starting one is pretty broken, in games like tanto coure, even if you played with every card, your servings would be fairly limited, youd have to buy like a 1 of special to get an extra serving every turn, or work off the few available cards, and just hope they fall into your hand correctly... In this game, with the storing cards rule, you can effectively have 8 cards in hand at one time, and in our setup, there were 3 double arrow cards, and only one of them was "bad", the other 2 were powerful as all crap, as 1 drew you a card, and the other one let you add cards you play at the end of turn (other than itself) to the top of your deck for next turn, easily setting up at least 1 combo of a 2 arrow with a no arrow for drawing cards... I'm not really harking on the game, but with it working just like other games and not more restricted, I will be surprised if the other cards are anything like the ones used for the first setup, that people can't constantly "combo" every turn with barely trying... I'll wait until I have tried all the cards and stuff for final judgement, and I like the game regardless so I am sure it will be fine either way, I just retain hope for balance in my games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.