Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GF9 just announced the Vulcans and Andorians for 2018 in their Christmas video (on FB and YouTube)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
GF9 just announced the Vulcans and Andorians for 2018 in their Christmas video (on FB and YouTube)!

Meh. In my opinion, Vulcans don't belong in the game because they are wrapped up in the Federation.

I don't buy the argument that the game takes place in the Enterprise days because then we'd not have the Borg, Ferengi, or Cardies.

That said, I'll probably still get them for the extra tokens, nodes, and systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I can live with the slight thematic problem this causes (perhaps I'll make a sticker with the word "Humans" to hide the word "Federation"). Can't wait to play a seven player marathon (from Humble Beginnings of course)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ChromiumAgeCollector wrote:
Mattias wrote:

Meh. In my opinion, Vulcans don't belong in the game because they are wrapped up in the Federation.

I don't buy the argument that the game takes place in the Enterprise days because then we'd not have the Borg, Ferengi, or Cardies.

That said, I'll probably still get them for the extra tokens, nodes, and systems.

My view is that the game tales place from before Enterprise and into the far future as its a development of a galaxy spanning empire. Just because we didn't meet the Cardassians until Next Gen era doesn't mean they weren't there, doing their own thing in a corner of the galaxy.

I agree that it feels jarring to have them separate I am looking forward to seeing how they play in the context of the game. Besides I can't wait to have a little fleet of D'Kyr class ships all over the board!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Harris
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epJK84BELrs&feature=youtu.be

There is the video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Nazzari
United States
Floral Park
NY - New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought of the game like it was Civilization, and each game was just an alternate history how how things could go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vena
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Any further details or just announced in name only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Samberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UndraftU wrote:
Any further details or just announced in name only?

In name only, but another video from their New Zealand base was mentioned. Maybe that will have some more hints. Has anybody found that one yet?

In the absence of facts, let's speculate! What does everyone think the new faction's style will be? I would expect the Vulcans to be defensive diplomats and the Andorians to be rather aggressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I am excited for more factions, I have 2 comments:

1) WHERE IS MY DOMINION FACTION??? They are the other big player missing from the game, there is clearly enough content from them to build a huge faction without the Cardassians as part of them, and they are amazing. I want to send in my legions of Jem'Hadar to take over the factions I have infiltrated to the highest level with my Founders....

2) While Vulcans and Andorians are cool, neither of them were really... faction-spanning groups. Otherwise, they wouldn't have needed to band together with the humans, Tellerites, and Denobulans to fight the Romulans in Enterprise/form the Federation. Now, other cool factions (besides the Dominion!!!! They should CLEARLY have been next!) would be a mirror universe Federation, or a mirror universe Klingon/Cardassian alliance, Species 8472 maybe?

I am excited for more content, but man, there are much cooler factions (and way, way more powerful ones) to do instead of the Vulcans or Andorians.

Mattias wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mil05006 wrote:
WHERE IS MY DOMINION FACTION???

This! 1000 times this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mil05006 wrote:
WHERE IS MY DOMINION FACTION???

In the Gamma Quadrant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure they already said that Dominion will be another NPC faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disgustipater wrote:

That is crap
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcin marcinek
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Disgustipater wrote:

That is crap
It is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Szatany wrote:
Disgustipater wrote:

That is crap
It is not.

How is it not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because they are too powerful to be a player faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Neumann
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats all fun! There are many fun factions to be explored. The issue is how much detail we have from official sources. You have the Breen, Tholians, Gorn and many others but they have barely shown up on screen.
Then you have the Starfleet Universe factions but that would be like opening a whole different can of worms.
The Dominion would be awesome as well as wormholes but I think we should savor the Borg before bringing the dominion in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh This is exactly what I anticipated, given the factions GF9 announced last year plus those that are already out. It makes sense that they go time wise from the preFederation times in coverage, after getting out a "full" 5 Player menu of the most popular factions plus the first NPC. Also, research on Wikipedia this year told me that Star Trek Enterprise was much more popular than I thought. I liked it myself, and technically it is still in play, and could be restarted, as the cast are not "legacy" age yet.

What will be the Strengths and Weaknesses of the Vulcans and Andorians? Hmmm...

It may be relevant to reflect that these two had fought a war with each other just before or during the ST Enterprise time period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not my first choices for new factions (Tholians and Gorn) but they could be interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Knox
msg tools
mbmb
I'd have been more interested in the Tholians although that would be tough given the little screen elements to go off of but they are mentioned on the Crystalline Entity card. I think the Xindi would make a good faction as well. I loathed Enterprise when watching it with ads but, binge watching it on Netflix it was tolerable. The first season was only fair at establishing things but the later Xindi arc was cool as were the Andorian episodes. I'm a bit concerned that the announced factions might be too much more of the same. I like the difference of the Ferengi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
If these come with rules for player alliances, I'll be happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Mattias wrote:

Do we actually think these will come out in 2018? How far into production are they? Given how long the delays were for the other expansions I worry that this may be a premature announcement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
Mattias wrote:

Do we actually think these will come out in 2018? How far into production are they? Given how long the delays were for the other expansions I worry that this may be a premature announcement.
I'll bet you some geekgold if you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Corbett
United States
Foxborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious what they'll pack into these new factions. It's a little odd that they went the way they did with it, but I imagine this will open the door for them to make The Dominion a set of three expansions (The Founders, The Vorta, and The Jem'Hadar). I think what I might have liked to have seen are The Orion Syndicate. Another profit based faction that might work differently and give The Ferengi a run for their Latinum.

I think we're not getting The Dominion yet for the reason I mentioned above, and because they have to figure out how to represent another quadrant of space on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasaila Melima
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the Pakleds?
“We are looking for things. Things that make us go.”

They could be interesting.

Especially with the Borg Expansion.
When the Borg encountered a Pakled freighter, the Collective considers them unintelligent and an inefficient use of resources to assimilate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.