10 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: 2-player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Millo Millo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will play this game soon with 2 investigators.

Do you think we have to change some rules to make the game experience better and less frustrating?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the game scales well imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Wellycon XI - Back 5th June 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the app controls the challenge pretty well. It's possible on some of the larger maps that exploration may take longer than with four players, but the mythos threats are reduced correspondingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually play this game two player, with one investigator each, but found that it doesn't scale down well, and becomes a lot harder with fewer investigators.

We found the best way to mitigate this without making the game easy is to give each investigator three actions each instead of two (almost like having a third investigator).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Millo76 wrote:

Do you think we have to change some rules to make the game experience better and less frustrating?

It depends entirely on the scenario.

Most - like the introductory scenario - scale adequately well.
Some - like Escape from Innsmouth - don't scale at all well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Millo Millo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicola Zee wrote:
Millo76 wrote:

I already played Escape from Innsmouth and Circle of Eternity with 4 investigators so i will not play those scenarios again.

Do you know which scaenarios don't scale well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Turpin
Canada
Falmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a cool spreadsheet around here somewhere with win loss rates per player count.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1619768/statistics-submit-y...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NFLD wrote:
There is a cool spreadsheet around here somewhere with win loss rates per player count.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1619768/statistics-submit-y...

The stats for per player is interesting. It looks like Sentinel Hill is the only scenario that becomes harder the more players there is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
The only rule my Wife and I change is we give 3 actions to both players. The apps doom counter for turns doesn't increase based on how many players. So we found if we were just using 2 actions per player the app would time us out almost always.

So we made a rule of 3 actions per player in 2 player mode, cannot duplicate an action twice, so two can be the same action, and one has to be a different action that the previous. Since every other playercount has a minimum of 6 actions, we feel this makes the game perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sverre Brevik
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Millo76 wrote:
Nicola Zee wrote:
Millo76 wrote:

I already played Escape from Innsmouth and Circle of Eternity with 4 investigators so i will not play those scenarios again.

Do you know which scaenarios don't scale well?

None of them really scale well, however the harder scenarios become close to impossible while the easier ones just become a bit harder.
Me and one friend managed to win Cult on Sentinel Hill (think that's the name?) on our first try. And it's ranked as 3 stars. So I'm guessing if you play with just 2 players you should test the 2 and 3 star scenarios and steer clear of the 5-stars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.