Popular Tags: [View All]
kris kline

Santa Barbara
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings,

I have been playing the Hexcrawl and am amazed at the high quality, Bravo!

In any case, a quickish question: There are Advanced Gear and Services purchasable at places in the towns, such as a "Personal Locomotive" for $2500 at Blacksmith. Under what conditions are Advanced Gear purchasable? Note, there is also non advanced gear such as Spurs purchasable on a different sheet, this makes it seem that some specific criteria must be met before the Advanced Gear can be bought by the PCs...

Just curious if the author or folks who have played it have any thoughts?

I get that I can change the Gear to purchasable or not in my home campaign however I wish, just trying to find if I have missed some Gaining Advanced Gear mission or somesuch... I ask because it is probably my only chance of ever owning a Personal Locomotive. ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScottL
United States
Weare
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing it that only if the town trait has "Artisan Level" for one of the shops, then you can purchase the Advanced Gear and Services. I play a persistent campaign and have all the towns written up ahead of time (instead of random each session). A few of my towns have artisan level Doc or Church etc, so it makes things nice thematically to have to journey (sometimes far) to a specific town in order to gain access to these special shops.

In some of my town descriptions I have little pointers describing anything special about the neighboring towns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kris kline

Santa Barbara
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! Town Trait #66 "Artisan in town...may purchase Advanced Gear & Services from this Location..."

I love the idea of persistent towns, and just went ahead and rolled up mine (a starter version), some traits just go well together like Dark Stone Infused and Amazonian, or Religious Cult and Dark Secret, or Black Market and Dimensional Paradox.

Then put those towns in sensible locations. Cannibals near a desert or the Blacksmith Artisan (who makes the Personal Locomotive) near train tracks, etc.

I think I'll I wont tell those who I am gaming with that a town has a Dark Secret, but if they unveil it, will immediately summon some epic level threat like Cthulhu with a sword (forget that figures name) that gets summoned, the PCs must defeat it, and the town gets destroyed. The gears in my head are turning like mad!

Will use the pointers idea too! Nice! Perhaps at every sheriff's office or Frontier Outpost someone can provide that info, and for Artisans I imagine standard non artisans might know about where someone could find the artisan. So many locations can provide information.

To some extent this makes me the GM rather than the game playing itself but I like it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScottL
United States
Weare
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
To some extent this makes me the GM rather than the game playing itself but I like it...

Ah, but once you've rolled and fleshed out the towns once, it's kinda nice and falls back to everything playing well by itself. In fact maybe easier if you print out info sheets for each town and have them on hand when the posse travels there. Just not so much randomness and having to roll random new towns on the fly. I just did it all in one evening for the most part. But you cold always try just detailing a smaller part of the map at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.