Subject: What is PDS lore wise? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Planetary Defense System, but how does it work? It generates a planetary shield. It shoots fleets coming out of hyperspace straight from the planet's surface. It can also shoot through a wormhole? How do you imagine this? Is it a beam, a rocket? How does PDS looks like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Coomber
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I always imagined them as laser cannons mounted on satellites orbiting the planet.

With a ground station providing power to the shield and laser system. Hence their destruction when invaded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rogue One planetary shield, with giant cannons to fire deep into space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Stroom
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I used to think that they are just Ion cannons without any guiding abilities after shooting.

With the wormhole changes in TI4, it might be different. And it depends n how wormholes work. Can you just fly into a portal hole and then end up in the other side of the galaxy? This means that you can actually see what is on the other side before jumping. Or is that location just "special" area where it takes minimal technological effort to open the link to some other connected area?
In TI4, it seems like PDS is just a bunch of semi-smart cruise missiles. When you upgrade PDS units, you just increase their range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Even before TI4, and even before The Force Awakens, I kind of envisioned Space Cannon shots as being something between rockets and beams, in my mind something akin to what Starkiller Base shoots in TFA. Guided energy bolts on a massive scale. Thus, for me, going through a wormhole is fine, and Deep Space Cannons works fine, too.

Without DSC, the bolt/beam containment field or whatever only lasts so long (so it can't shoot TOO far), but with DSC, it has a bit longer range before it gives out and the shot dissipates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Sinner

St. Paul
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmb
Dwarfkingluke wrote:
I always imagined them as laser cannons mounted on satellites orbiting the planet.

With a ground station providing power to the shield and laser system. Hence their destruction when invaded.

This for me. Then Deep Space Cannons becomes Starkiller Base-esque lasers, as described above.

I picture the wormholes like the ones in Interstellar. Which flexes pretty nicely as to whether you can shoot through it or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.