Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Horton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me again

Last night, in our game featuring the errata'd Tcho Tcho, we noticed a curious thing about the wording of the errata'd "Tablets of the Gods" spellbook. It says you get an Elder Sign "for every area containing a controlled gate with one of your High Priests". This doesn't stipulate the controlled gate belong to the Tcho Tcho player, so we ruled that this applies to enemy controlled gates as well, just wanted to check if other players agree on this ruling

(obvs I'm not saying it would be strategically viable for TT to be gung-ho with their HPs, but this is quite significant when resolving pains: in our game TT's citadel got cleaned out by Windwalker and Opener, and then Nyarly used Madness to pain the High Priests into his own gate area (in the end it didn't matter because TT popped the HPs to protect them from capture by Nyarly, but we were wondering what would have happened if they had stuck around))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hobbit
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
According to the update (nr.35) it´s your Gates.
Quote:
The Tablets of the God spellbook now states that you earn 1 Elder Sign per Gated Area in which you have any high priests. You then lose all your high priests. This means you have to maintain and protect three gates to gain your 3 Elder Signs - no trivial matter for the combat-poor Tcho Tchos. Plus if you are forced into Martyrdom to protect a gate, you'll need to re-recruit him before the Doom phase.

This still lets the Tcho Tchos turtle, a little. But not as much. There is a huge difference between 2 gates & 3 gates, plus the high priests have to be split up, too. It makes the Tcho Tchos far more interactive and forces them into confrontation, which is good.

Enemies who want to meddle with the Tcho Tchos will find it much easier. A gate defended by a cultist, a high priest, and 2 proto-shoggoths is not a tough nut to crack. Remember you don't even have to kill the Tcho Tcho high priest - just get it away from the gate! Every faction has its own approach to this, which I will leave as an exercise for you players!

I have also changed the Hierophants spellbook. Now it states that when this spellbook is first received, EVERY faction with a high priest in the unit pool gets a free high priest. Thereafter, the Tcho Tchos (only) continue to get a free high priest with each subsequent spellbook.

This means that while the Tcho Tchos still start with a slight advantage in a high priest game, this is quickly trumped when the other factions get their free high priest! Also it means that, sometimes, the Tcho Tchos may wish to NOT get Hierophants as their first spellbook, to keep their enemies at bay. After all, the normal Tcho Tcho start is to get a spellbook in the first Doom phase, then take Hierophants. Now if they do this, all the other factions get a high priest too! It's like giving them all 3 Power. Kind of scary.

Both of these changes give the Tcho Tchos more choices, and this makes them more interesting to play and to play against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melle de Jong
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HortonHearsAWho wrote:
Me again

Last night, in our game featuring the errata'd Tcho Tcho, we noticed a curious thing about the wording of the errata'd "Tablets of the Gods" spellbook. It says you get an Elder Sign "for every area containing a controlled gate with one of your High Priests". This doesn't stipulate the controlled gate belong to the Tcho Tcho player, so we ruled that this applies to enemy controlled gates as well, just wanted to check if other players agree on this ruling

Never thought that you could interpret it this way. I guess it should be clarified a bit! I wouldn't be surprised if Petersen Games will release the official file soon though.
I never received an official errata text for the file I created so I made it up myself, my bad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Horton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMelluM wrote:
HortonHearsAWho wrote:
Me again

Never thought that you could interpret it this way. I guess it should be clarified a bit! I wouldn't be surprised if Petersen Games will release the official file soon though.
I never received an official errata text for the file I created so I made it up myself, my bad!
No worries: I was aware that it wasn't an official wording, hence seeking clarification

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alcex wrote:
Quote:
The Tablets of the God spellbook now states that you earn 1 Elder Sign per Gated Area in which you have any high priests. You then lose all your high priests. This means you have to maintain and protect three gates to gain your 3 Elder Signs - no trivial matter for the combat-poor Tcho Tchos. Plus if you are forced into Martyrdom to protect a gate, you'll need to re-recruit him before the Doom phase

While it's strongly implied that they must be Tcho Tchos gates, it is never directly stated. It would be nice to see a clarification before OS3 gets here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hobbit
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
shalavar wrote:

While it's strongly implied that they must be Tcho Tchos gates, it is never directly stated. It would be nice to see a clarification before OS3 gets here.

Alcex wrote:
maintain and protect three gates to gain your 3 Elder Signs

Sound pretty clear to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Alcoba T.
Bolivia
Tarija
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HortonHearsAWho wrote:
Me again

Come on, I think it was pretty clear that he was referring to your own gates...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alcex wrote:
Quote:
The Tablets of the God spellbook now states that you earn 1 Elder Sign per Gated Area in which you have any high priests.

That may be how you interpreted the statement, but it is quite ambiguous because of this part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Blozinski
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
You guys really seem to be under some sort of impression that you are reading actual rules. You might want to stop and think that you're not reading what the spellbook actually says, but a long explanation of what they intend to accomplish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So when the unofficial spellbook says "Eliminate all your High Priests afterward", does it mean all of them (wherever they may be), or just those that scored Elder Signs? Not the same thing at all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It means all of them. A wise player would sack any non-ES priests before ritualing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.