Hide
6 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Invisibility trump card! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matti Ylineva
msg tools
Hi guys! (I am pretty new with gloomhaven and do not have physical copy (yet) but have pre-ordered one copy of 2nd printing. So I may not be aware of every rules and so but here is my question! I do have played gloomhaven with tabletop simulator)

So invisibility let's its user to became untargetable by monster until the end of user's next turn. In our first mission I chose to be scoundrel and bought a cloak of invisibility. I soon found it how useful it is i.e. "door blocking" as every one knows. But I also started to think the overall usefulness of it and compare it to other armors and I think the cloak is supreme to every else (starter) armor.

Let's start by simple tactic when choosing your initiative value. I usually want to go slow or fast depending on monster position. Should melee enemies be couple of hexagons away I would often go slow, since then the monster will come to me. Lets assume they stay there where they are making this thinking fail. We'll of course one will not trust the monster will come to you so you will move to them after their turn. You go there and hit. Next turn I would (depending on the overall situation) go fast to finish the monster I attacked last turn or target another adjacent enemy. Doing so would make me be able to play my next turn before the monster. Doing this slow-fast-slow should give me a good advantage. Again nothing mind blowing. Just normal tactics and that's all.

Lets add invisibility to this and think how would we get the most benefits from it, making the monster to not focus you. Should we invert said tactic to be fast-slow-fast we could potentially attack three times before monster can target us again. During our first turn we will go fast, attack a monster and go invisible causing the monster to not focus us this turn. Next turn we will go slow so the invisibility will last as long as possible and causing the monster to still not being able to target us! Aaaaand next turn we will just go fast so we will attack before monster (yep... nothing special where... kind a let down)

Well of course this would but our allies in danger since monster will target them instead. But this "tactic" could be executed only when really needed. And our allies can handle this kind of threat...

Unless every one will do this same tactic at the same time! (well this would require that there is something to do (read kill) for everyone. Like when a door is opened). This would result the whole party to be able to play 3 turn before monster can do shit! I do not know any other items or skills than the starting ones, but since the shop items have 2 cloak of invisibility at party of two this can be done. Make it three by throwing in scoundrel with her smoke bomb!

I have not yet tested it, it will be quite situational and it can be executed once during a scenario, but oh boy what trump card this could be! Do you think a party could pull this off?

Ps. first post! be gentle to memodest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KaZeFin wrote:
But I also started to think the overall usefulness of it [invisibility cloak] and compare it to other armors and I think the cloak is supreme to every else (starter) armor.

If the Brute in the party takes the invisibility cloak over the hide armor, you never let that player in your house again.

To the rest of the post, it's not the greatest trick you'll see in GH, and it is situational-- you pop invis, and someone in your party it taking extra focus, and that might be bad. I've ran in as the SW, blasted some guys and went invis, and had the SC run into that group and go invis. Our CH was long resting out of range, and all the monsters ignored us and walked toward him-- in 50 scenarios, I only remember double invis'ing like that maybe 3 times total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
Invisibility is indeed powerful, as you will find out at the latest when you unlock some of the new classes. The problem is, that they can only be used once per scenario and as you already said, you would in many situations just avoid damage to you and remit it to your allies.

Tanks would rather want something like the hide armor, to give reliable damage reduction while protecting weaker characters. I'm no big fan of the leather armor, and I would kind of agree with you, that I would always chose the invis cloak over it. I think that's it already for starting gear armors. Don't worry though, better stuff is comming later on. I am now at prosperity level 7 with alot of other items unlocked and the invis cloak is still a viable but no automatic choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matti Ylineva
msg tools
I never suggested that it was a silver bullet! Yes, I agree that it is not greatest trick and it is qiote situational. Might not even be usable. But it IS a tactic and what kind of tactics you use depends on many different things (Party, figures position etc.) What if you don't have Brute in your party?

About the "happening" of double invis you mentioned, which you deemed to be really rare: Yes, I do not think this is going to happen by itself, so the whole party would need to strive for it. And about uninvis taking extra focus...

SaintHax wrote:
Our CH was long resting out of range, and all the monsters ignored us and walked toward him

You said it! One must to know when these kind of things can be used. Point of the post was to add one more dagger to your armory. Not so you would always use it, but should the situation rise, well you would have one extra tactic to consider

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matti Ylineva
msg tools
danom wrote:
I am now at prosperity level 7 with alot of other items unlocked and the invis cloak is still a viable but no automatic choice.

Oh, how I love that not all starting items will be rubbish in later of the game! And yes I agree that tanks would want something other to wear and not those "one time" reduction.

danom wrote:
you would in many situations just avoid damage to you and remit it to your allies.

This is indeed the biggest weakness of invis. Since the game is a co-op the party would need to agree to this tactic. Otherwise they will most likely hate you. Or just do a trick which will reduce the extra focus that the other party members would receive (like infamous door blocking)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KaZeFin wrote:
This is indeed the biggest weakness of invis. Since the game is a co-op the party would need to agree to this tactic. Otherwise they will most likely hate you. Or just do a trick which will reduce the extra focus that the other party members would receive (like infamous door blocking)

They brought it on themselves hoarding the gold they've been picking up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.