Subject: What information do you announce? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nimrod Breger
Germany
Dusseldorf
flag msg tools
Hey all,

I was wondering how do you handle changes that happen during the game and letting people know about them.

For example:
1. If the technology SC is used, each one also announce what technology they took? or do you take your technology quietly.
2. If the construction SC is used, then you let everyone know where you build a PDS/space dock?

These are just 2 examples but it can be asked about every SC.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Delespaul
Belgium
flag msg tools
I say:

1. Use common sense.
2. Keeping track of public information is a shared responsibility of all players.
3. Each player bears special responsibility for their own public information, i.e. if you do something (e.g. take tech, build units), you announce it. If someone wasn't paying attention (which happens frequently in a game with as much going on as TI4), that's on them. But if someone asks about your public information, you answer promptly and truthfully (obviously).
4. You don't have any special responsibility to volunteer info about what your racial abilities, flagship, techs, etc. can do on the game board.
Example: in my previous game, I was Xxcha and has my flagship next to MR. When another player considered moving into MR, I did not announce that I would be able to Space Cannon them for 6x4 (with Plasma Scoring + Graviton), and as soon as they did move in, I tried to extort them in order NOT to fire. I think that was fair game; YMMV.
5. Encourage your players to walk around the table periodically and see what other players are capable of in terms of abilities, tech, etc. (only public information, of course!). It helps them make better decisions, it helps to keep the game moving, and sitting still for many hours is not healthy anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Typically we're all about speeding up game play and do many things simultaneously, or skip ahead during production to next player; unless someone wants proper order to react. We just announce what we got for techs which could be 1 - 3 actions later as some people think longer.

Do what ever makes the game more fun for your play group. If you demand all next tech owners must climb a pulpit and announce it to the universe do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do everything you can in this game simultaneously. It matters.

If it is public info anyway, then announce it. (in a 8 player game there is no way you can see what people have across the board anyway) Certainly people need to announce they are taking a secondary, and for things like tech its helpful to announce it since someone can just ask you anyway. So save the time and announce it. Good players will check the game state often anyway so if you can save 2 min a turn keeping people from asking then do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dodo
Germany
Herzogenrath
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mogron272 wrote:

2. If the construction SC is used, then you let everyone know where you build a PDS/space dock

The other Players can see where you build your PDS/SD...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Naz
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If each player at the table is going to ask you separately during each of their next turns what you did, then please announce what you are doing and save us all a lot of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We try to be fairly proactive about announcing things that are public knowledge. Specifically, when someone takes Technology, we all announce who's piggybacking on the secondary, then take a bit to decide what to get, and then we do a quick "round-the-table" announcing what we bought.

I do agree that you're under no compulsion to remind people if you have a useful racial or flagship ability that might come up. Besides, one of the main TI4 survival skills is getting into the habit of seeing a flagship near their systems and asking, "Remind me, what does your flagship do again?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james herbby
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Warsuns, cruiser 2 and light wave.

Basically anything that jumps your threat or can impact the game much more than, say, firing PDS in an adjacent system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wolfe
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb

Unless you want people asking you explicitly what you just did every 30 seconds, you should be proactive and tell them the important stuff. If it's not hidden knowledge, then purposefully trying to hide it is dishonest at best - cheating at worst.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.