Subject: Which cards would you change? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the worst (or best) cards in the game right now and how would you fix them?
Here are some of my thoughts (disclaimer: only played through base campaign on normal 2 investigators, dunwich on hard 3 investigators and part way on normal with 4, up to date on carcossa 3 investigators, haven't tried every investigators yet either).

First Aid: Cost-1 (from 2 to 1), supplies+1 (from 3 to 4)
Bandolier: Health+1 (to 2)
Blackjack: Cost+1 (from 1 to 2), Damage+1 vs. enemies engaged with other investigators (remove no damage against other investigators)
Springfield M1903 (4): Can target aloof and massive enemies in your location. Can target enemies in adjacent revealed locations but you get no strength bonus.
Trench Knife: Make it fast and/or give you a free engage action once per turn.
Ambush: Effect also works when enemies move into the space.

Medical Text: Only take damage if you fail by 2 or more.
I've Got a Plan!: Max Damage-1
Higher Education (3): 5 cards in hand --> 7 cards in hand
Strange Solution: Restorative Concoction (4): Change action to free action, once per turn.
Strange Solution: Acidic Ichor (4): Cost+2 (from 1 to 3)
Strange Solution: Freezing Variant (4): Cost+1 (from 1 to 2). Evade up to 2 enemies
Disc of Izathma: Experience cost-1 (from 2)

Book of Shadows (2): Cost-2 (from 3)
Book of Shadows (3): Experience cost-1 (from 3 to 2), Cost-2 (from 4)
Clarity of Mind: Heal 2 horror isntead of 1
Song of the Dead (2): Experience-1 (from 2 to 1), Cost-1 (from 2 to 1). Skull = +1 damage or regain 1 sanity or 1 charge
Alchemic Transmutation: Max 4 resources per test instead of 3

Switchblade: +2 additional strength vs exhausted enemies
Switchblade (2): +2 additional strength vs exhausted enemies.
.41 Derringer: +2 additional strength if your agility > enemy evade by 2 or more
Liquid Courage: Only take damage if you fail by 2 or more.
Contraband: Cost-2 (from 4 to 2)
Joey the Rat Vigil: Health-1 (from 3 to 2), Cost-2 (from 4 to 2)

Aquinnah (2): Cost-2 (from 5 to 3)
Peter Sylvestre (2): Experience cost+1 (from 2 to 3)
Try and Try Again (3): Cost-1 (from 2 to 1), Experience Cost-1 (from 3 to 2)
Lure: Can be placed in an adjacent revealed location

Knife: Cost-1 (from 1 to 0)
Bulletproof/Elder Sign Amulet (3): Experience cost-1 (from 3 to 2)
4 desperation skills: Make it scale, 1 icon at anytime, 2 icons at 5 sanity or lower, 4 icons at 3 sanity or lower.

Investigators
Rex Murphy: Ability is now "Limit once per turn"
Daisy's Tote Bag: Tomes no longer provoke attacks of opportunity.
Heirloom of Hyperborea: Spell cost-1 (minimum 0)
Jim's Trumpet: Heals 1 horror from all investigators in its space or an adjacent space when a skull is revealed.

Searching for Izzie: Action cost-1 (from 2)
Star of Hyades: Revelation: take 1 horror or damage
The King in Yellow: Icons required is 5 instead of 6

EDIT: Incorporated ideas posted below. Credit to those that posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hotovec
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, I like this idea for a thread. Second, the fixes for peter and higher education specifically would make them near unusable, they are fine as they are, a little more powerful than some of the others at their level yes, but given the classes they kind of need to be, same with switch blade and .41 derringer, if they were changed as you suggest why would any one play guardian? Rogues would be better fighters. however I do like your solution to first aid and lure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hardly think minor adjustments makes them unusable...especially if you already admit they are more powerful than others. Peter is too insane value, near infinite sanity + increase 2 stats at a low cost. A middle point can be reached though, perhaps 6 cards for higher education and experience+1 for peter.

I can agree with somethings though like derringer probably doesnt really need much and maybe something else for switchblade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian K
England
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would change some of the monster cards, because the damned things keep killing me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I already usually forego Higher Education. It's a must-include for many, but I seem to rarely have the cards in hand to make it useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pogatshnik
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Springfield M1903

XP cost reduced to 3 (from 4)
Change text to read: ".... Cannot be used to attack enemies engaged with you, unless that enemy has the Massive keyword."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Craig
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Change the Springfield so it can attack Aloof enemies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Leafman
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cards I would nerf:

Machete
: Costs 2 XP (from 0).

Fire Axe: Costs 3 resources (from 1).

Higher Education, Streetwise, Keen Eye, Blood Pact, Scrapper: Removed from the game.

Acidic Ichor: 2 charges (from 3).

I've Got a Plan!: Maximum of +2 damage (from +3).

Rex Murphy: Add (limit once per turn) to his ability.

Will to Survive: Gains the "exceptional" keyword.

Basically I think the above cards are a little too powerful and game-warping and should be a little more costly. The infinitely reusable Machete and Fire Axe are so strong that they make the level 0 weapons that use ammo kind of pointless (these still see play, but pretty much only as backup options in case you don't draw Machete or Fire Axe).

For Acidic Ichor and I've Got a Plan!, I philosophically object to the Seeker class having access to massive damage that efficient and powerful. Compare Lightning Gun and Backstab, respectively--should the Seeker class really get what amounts to stronger versions of each of these cards? I don't think so.

If Rex's ability is limited to once per turn, it's roughly in line with what other investigators can do (compare e.g. Roland). Rex will still be very very strong.

I think playing Will to Survive should be a really dramatic and rare moment--the fact that the card removes all chance from the game and lets you play god for a turn is cool, but it shouldn't be happening all the time. Besides, the power of the card can easily justify a 6 XP cost.

I think Permanents were a design mistake. Charisma and Relic Hunter are OK because they grant a speculative rather than immediate benefit. But things like Higher Education and Streetwise that automatically start in play and dramatically power up an investigator are no good. I'd get rid of them.

Cards I would buff:

Book of Shadows: Grants +1 Will when casting spells.

Springfield: Gains the ability to attack enemies 1 space away, but loses its +3 Fight bonus when doing so (it still keeps its +2 damage bonus).

Try and Try Again
: In addition to the returning the skill card, its reaction trigger also grants +2 to the next skill test you attempt this round.

Daisy's Tote Bag: Gains "while Daisy's Tote Bag is in play, Tome actions no longer provoke attacks of opportunity."

Heirloom of Hyperborea
: Gains "spells now cost 1 less resource to play (minimum 0)."

Jim's Trumpet
: Heals 1 horror from all investigators in its space or an adjacent space when a skull is revealed (rather than choosing one to be healed.)

The Springfield is just a totally botched design that needs to be overhauled. I think the ability to snipe long-distance targets would be a cool niche for this weapon. Book of Shadows and Try and Try Again are really cool but too inefficient to ever be playable, so I gave them a little boost.

I think special investigator cards should be really powerful and fun, cards you're thrilled to see in your opening hand. So I tried to boost some of the ones I see as lacking.

Weaknesses I would change:

Cover Up
: If Cover Up is drawn and there are not enough clues on the board to possibly resolve it, discard Cover Up and Roland takes 1 horror instead.

I think getting stuck with a literally unsolvable weakness that inflicts trauma is lame.

New rules:

Strange Solution: If you identify the solution and purchase an upgraded version, you no longer choose a specific Strange Solution and add it to your deck. Instead, you shuffle the upgraded Strange Solutions before each scenario and without looking add one (or two, if you've purchased two upgrades) to your deck. One scenario you might have two Acidic Ichors, the next you might get one Freezing Variant and one Restorative Concoction. How fun!

Zoey's Cross and Zoey's special ability: These now work against Massive enemies.

The official ruling is that they don't, and I hate it. It's counterintuitive, and, more importantly, athematic. Zoey should be at her strongest and most righteous when she hunts down the biggest monsters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@CaiusDrewart, I like your suggestions! When playing solo, I might actually try some of these changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Leafman
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fatesadvent wrote:
@CaiusDrewart, I like your suggestions! When playing solo, I might actually try some of these changes.

I like yours as well! I agree that pretty much all of the cards you suggested boosting are genuinely underpowered, and that your variants would result in more interesting deckbuilding decisions. I particularly like the suggestions of Switchblade getting a boost vs. exhausted enemies and Trench Knife giving a free engage action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some others I think are a bit weak as well are

Ambush: should also work when enemies move into a location (its to resource intensive to manipulate the encounter deck for this and too unreliable to predict when something will spawn on you otherwise)

Disc of Izathma: kind of costs a lot compared to Ward of Protection.

Jewel of Aureolus: not sure, but kind of expensive and takes awhile to pay for itself for a 3xp card. You might not pull any symbols for awhile and get nothing for it.

Pickpocket: same as above, but its 0xp card.

True Grit: why does this exist when Brother Xavier is a thing (well besides it costing 0 XP and it saves your ally slot).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Leafman
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Another thing I'd change would be some Elder Sign abilities. A lot of them just boil down to a large bonus to the test result. The vast majority of the time, then, these Elder Signs are essentially equivalent to a "0". (Usually the game doesn't care how much you succeed by, and if you're taking a lot of tests where you need a big positive result from the Elder Sign to pass, you're doing something wrong.) In fact, though I have spent a lot of time playing this game, I cannot recall a single instance where Roland, Jenny, Mark, Agnes, or Wendy's Elder Sign ability produced a better result than a "0" would have. It's possible, but it's extremely rare. This means Elder Signs are not as exciting as they could and should be.

So I'd like to give these investigators some actually useful Elder Sign abilities, ideally in some way harmonizing with the rest of the investigator's design. Something like:

Jenny: Draw a card for every 5 resources you have.

Wendy: If you revealed the Elder Sign after using Wendy's ability, you may return the discarded card to your hand.

etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't stop there! I did notice that I was always thrilled to get the Elder Sign as Yorick because it set off combos, not just okay I succeed as I expected.

Agnes: Instead of +1 per horror
+1. If you succeed, recover 1 sanity and 1 additional sanity for every 3 points you succeed by (max 3)

Jenny: Instead of +1 per resource
+1. If you succeed, draw 1 card for every 5 resources you have (max 3)

Mark: Instead of +1 per damage
+1. If you suceed, recover 1 health and 1 additional health for every 3 points you succeed by (max 3).

Roland: Instead of +1 per clue at location
+1. Add 1 ammo or supply to an asset you control.

Wendy: Instead of auto succeed with amulet
+1. You may add an event from your discard pile to your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kbclac wrote:
Change the Springfield so it can attack Aloof enemies
and/or allow it to shoot at targets at adjacent locations or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.