Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
DTDA Games

France
msg tools
mb
///*** This topic is currently under construction. ***\\\

Introduction

This is the official FAQ for Light Hunters.

To get further informations than you don't find on the printed rules book, you can download the app (Android & iOS) "Light Hunters - Game Rules" or check the updated pdf of the rules.

How to start?

Battalion of Darkness
To have a good start, we advise you to begin playing by selecting your heroes among the 8 former heroes of the game. Once you master the basic of the game (1 or 2 games are enough to get it), you can start playing with the heroes of the extensions, who add new mechanics to each characters which can be difficult to handle as a beginner.

Don't forget that Light Hunters is a team-based game, you will have a better experience with 4 players (even if you can play with only 2 players).

Be careful when choosing your hero's class! Tank, Fighter, Healer or Spellcaster, think about balancing your team if you don't want to be crushed in less than 3 minutes!

Game Play

Q. Whenever it's not mentioned "for one turn" does an effect stay?
A. Every skills are available for one turn, except for the Illumination skill of 3 characters: Bergljot, Chiharu et Illariy. In their case, it is written that their skill remain active until the end of the game.

Q. Once the Ether hits level 5, does it stay at 5 until the end of the game or does it reset to level 1?
A. Once level 5 of Ether is reached, it stays at 5.

Q. If a Hero dies and they have Spirit of Light cards in their hand, do they just discard those cards?
A. If a hero dies, the player discards all his hand. Even if Weyaya (who can resurrect a dead hero) is in his team, the resurrected hero will have to build his hand anew!

Q. When a Hero dies, do his active skills disappear with him?
A. No, when a Hero dies, every skill cast on other heroes before his execution remains active.

Q. Can I show my cards to my teammates?
A. No, Light Hunters is a team-based game, it is therefore strongly advised to talk to one another in order to coordinate the team's efforts, however it is forbidden to show your hand to teammates.

Q. Where is the "Free-For-All" mode that was unlocked during the KS campaign?
A. The rules for this variant are found in the mobile app and the online pdf of the rules.

Heroes Skills

Q. When you steal or discard a card from someone hand, do you choose it?
A. You choose the card to discard or steal from your opponent but without seeing his hand.

Q. Does the term "allied hero" refer to another hero of the team, or can it be the hero who cast the skill?
A. The term "allied hero" refer to the whole team, including the one who cast the skill.

Q. In case of multiple protective skills, what happens?
A. When there are many active protections, the team protections are the first to be used, then the individuals. If there are several team protections or individual protections, This is the defending team who choose which protection to discard.

Q. Do the attacks of type "can't be avoided by a skill" trigger protections?
A. No, this kind of attack bypasses the protections, these remain active after the attack.

Battalion of Darkness
Q. Balder: If Balder is on the frontline and the enemy uses an attack that damages all opponents, does Balder receive all the damage that would have been dealt to allied heroes?
A. Yes, if the attack deals damage to all enemy heroes, Balder receive all the damage.

Q. Balder: If a character is resurrected on the same round as Balder played "War Cry", does he or she get the bonus? Or only the characters that were alive when "War Cry" was played?
A. If it is in the same round, and the "War Cry" is still active, then the resurrected Hero benefits of it too.

Q. Lucrecia: How does "Fog" work? "Avoid next enemy attack for all allies."
A. The third skill of Lucrecia (Fog/Brume) is symbolized by placing her Spirit of Light card in front of her, face up, meaning it is an active skill. If an enemy attacks, the team is protected by Lucrecia's skill, no damage is dealt, and the card in front of Lucrecia is discarded. The next enemy attack during this round will however deal damage. The enemy team can choose to not attack during the round to spare their cards, and let the other team spend theirs in defense.

Q. Dagbjart: Can "Ether Potion" be used more than once in a turn?
A. Yes, if you have multiple Dawn cards, you can play them to increase the Ether level of Dagbjart on the same turn.

Q. Weyaya/Ozu: When Ozu is summoned, he must be placed on the front line in front of Weyaya. But does he only protect Weyaya or all the allied heroes?
A. Ozu is the puppet only of Weyaya, and therefore protects only his master!

Q. Weyaya/Ozu: If Ozu survives more than one turn, does he play directly after Weyaya?
A. Yes, if Ozu survives one or more rounds of play, he attacks each turn. His points of attack can be increased by Weyaya's 4th skill "Ritual."

Q. Weyaya/Ozu: Is Ozu considered a defensive skill and thus can be ignored by Jamshaid's Claw Strike to directly hit Weyaya?
A. Ozu is not a defensive skill, same as Balder's Bravery. Ozu doesn't allow Weyaya to avoid an attack, he receives it instead of Weyaya.

Rise of the East
Q. Chenguang: If I cancel a team protection with Chenguang's "Persuasion", do all the heroes lose their protection?
A. Yes, when a skill is canceled or moved, all its effects are modified.

Q. Akihiko: Akihiko's "Katana" deals "as much damage as Dawn cards discarded", does it include the card used to cast the skill?
A. Yes, the card used to cast the skill counts in the final count.

Q. Akihiko: Is it correct that Akihiko's "Seppuku" skill ("inflicts 4 damage to kill an enemy hero") can not be countered by dodging?
A. Seppuku can be dodged! An archer's roll or a swordsman's shield can counter this ultimate attack which would still inflict 4 damage on Akihiko. This is the whole game of samurai, you must be patient, attentive and attack at the right time!

Q. Akihiko: About "Seppuku," what if Akihiko has 4 health remaining?
A. If Akihiko has 4 health or less remaining, he can cast "Seppuku" as long as he is not the last hero of his team alive. However, if he is the last hero of his battalion, he can't win by using this skill, as he technically dies before killing his opponent.

Q. Chiharu: How does Chiharu’s traps work ?
A. The Spirit of Light cards are place face down in front of allied Heroes. Only Chiharu knows what trap is in place, even her teammates are not aware of which one is protecting them. When the enemy attacks a hero protected by a trap, the trap is activated. If not, the trap is discarded at the end of the round.

Q. Chiharu: What happens if several traps are laid on a hero who receives an attack?
A. Only one trap is activated at a time, Chiharu decides which trap to activate first.

Q. Chiharu: If someone falls in a trap, is the trap removed afterwards?
A. Yes, the trap only works once.

Q. Chiharu: Can the traps be dodged with a skill?
A. Yes, traps are considered as an attack.

Dawn of Amazonia
Q. Catequil: Can "Citadel" be used to steal an active skill from an opponent and give it to an ally?
A. This is exactly what "Citadel" does. Catequil can steal an ennemy protection to apply it to an allied, skill such as shields, traps, freeze, …
The skill expires on the turn of whomever originally cast it.

Q. Catequil: Can he use "Sacrifice" on himself?
A. No, Catequil has too much pride for that!

Q. Catequil: When casting "Sacrifice", can Ozu (or Ocēlōtl ) be sacrified as the allied hero?
A. No, "Sacrificing an allied hero" can't work on Ozu or Ocēlōtl , they are not considered as heroes.

Q. Catequil: Can Catequill "bank" his upgraded Spirit of Light card from "Favor"? Or does it have to be used on the spot?
A. No banking, it has to be use right away!

Q. Evaki: "Spear" costs 0 ether. Does that mean Evaki can use Spear equal to the number of Dawn cards she has (even during the first round of the game)?
A. Evaki is a card hoarder. She can use her first skill "Spear" as much as she can discard Dawn cards (even during round 1). This powerful skill - in apparence - is balanced by her low health and her 4th skill which costs 5 Ether.

Q. Intipacha: Does Intipacha's "Eclipse" reduce an enemy's ether level only during his next turn?
A. Yes, all skills are valid only one round, unless specifically stated.

Q. Intipacha: Does the "Possession" skill of Intipacha change the order of the turn?
A. No, "Possession" does not change the order of the turn, it is the player who takes control of the opposing hero on his next turn. He then takes the cards owned by the player , and can use the skills of his choice against the opposing battalion, he can also discard the game of his victim to limit his actions in the next round.

Q. Illariy: Is it possible to cast "Ceremony" several times?
A. No, Illariy's "Ceremony" allows her to transform herself into a jaguar, she can perform this transformation only once in the game.

Components

Q. What sizes are the cards?
A. Heroes cards are 63x170mm and the Spirit of Light cards are 63x88mm.

--- Updated Status ---
Q. Where to buy an english version of the game?
A. The game is currently printed again. You can pre-order an english copy on our webshop.

Q. Is it possible to download the card holders' 3D model to print them myself?
A. Yes, the card holders' model is updated in 2 versions with two different card spacing (the molded model and the optimized version for 3D Printer): Download model on Thingiverse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Washburn
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played my first battle. Fun!! I didn't expect how important the card play would be, and luck of the draw.

A little more clarification on traps if I may... I assume the attacker's damage is still inflicted to Chiharu (or ally if applicable). Right? For "Poisoning," when is the damage dealt? At the beginning of each round or on Chiharu's turn? Is poison damage also dealt at the moment the trap is triggered?

Another question about "Seppuku," what if Akihiko has 4 health remaining? Can seppuku still be cast, killing Akihiko? What if he has 3 health remaining?

Catequil: Can "Citadel" be used to steal an active skill from an opponent and give it to an ally? Regardless, I assume the active skill expires on the turn of whomever originally cast it.

One more I'm confused about, sorry! In the rules, why is "discard an active skill card" #5 and not #1? Does a 1 round skill not end prior to drawing two cards? For instance, Weyaya's "Ritual," I'm assuming it must be used in combination with Lightning Bolt (4+1 ether). Or, will the attack boost remain the following turn before it ends?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DTDA Games

France
msg tools
mb
heathbarATL wrote:
Just played my first battle. Fun!! I didn't expect how important the card play would be, and luck of the draw.

laugh

heathbarATL wrote:
A little more clarification on traps if I may... I assume the attacker's damage is still inflicted to Chiharu (or ally if applicable). Right? For "Poisoning," when is the damage dealt? At the beginning of each round or on Chiharu's turn? Is poison damage also dealt at the moment the trap is triggered?

It depends on the trap! With "Snooping" and "Poisoning", damages are still dealt to Chiharu or the ally. With "Ambush", none are dealt.
When an ennemy hero triggers "Poisoning", he immediately takes 1 damage. The "Illumination" card is placed in front of the ennemy hero, and at the beginning of each of his turn, he loses an other health point.

heathbarATL wrote:
Another question about "Seppuku," what if Akihiko has 4 health remaining? Can seppuku still be cast, killing Akihiko? What if he has 3 health remaining?

Adding it to the FAQ - If Akihiko has 4 health or less remaining, he can cast "Seppuku" as long as he is not the last hero of his team alive. However, if he is the last hero of his battalion, he can't win by using this skill, as he technically dies before killing his opponent.

heathbarATL wrote:
Catequil: Can "Citadel" be used to steal an active skill from an opponent and give it to an ally? Regardless, I assume the active skill expires on the turn of whomever originally cast it.

Adding it to the FAQ - This is exactly what "Citadel" does. Catequil can steal an ennemy protection to apply it to an allied, skill such as shields, traps, freeze, …
The skill expires on the turn of whomever originally cast it.

heathbarATL wrote:
One more I'm confused about, sorry! In the rules, why is "discard an active skill card" #5 and not #1? Does a 1 round skill not end prior to drawing two cards? For instance, Weyaya's "Ritual," I'm assuming it must be used in combination with Lightning Bolt (4+1 ether). Or, will the attack boost remain the following turn before it ends?

My turn to be confused Don't see what you want to say there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Washburn
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the answers!!
DTDAGames wrote:
heathbarATL wrote:

My turn to be confused Don't see what you want to say there.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear! Let me try again.

From the rules - Hero's Turn:
Quote:
1. Draw 2 cards.
2. Play Spirit of Light cards.
5. If the hero has an active skill, and the skill ends, the hero must begin their turn by discarding the card.

So, if discarding an active skill "begins" their turn, why is it #5 on a hero's turn order. Should it be #1 instead? Before drawing 2 cards?

Example using Weyaya: Ritual costs 4 ether and will boost an attack +2 damage.
Round 4 - Draw 2 cards. Cast Ritual (4 ether).
Round 5 - Draw 2 cards. Does Ritual expire before or after Weyaya can cast Lightning Bolt with the +2 damage boost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DTDA Games

France
msg tools
mb
heathbarATL wrote:
From the rules - Hero's Turn:
1. Draw 2 cards.
2. Play Spirit of Light cards.
5. If the hero has an active skill, and the skill ends, the hero must begin their turn by discarding the card.

So, if discarding an active skill "begins" their turn, why is it #5 on a hero's turn order. Should it be #1 instead? Before drawing 2 cards?

Example using Weyaya: Ritual costs 4 ether and will boost an attack +2 damage.
Round 4 - Draw 2 cards. Cast Ritual (4 ether).
Round 5 - Draw 2 cards. Does Ritual expire before or after Weyaya can cast Lightning Bolt with the +2 damage boost?

Skills expire before drawing 2 cards. Should be #0 action.
So, the Ritual can not be combined on 2 turns, and it's a skill to increase Ozu's damage, not those of Weyaya.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Washburn
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Washburn
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I'm the only one asking questions!

If Balder is on the frontline and the enemy uses an attack that damages ALL opponents (let's say 1 damage per opponent), does Balder receive damage that would have been dealt to all 4 heroes, resulting in 4 damage to him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DTDA Games

France
msg tools
mb
heathbarATL wrote:
Sorry I'm the only one asking questions!

If Balder is on the frontline and the enemy uses an attack that damages ALL opponents (let's say 1 damage per opponent), does Balder receive damage that would have been dealt to all 4 heroes, resulting in 4 damage to him?

Don't be sorry

Balder takes all the damage of an attack when in front line. So in a 4Vs4, with 1 damage per opponent, he will receive 4 damage!

[FAQ Updated]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cote
msg tools
Q. Dagbjart: Ether Potion. Increase his Ether level by 1 for 1 round. Can this be used more than once in a turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DTDA Games

France
msg tools
mb
SeekrZero wrote:
Q. Dagbjart: Ether Potion. Increase his Ether level by 1 for 1 round. Can this be used more than once in a turn?

Yes! If you have multiple Dawn cards, you can play them to increase the Ether level of Dagbjart on the same turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cote
msg tools
Trying to make sure I understand how this works. For example. First turn with Dagbjart, my hand is 3 Dawn and 1 New Day after draw for turn. I could use to the 3 Dawn to get to 4 Ether for turn and use the 1 New Day to use Violent Winds? Thanks so much can't wait to play got my KS copy yesterday in the mail!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DTDA Games

France
msg tools
mb
SeekrZero wrote:
For example. First turn with Dagbjart, my hand is 3 Dawn and 1 New Day after draw for turn. I could use to the 3 Dawn to get to 4 Ether for turn and use the 1 New Day to use Violent Winds?

Exactly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cote
msg tools
Awesome Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Nunnelly
msg tools
Ilary;
Does playing ceremony increase the damage of the jaguar being summoned by 2 as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DTDA Games

France
msg tools
mb
ntrpe wrote:
Ilary;
Does playing ceremony increase the damage of the jaguar being summoned by 2 as well?

"Ceremony" increases her damage by two, so it is not applicable to her jaguar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Nunnelly
msg tools
Thanks for the response!

Another quick one
Can the discard pile be looked through by anyone at any time? Or say only Mitsuko when she is pulling from it. Or in other words, can you look through the discarded hand of a dead hero once it hits the pile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DTDA Games

France
msg tools
mb
ntrpe wrote:
Thanks for the response!

Another quick one
Can the discard pile be looked through by anyone at any time? Or say only Mitsuko when she is pulling from it. Or in other words, can you look through the discarded hand of a dead hero once it hits the pile?

There is no strict rules about it. Theoretically, you shouldn't look through it in the middle of the game, except if you are Mitsuko and casting your "Divine Favor".

I guess you ask this cause you want to follow the count of Illumination's cards still in game? But most of the time, a dead hero proudly tells the other players that he had an Illumination card cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Nunnelly
msg tools
Does Bergljot's illumination skill also go by damage reduction skills? Or since they are not avoiding the attack, do they still take reduced damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ortega

Pennsylvania
msg tools
When a hero dies, how does that effect the turn order? Does it remain the same and you include the fallen heroes in the turn order but they don’t do anything or is the turn order restructured?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DTDA Games

France
msg tools
mb
ntrpe wrote:
Does Bergljot's illumination skill also go by damage reduction skills? Or since they are not avoiding the attack, do they still take reduced damage?

The attack can't be avoided but goes by the damage reduction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DTDA Games

France
msg tools
mb
a0rtega wrote:
When a hero dies, how does that effect the turn order? Does it remain the same and you include the fallen heroes in the turn order but they don’t do anything or is the turn order restructured?

The turn order stays the same. No restructuration

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Nunnelly
msg tools
Can you stack Ilariy's Ceremony?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DTDA Games

France
msg tools
mb
ntrpe wrote:
Can you stack Ilariy's Ceremony?

Hi Matt,

No, you can't stack Illariy's Ceremony! She can only have one Illumination card active in front of her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lasher Mayfair
msg tools
If Jamshaid attacks someone with a hook and Balder takes the damage due to bravery, who gets frozen? The original target, Balder or no one at all?

If Balder plays Frenzy,and Jamshaid is protected by armour, what happens? Armor doesn't let Jamshaid dodge the attack, merely reducing the damage by 1. Is the attack "avoided" and the freeze effect lost or does the attack go though with 0 damage and freeze Jamshaid?

If Belgljot has her destiny active, can she deal damage to someone affected by Jamshaid's immortality?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DTDA Games

France
msg tools
mb
Lasher48 wrote:
If Jamshaid attacks someone with a hook and Balder takes the damage due to bravery, who gets frozen? The original target, Balder or no one at all?

If Balder plays Frenzy,and Jamshaid is protected by armour, what happens? Armor doesn't let Jamshaid dodge the attack, merely reducing the damage by 1. Is the attack "avoided" and the freeze effect lost or does the attack go though with 0 damage and freeze Jamshaid?

If Belgljot has her destiny active, can she deal damage to someone affected by Jamshaid's immortality?

Hi Lasher Mayfair,

The effects of a skill can't be separated, when Balder goes in frontline, he takes all the effects of the skill. In this case, he takes the damage and get frozen.

With Balder's Frenzy, it is the same. Even with Jamshaid's Armor, that is only a defence Bonus. Jamshaid doesn't take the 1 damage but get frozen.

Jamshaid's Immortality prevents him and his team to receive damage for 1 turn, even with Bergljot's Destiny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.