Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrey Stepanov
Russia
Arkhangelskaya oblast
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello!
I want to play the The Campaign Scenario, I began to carefully read the rules and I had questions.

1) The Campaign Scenario begins in March I. Forces are exposed from the Scenario II (PQ-12). What forces to set up if I start the Scenario, for example, since June I?

2)15.6.2 Submarines: Place sunken or damaged British subs at Lerwick, and Soviet subs at Murmansk, the Fortnight they are lost.
In Allied Campaign OOB chart there is no one submarine in «replacements». Does this mean that every sunken or damaged British or soviet submarine must return to the game in the form of a replacements?

3)15.6.2 Submarines: Replace sunken German subs during the Order of Battle Phase as listed on the Campaign Order of Battle, placing them at Bergen or Trondheim.
The Axis Campaign OOB chart indicates that German submarines are returning to Germany Box or Kiel, and the rule 15.6.2 indicates that submarines are returning to Bergen or Trondheim. What to believe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brazier
United Kingdom
Banchory
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Andrey,

In Chris' absence I'll answer your questions as best I can:

1) The Campaign Scenario begins in March I. Forces are exposed from the Scenario II (PQ-12). What forces to set up if I start the Scenario, for example, since June I?

If you want to start the campaign at a later date, use the Scenario II/PQ-12 setup as normal then work through the Axis and Allied Campaign Order of Battle until you reach the point you want to start the campaign at. Having said that, I'd recommend you start from March I, the campaign is a different experience to the scenarios and it's where PQ-17 really shines. Starting it later means you will miss out on some of that.

2)15.6.2 Submarines: Place sunken or damaged British subs at Lerwick, and Soviet subs at Murmansk, the Fortnight they are lost.
In Allied Campaign OOB chart there is no one submarine in «replacements». Does this mean that every sunken or damaged British or soviet submarine must return to the game in the form of a replacements?

This means that if a British or Soviet sub is sunk/damaged, simply place it in Lerwick (British) or Murmansk (Soviet) the fortnight they are lost, no need to count replacements, etc.

3)15.6.2 Submarines: Replace sunken German subs during the Order of Battle Phase as listed on the Campaign Order of Battle, placing them at Bergen or Trondheim.
The Axis Campaign OOB chart indicates that German submarines are returning to Germany Box or Kiel, and the rule 15.6.2 indicates that submarines are returning to Bergen or Trondheim. What to believe?

Good question! I'd be inclined to say Bergen or Trondheim, following the rule book rather than the play aid. We will clarify this in the v 2 rules.

Let me know if you have any more questions and enjoy the campaign, I've played it through three times and it's the best way to get the most out of the game and the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey Stepanov
Russia
Arkhangelskaya oblast
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you, Andrew!

Quote:
This means that if a British or Soviet sub is sunk/damaged, simply place it in Lerwick (British) or Murmansk (Soviet) the fortnight they are lost, no need to count replacements, etc.

I thought that because of reinforcements this rule leads to a slow increase in the number of submarines. I do not know about British submarines, but the number of Soviet submarines in 1942 was approximately the same.

Another small question. In the lower part of the Allied Campaign Order of Battle chart it is written about Additional Air Replacements (2 BR or US CS+1SU CS). Is it right? In the rules there is nothing about these additional Air Replacements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brazier
United Kingdom
Banchory
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Andrey,

Potentially yes, however, over all the campaigns I’ve played I think we maybe saw 1 Soviet sub sunk and 2 Allied ones so I think any increase in submarine numbers will be very small.

Regarding the air replacements, follow what’s on the play aid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey Stepanov
Russia
Arkhangelskaya oblast
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you, Andrew!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brazier
United Kingdom
Banchory
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, hope you enjoy the campaign! There are a lot more things to consider than in the scenarios as you need to plan ahead for the next operation and make sure your forces are in good enough shape so your opponent doesn't get an easy ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Janiec
United States
(Teller County)
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Quote:
I thought that because of reinforcements this rule leads to a slow increase in the number of submarines. I do not know about British submarines, but the number of Soviet submarines in 1942 was approximately the same.

That's right. The British and the Soviets had plenty of submarines available to replace any losses, so there's no mechanism that will reduce the number of subs from one fortnight to the next due to attrition.

Royal Navy sub commitment did grow through the course of the campaign, and this is reflected in the Allied Campaign Order of Battle, with British subs added in April, May, and June.

Soviet sub numbers do not grow during the year. They actually go down at the end of the first fortnight, and come back up in June.

If you look at the numbers of subs available in the various scenarios, you'll see these changes reflected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Janiec
United States
(Teller County)
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Quote:
Quote:

If you want to start the campaign at a later date, use the Scenario II/PQ-12 setup as normal then work through the Axis and Allied Campaign Order of Battle until you reach the point you want to start the campaign at. Having said that, I'd recommend you start from March I, the campaign is a different experience to the scenarios and it's where PQ-17 really shines. Starting it later means you will miss out on some of that.

Also, there are no Campaign VP starting points for dates after March 1st, so you'd have to calculate these to get accurate victory conditions for a later start.

If you want a shorter campaign, you're better off ending early rather than starting later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey Stepanov
Russia
Arkhangelskaya oblast
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you, Chris!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey Stepanov
Russia
Arkhangelskaya oblast
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi!
I have another question.
If an Axis player gains the Initiative, then he must expend at least 1 CP during his first Naval Movement Segment. Does this mean that in this case Axis Fuel Shortages [11.4] are not affected?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Janiec
United States
(Teller County)
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Quote:
If an Axis player gains the Initiative, then he must expend at least 1 CP during his first Naval Movement Segment. Does this mean that in this case Axis Fuel Shortages [11.4] are not affected?

11.4 says, "During Operation Scenarios..." so it doesn't apply to the Campaign Scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey Stepanov
Russia
Arkhangelskaya oblast
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you, Chris!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey Stepanov
Russia
Arkhangelskaya oblast
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi!
In Allied Campaign OOB in March I there is the IRONCLAD for transfer. In campaign scenario there is 1xDD (L-M)for the IRONCLAD. ButiIn the
Allied additions section the entire Scapa Flow line (with 1xL-M class) is deleted. Does this mean that the IRONCLAD should also be removed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Janiec
United States
(Teller County)
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Quote:
In campaign scenario there is 1xDD (L-M)for the IRONCLAD. But in the
Allied additions section the entire Scapa Flow line (with 1xL-M class) is deleted. Does this mean that the IRONCLAD should also be removed?

No. The 1x L-M class DD that starts in Scapa Flow in the Scenario II forces is the one that transfers for IRONCLAD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.