Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

since the 2nd edition is now available again, I wanted to ask: there is a ton of mini-expansions for this game, but from the descriptions of the game itself I don't really understand how they fit in. If I buy an Alien Queen, how does it enter the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StefanSasse wrote:
Hi guys,

since the 2nd edition is now available again, I wanted to ask: there is a ton of mini-expansions for this game, but from the descriptions of the game itself I don't really understand how they fit in. If I buy an Alien Queen, how does it enter the game?

it is less an expansion for the board game than an expansion for the miniature combat game, and all the expansions came out before second edition and may not have updated info in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So they're not compatible? And what's the difference between the miniatures game and the board game? Are they in the same box? I'm even more confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, and I own the 2nd Edition, the first edition miniatures are not officially compatible. They’re actually a slightly different scale, if I’m not mistaken. Right now there are no official expansions for the second edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the miniature is a skirmish style game using the warzone rules for the most part, kind alike 40k

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Noyes
United Kingdom
West Sussex
flag msg tools
Here's the score:
1st edition AvP expansions are for the board game and the war game. They come with blips for the board game and cards too. You use them when making your own missions or altering the set in the rules. All the models have points values to help you balance out missions or battles if you play the war game.
2nd edition has only three (3) expansions of its own up till now. You can still use the 1st edition models and expansions, although they are larger than the 2nd edition models. It does look like Prodos are now only going to release 2nd edition scale models from now on, so grab what you can if you prefer the 1st edition ones.
The 1st edition models are predominantly war games miniatures, which need assembly and basing, they are also easier to convert or kit bash.
The 2nd edition models are "unicast", meaning that they come as a complete single piece board game piece and are much harder to convert.
Personally I prefer the war games miniatures and the 1st edition board sections (they are thicker and less prone to warping), so I am buying what I want and then will no longer collect AvP when it has become pure unicast.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Much more, yes! What are the expansions for the 2nd edition? I'm not interested in playing this as a wargame. I want a boardgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Noyes
United Kingdom
West Sussex
flag msg tools
So far Prodos have released the Queen, Alien warriors and the Predalien in Unicast. The warriors look ok, but to me the Queen and Predalien look awful. As board game pieces they are passable IMO, although the Predalien looks like its doing a very strange dance. Yet again, you will have to use the points system to try and balance your missions unless you want potentially very one sided games.
Like you I am only interested in AvP as a boardgame, and it is pretty good IMHO. But as a former war gamer I am happier with the 1st edition models.
Don't take too much notice of the "community" of AvP as it is pretty toxic due to Prodos' reputation (quite justly). Just enjoy the game, it is actually good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any info on when the other expansions will be made unicast?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Noyes
United Kingdom
West Sussex
flag msg tools
Prodos don't even know what is due for release, or when anything will be released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lol ok. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Loudon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
What's the deal with the toxic community and prodos rep?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snickdesnick wrote:
What's the deal with the toxic community and prodos rep?
it goes back to their shameful handling of their kickstarter a few years back.held in some quarters as the worst kickstarter ever.
im not sure but,some backers STILL haven't got all their stuff yet!.
they stopped replying to messages etc.[this has become norm with some companies now by the way].it was produced and sent out in small batches.no big production run.and the worst thing was.Prodos started asking the backers to buy something from their store and they would send their order..although,they had already paid for postage!!.Prodos blamed fox fox blamed prodos.
on the upside what was released was top quality.the figures the tiles packing etc.
I JUST missed out on the KS [luckily].but pre-ordered.and received the game 2 days after release date.and that's shipped from Poland!.so,in my case ive no complaints!!.
as for the store at prodos..ive had no problems from them and get stuff pretty quick.and the models are pure quality..some of the very best!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is the way to distinguish in Prodos shop which expansions are for first edition and which ones for the second?
I have first edition got on kickstarter(!!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd editions are unicast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.