Subject: Should I bother with these? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell Blitz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Azul recently and love it.
Are these tiles worth the price given that I can only get them directly from plan b(fyi, the shipping to the uk doubles the cost)

Do they add enough to the game to justify it? My feeling is that they would actually water it down slightly, however, not having played with them, I am not in a position to comment!

But they are very pretty, and I am a completest!

Your thoughts are welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
They are pretty, haven't used them yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got them free with my Plan B preorder. They are certainly pretty. I have not played with them yet and really have not felt compelled to (even after reading and understanding their rules). I do, however, make good use out of 1 of those tiles as a replacement first player marker!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Saltdean
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That’s how I’ve been using one of mine. But I do now have a 3D printed marker thanks to a mate using the files someone posted on here

To the OP, I am also a completist and yet to play with them. Having enough fun without them so far.

I thought postage was okay, wasn’t double when I bought them. It is under the £15 line with postage so Customs can’t charge you.

M B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Azul twice, once with and once without the joker tiles. So there may be others with more experience that disagree with my assessment.

I think the joker tiles made the game a little easier for obvious reasons (flexibility for completing rows when needed).

The ability to take joker tiles by themselves or with another color is interesting and adds a little bit to the decision space. In base Azul, towards the end of a round, you can count out the remaining moves and you can often use that information to base your decision (so you don't get stuck with a bunch of negative tiles, for example). When there are joker tiles still available towards the end of a round, you cannot count the remaining turns perfectly because an opponent can take the jokers by themselves OR with another color (so, it may be three or four turns before the round ends, for example) Whether this is an improvement or detriment is a matter of taste, I suppose.

Not being able to score the 10 point bonus when using jokers didn't seem significant since the 10 point bonus is the most difficult to achieve. If you are going for the 10 point bonus I would imagine you're only concentrating on one or two colors, so the other colors are fair game to use the joker tiles without negative impact.

I think the joker tiles add some variability, but it's not a "must have" expansion. The slight increase in the decision space is nice, but the flexibility the joker tiles offer decreases the tension during the early and middle of the round, while potentially making the end of a round less calculable.

I just bought Azul (it hasn't been shipped yet). I'm currently trying to decide if I want to order the joker tiles or not. If I do order them, I wouldn't play with them all the time, but I could see adding them occasionally to change things up and add some variability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janina Oakley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I am rather new to searching the forums. Could you show me where the 3D print file could be found?
Thank you. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Goldfish Goggles wrote:
Hello, I am rather new to searching the forums. Could you show me where the 3D print file could be found?

We aren't providing a 3D print of the Joker tiles as it a product we intend to market and sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Zilla
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EchoOperative wrote:
Goldfish Goggles wrote:

We aren't providing a 3D print of the Joker tiles as it a product we intend to market and sale.

LOL, you were so much nicer than you could have been with that response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.