Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey BGG,

I picked up the necromancer and made a settlement event to bring it to life. I am looking for your thoughts and feedback. This is mostly a beneficial event. There could be some difficulties if you have a low population but that could be said for any settlement event.

No flavor text yet.

The basic idea is that the settlement encounters a necromancer who offers to revive a previously killed survivor by performing The Ritual. First, you must roll on a table depending on the number of returning survivors

No returning survivors: perform The Ritual for free

At least 1 returning survivor
1: kill a survivor. Perform The Ritual for free on that survivor.
2-4: choose 1 survivor gain 1 random fighting art
5-9: choose 1 survivor to gain 1 hunt xp and 1 weapon prof level
10: choose 1 survivor to draw 3 random secret fighting arts and keep 1

Lingering Effects
*The Ritual: spend 1 endeavor to revive a previously killed survivor. Make a new survivor sheet for that survivor. Do not increase population. They cannot participate in intimacy. Cannot consume. Cannot gain courage or understanding. Same rules for death, except do not update death count when they are killed again. No more than 1 revived survivor may depart at a time.
Permanent -1 movement
Permanent +1 Accuracy, strength & Luck

The Ritual may only be performed twice per lantern year. If you refuse his generous offer and perform no rituals this lantern year, choose one survivor to gain a random disorder, and they cannot depart the next hunt phase.

———————————————end

I originally had a table for no returning survivors but decided to simplify it a bit. Ultimately I want someone to come back from the dead and for that person to be buffed up a bit. Maybe they learned something during the ritual. They are slower due to being dead and all and can fight, but that’s about it. They won’t be procreating and won’t be passing on any knowledge unless they achieve weapon mastery. They are kinda zombie like so they can’t gain understanding or courage, but I wanted to leave the ability for fighting arts and disorders.

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,

Kyle A.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, fun idea, but way too good.

The table is almost always beneficial; the lingering effects benefits are huge, virtually no expense, and reliable. It's just really good.

For instance, it could be "kill 2 people, maybe you get nothing, maybe you get your survivor back" or "free; good chances of a survivor dying; good chances of a survivor dying and someone coming back; small chances of buffed guy coming back; small chance of plague" and those would still be probably OP and definitely no-brainers much of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lang
msg tools
Verbing nouns since 2011
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alexankh wrote:
Cannot participate in intimacy. Cannot consume. Cannot gain courage or understanding.
Permanent -1 movement
Permanent +1 Accuracy, strength & Luck

The Ritual may only be performed twice per lantern year.

This reads - Revive your 2 best dead survivors, and make them even better. You could use this to easily cheese your way to mastery. If you draw this 2 times during your timeline, this SE basically reads, 'add a mastery to your settlement'. Way too OP in my opinion.

Love the idea, but if this was me personally, I would have it read the same but add 'no weapon proficiency can be gained or used. You crumble to dust at the beginning of the next settlement phase. Shred all ritualized survivor's sheets at the start of the next lantern year.'

So it will give you 2 strong bodies to throw at the next quarry or nemesis at the expense of not progressing your current survivors. Still a very good settlement event as it only provides positives and options.

Not trying to tell you how to house-rule or customize. I really like your idea and think it is very creative. Just think it could be more balanced. 5GG4u

Edit: Would also remove the SFA and weapon proficiency from the initial roll. (S)He's a necromancer! There has to be something more dark (s)he can offer you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, one-shot survivors could be an interesting choice; that definitely has potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Sigler
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I love necromancy in my RPGs.

Necromancers tend not to be generous individuals, traditionally. They tend to be creepy, enigmatic, and a bit weird. They also trend toward macabre needs, interests, and tend to be fatalistic.

I would run it this way:

--------------------------------------

The returning hunters are followed by a mysterious entity. It stalks them with an unearthly glare in it's eye. Upon reaching the light of the Settlement. He offers a macabre deal.

Each Returning survivor may participate in a dread-ritual. If a survivor participates in the ritual. Roll on the chart below for each participant:
1: The ritual's odd dance snaps the survivors neck. They die.
2-4: The survivor cannot keep up with unnatural grace of the Necromancer. They suffer the a random Leg Severe Injury.
5-9: The darkness infests the flesh of the necromancer and the participant. The participant gains the a random disorder, and +1 weapon proficiency.
10: The ritual opens a path to the realm of the dead. All those whom fell before you, and their knowledge passes through you. Draw three random fighting arts. Keep one. Then you gain access to The RITUAL.

*The Ritual: Nominate 1 dead survivor. It is reborn if you can pay the cost. The survivor is stitched together with the parts of monsters. The Survivor has 10 insanity, and any fighting arts it had while it was alive. It has –1 movement. This is a new lifetime for the survivor.
Cost: 1 Endeavor, 5 Organs, 1 Skull, 5 bones, 5 ???, 1 Iron, 2 Scrap, 5 Hides —OR— 5 survivors.

If no returning survivor takes the Necromancer up on his offer; the Necromancer demands an offering. Roll 1d10. the Necromancer demands that many corpses; If the settlement doesn't have enough dead survivors to cover the cost the necromancer kills one survivor for each difference then leaves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the feedback. I wanted it to be powerful and maybe i took it too far.

Change this to be performed max once.
Kill a returning survivor to revive someone else. Non negotiable.
Total parry kill- can do this for free
Other returning survivors lose all survival
Revived survivors can only dodge. No other survival actions.

I will post an update incorporating the ideas mentioned here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
This is rather more cheerful than KD:M's canonical Necromancer.

I take it the OP hasn't played
Spoiler (click to reveal)
the Lion God's storyline.

Hell, its more cheerful than the Necromancer figures' backstory with it's implied minimum cost of one death per life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dahak wrote:
This is rather more cheerful than KD:M's canonical Necromancer.

I take it the OP hasn't played
Spoiler (click to reveal)
the Lion God's storyline.

Hell, its more cheerful than the Necromancer figures' backstory with it's implied minimum cost of one death per life.

You are correct. No expansions yet, although I bought all wave 2 stuff in the pm so that will change soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Necromancer
-Settlement Event-

There is a necromancer at the settlement who offers to revive a previously killed survivor.

If there are no returning survivors this Lantern Year, perform the Ritual. Otherwise roll 1d10 and consult the table below.

1: Kill 1 returning survivor of your choice and one other survivor of your choice. Perform the Ritual on one of those survivors.

2-4: Kill 1 returning survivor of your choice and perform the Ritual on that survivor. Choose one other survivor to witness this and gain 1 random disorder.

5-9: Kill 1 returning survivor and perform the Ritual on that survivor. Choose one other survivor to witness this and gain +1 Understanding (Max once per lifetime)

10: Kill a survivor of your choice and perform the Ritual on that survivor.

The Ritual: Revive the previously killed survivor. Start a new character sheet for them and add "Necro" to the front of their name. Do not increase population. Necro survivors may not participate in Intimacy or Consume. Necro survivors can be killed and follow the death rules for survivors, but don't increase death count if/when they are killed the 2nd time. When a Necro survivor reaches the first Age milestone they crumble away in the dust and are lost forever. No more than one Necro Survivor may depart each Lantern Year.

Necro survivors gain permanent -1 Movement, +1 Accuracy, +1 Strength, +1 Luck.

-------------------------------------

I cut back a lot and simplified it down and I think that helps the balance. Unless you roll a 10 you are killing a returning survivor and that's pretty painful. Then I limited the age as suggested above.

Are there too many rules in the Ritual?

Yes it is still pretty good, but pretty painful at the same time.

Let me know what you think. I am using it in my campaign in the settlement phase following L1 Butcher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's pretty good, now.

There's a minor exploit where you can keep them alive longer with the Slenderman, but it's probably fine since that takes minor, though reliable, hoop jumping.

You probably don't need the extra "≤1 dead guy" rule, and I think the better way to test it would be to include the first story card as a proxy for shuffling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I think I’ll take out that departing rule.

I added it into my mini settlement event deck which is much easier to shuffle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.