11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Coup or Love Letter? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vicki Hobbs
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I think I've made a mistake with a present I bought for my sister. She enjoys board games, but goes for the mainstream ones here in the UK - stuff like Quirkle, Blokus, Bananagrams, Monopoly, Labyrinth, and various party type games like 5 Second Rule. No adventure/themed ones. In a last minute rush I ordered Love Letter and Coup on amazon- neither of which I've played, but I liked the sound of them. They've arrived, and I now don't know whether to rush out and get her a completely different non-game present, or take a risk with one of these? For someone who hasn't played that sort of game before, which is more accessible and more likely to win her over? (I'm not even sure yet if it's my type of game either- I was brought up on the same games and only just starting to branch out). And have I only bought a miniature version of Love Letter? It says there are only 16 cards.
Thanks for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Both games should be fine, but I think Love Letter is a bit more accessible. It doesn't require bluffing like Coup, and not everyone is good at that.

Yes, there are only 16 cards in Love Letter and the rules are simple. Everyone starts with a card in hand, they draw one on their turn and choose one to play. So, you only have at the most 2 choices on every turn and the cards will instruct you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Grayslake
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Love letter is more accessible (and universally enjoyed in my experience)...and those 16 cards are the full game!

That being said, I gave some as gifts and not sure they get played. Might be best for you to read the rules, instigate a session and get her hooked, then have another copy to give.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Letter only has 16 cards. Love Letter will be more accessible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicki Hobbs
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you everyone. I'll give her Love Letter, along with some generic candle/bath stuff type gifts instead of the two games together. Hopefully we'll all enjoy playing it over Christmas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harris Tsagas
Greece
Preveza
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Furthermore, Love Letter might not have
secs rules but it can finish in 5 secs. Or less with Just a question and the appropriate cards combinations. Definetely Coup is a little bit more complicated as bluffing is included which means it is not for everyone. So, if you have good relationship give her Love Letter, otherwise Coup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Loop
United States
Issaquah
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
both are good, but my vote is with Coup as the better more accessible game. Both are social engineering games that play with you head.

but try Coup out before hand - App for most platform is free and good. online version too - become an expert before she opens the package.

also coup is only 15 cards (+6 reference cards) to Love letters 16

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coup is ultimately the better game, but if she doesn't like bluffing it's not going to be well received.

Or just give her both.

Captain Hindsight though just told me that Masquerade may have been a better choice than Coup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are very light games, but given what they are, Love Letter is much more enjoyable (we have several different versions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabi Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are fine for your demands, imho. For Coup you need to really know the roles, otherwise you would betray yourself. My teen age kids loved Love Letter but hated Coup for the memory element. I loved Coup and strongly disliked Love Letter because of its simplicity.
Sold both in the end...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Sonny
Germany
KASSEL
flag msg tools
KS und Umgebung für Spielabend?
badge
I am old and I still play Pokemon.
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Letter is definitely to be given first and then you can start with Coup. The simple rule in LL will definitely take her interest. When she gets bored with it then you can switch with Coup. If you have more players available, you can start with The Resistance. I like that one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.