Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Simples rules for younger kids? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Moloney
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
Was thinking of playing this with my 4 year old, who enjoys games like Dinosaur Escape and loves rolling dice. I'm wondering if anyone has every done a simplified version of the Castle Ravenloft rules/adventure that might suit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the challenges would be the starting cards for the powers. Maybe don't play with them or leave them out or swap with treasure cards for some of the more basic abilities like reroll a die?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Carraro
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oceanclub wrote:
Was thinking of playing this with my 4 year old, who enjoys games like Dinosaur Escape and loves rolling dice. I'm wondering if anyone has every done a simplified version of the Castle Ravenloft rules/adventure that might suit?

With my 3 year old I "play" ashardalon's box. Totally free movement and ludically joining some conversations and run aways from the monsters. If a villain is on the board? Mwahahahaha voices and a little of free style RPGish kind of stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Coffey
United States
Cranston
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest limiting or eliminating the encounter cards, which I find can ruin a game even for adults. Maybe just draw them when you get a black triangle and not when you fail to explore. I think it thematically makes more sense as well, rather than being punished for trying to deal with what's already on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Corley

Utah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could just play the game as normal, but let your child do all the die rolling and hero moving. I did that with one of mine and she seemed to feel like she was actually playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yes I have seen grown men cry at the sight of the encounter WoA walls of magma when continuously laying down narrow passages that do auto damage if you're next to a wall lol

I don't have kids so this post is fun for me to brainstorm once from a different perspective.

I'm working on a youtube video that combines elements of CR, WoA and LoD and is pre-planned in detail to show different scenarios and cards thematically. a ridiculous amount of time including closeups but interesting effort really.

preplanning thematic tile and card draw approach is in my mind

I've seen someone play their own version of D&D RPG in which they ask the girl what they want to do next with their hero. and they have a goal in mind like find the wizards magic scroll that saves the unicorn ;

make up your own scenario or repurpose Dinosaur Escape he/she's familiar with and has fun with for one game. it can be semi-preplanned and then a little ad libbed as you go along. you don't have to play every game that way just the first one.

HEROS

I would have the kid play the wizard because it's relatively simple and has fun magical spells the names sound exciting like fireball and magic missile with descriptive flavor text

and you could play the fighter hero who's also a relatively straightforward prototypical D&D hero and dad hero-like ;

very important to read the flavor text on all cards out loud. no one ever does that. admittedly the reversed out light italic font is difficult to read.

(stay away from the ridiculously boring non d20 rolling ranger power 'careful attack' that hits an adjacent monster for 1hp killing it its sort of the RPG magic missile lol)

SIMPLE GAME

sounds like a non-simple game but in the long run being pre-planned controlled it is

take 5-10 minutes to pre-plan/stack the deck before the first game ...

TILES
stack some visually fun ones like the arcane circle towards the front and then stahds crypt last. dark fountain and that's where you find holy water to kill undead

MONSTERS

start with rat swarm wolf skeleton zombie and work your way up to more complex monsters like ghouls blazing skeletons and a gargoyle. have a weaker version of the vampire. depending on how many tiles you want to go thru. don't use more than one of each even with the exception of adding a wandering monster zombie using the summoning circle encounter card

TREASURE

remember each hero starts with one treasure item so don't pull one at random give the fighter a sword and the wizard the glyph of warding you can walk them thru or simpler. in game straight forward ones like lucky charm reroll, holy water 1hp undead, potion of healing, icon of ravenloft choice of who gets hp back and prior to the vampire the thematic wooden stake tome of strahd. glyph of warding uses a marker and is simple and fun. that would weaken the 2hp gargoyle.

ENCOUNTERS

use encounter attacks such as animated armor or gray ooze which essentially are one shot monster attacks without minis that you think of what they looks like in your mind. use bat swarm roll disadvantage would satisfy the excitement of rolling dice just leave it in play for both hero turns 'then they fly away' and remove it. other encounters that roll dice like treasure chest mists of terror roll. summoning circle when you find the arcane circle and essentially it's a wandering monster that appears out of nowhere. not all encounters are that bad especially when stacked/controlled in a deck when you draw them. when they're completely random is when they're inconveniently brutal. and surprises are fun if they allow rolling dice or a moves a monster.

TOKENS

the rules for coffins in hunt for strahd are at the end of a hero phase flip it over if you're next to it. but you could treat it as object and open them in the middle of a turn.

throwing some object tokens in is relatively simple. such as you have to collect the holy water and wooden stake tokens so put them on the tile when the card is drawn. it's visual and tactile. it looks like there's tokens in dinosaur island he's used to

THAT SHOULD DWORK

a few minutes of pre planning one game can be less confusing and quicker 'simpler' game in the long run even if the card draws don't surprise you it will the kids. one game like that will be fun for you seeing him discover instead of completely random draws which could frustrate

NEXT GAME

after that take the same cards but shuffle them at random. 'simplifying' it imho

D&D BOARD GAMES & RPG

the fact that it's based on the combat centric yet still RPG 4th edition D&D has the fun gaming and interaction possibilities that can either be preplanned as if you're the DM dungeon master or the random draw which is how the DM's guide book suggest handling random dungeons is part of how they got the idea imho

now if I had a 4yr old relative I'd try that out and I bet it would fun. I think 4 yrs olds are smarter than they look. I saw a 1yr old playing games on a phone lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Day
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
game addict wrote:
I would suggest limiting or eliminating the encounter cards, which I find can ruin a game even for adults. Maybe just draw them when you get a black triangle and not when you fail to explore. I think it thematically makes more sense as well, rather than being punished for trying to deal with what's already on the board.

This game has the hardest encounter cards and the most limited treasure cards of all the games in the set.

make it easier suggestions:

1) only draw monster cards on black triangle pieces.
2) Let heroes Attack First instead of monsters.
3) Start at Level II side of the character sheet.
4) Use XP for "re-rolls" or "inspiration" Rolls or to "re-charge" powers.
5) Start each hero with two treasures.
6) Don't use the Encounter cards or hand pick the encounter cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.