Hide
4 Posts

Dice Throne: Season One» Forums » Rules

Subject: Team Play Rules Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Decker
msg tools
I played team, 2 vs 2 vs 2 for the first time last night, and we ended up having a couple questions. First, when one team is removed from the battlefield, does that impact the game in any way other than they are removed. My questions specifically related to this are...

Does poison remain on someone when shadow thief has been eliminated? We assume yes since it is persistent. Also, does the roll for targeting remain as is from 2 vs 2 vs 2 rules or does it switch to 2 vs 2 rules? We assumed it does not change meaning you go from left to right still and opponent on the left first is 1 and 3, and the second opponent is 2 and 4.

Our other question comes from monk's chi status effect in team mode. Can chi be used to prevent damage to anyone? Let me explain. Monk's teammate Moon Elf attacked Pyro and reduced Pyro to 0 health points, however, Pyro's defense sent 2 damage back. Monk and Moon El only had 1 health point, so they also went to 0 health points. However, Monk had 2 chi remaining. Can that chi be used to prevent damage even though Monk was not directly involved in the attack? This was the second time within the game we argued this. Earlier moon elf was attacked for a loss of 5 and Monk had 5 chi available to block the damage.

The status affect for chi states that chi can be used at any time to block incoming damage , which indicates to me it can be even if the damage is not from a direct attack on Monk but on a teammate. Especially, since they share health points. Further, the chi ability states it has to be your, meaning monk's turn to add damage to an attack. The differentiation appears to make the case even stronger in support of defensive chi used whenever, on whomever Monk wishes. Am I wrong?

Thanks for your answers, especially on this lengthy post. In spite of my questions, I am loving the game, at least when someone playing does not have analysis paralysis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny Trembley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
1- 2v2v2 is intense. I found it to be more "political" when I played it. Teams trying to convince people to attack the other team.

2- Yes Poison remains whether the thief is alive or not. Call it a parting gift.

3- targeting does switch to match the form factor of the game. from 2v2v2 to 2v2.

4- I can see the confusion on Chi. Even though the Monk is on a team and they share life unless he is the one being targeted by an opponent he cannot spend chi to stop dmg. You can fix the targeting die to the Monk is hit and then he can use Chi. That's a sound strategy. Incoming is the key actually. Again, while they share health the damage is not in coming to him.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Decker
msg tools
Thanks Manny. I appreciate the help, as I hate to sit around arguing, and will typically give in to keep playimg a game.

By the way, my 5 year old is obsessed with the game even though he cannot play with cards by himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny Trembley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
@Matthew. Both my boys enjoy it. They're 5 and 7.

I play cards up and present the options of what he can do and he makes all his own choices. My favorite is that he picks the ability he wants to get before the first roll. It's like Babe Ruth calling the homerun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.