Subject: aeon's end for the completionist rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all, just picked up my core set second edition of aeon's end. So far I am loving it and intend on getting all the expansion content + war eternal.

Question for those with all this content, how well does everything "jive together" once incorporated as one big game? I understand war eternal is good, but much harder and I figure that is from playing it as a stand alone game.

Does incorporating war eternal into the core set make for a richer experience all around just like the mini expansions?

Just curious what the consensus is of everything released thus far combined as I find most opinions are for how the newer content stacks up on their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
All the content is basically more of the same. Which is OK, but nothing changes the core experience. The new nemesises are great and do other unique strategies against each. Depending on your budget and how much you'll playing, they are totally a good buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Edwards
United States
Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
If you shuffle all of the Basic Nemesis cards from both sets together, you'll have the potential to hit weird, difficult situations (for example, a game with tons of minions).

Everything else in the sets is perfectly compatible, with no downsides to mixing them and lots of upsides (because a fixed-market deck builder is all about the combinations).

If you don't mix the Basic Nemesis cards together, you can still get more variety out of them by using them in games against opposite-set Nemeses (for example, WE Basic Nemesis cards with Rageborne). That works just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends how you do it.

The most important is to keep the basic Nemesis cards sets apart unless you're ready to experience really, really difficult games.

Mixing all the player cards together is not a problem at all. The only issue is if you create a big randomizer deck using all them, you increase the possibility of having unbalanced markets (all spells, no card costing less than 5, no healing or no destruction, etc.)

Mages, Nemeses and supply cards can all be mixed together without trouble. You'll experience fabulous new combinations that way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurizio Briosi
Italy
Rovereto
Rovereto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you try mixing them together, is there a easy way of distinguish them (like a serial number on the card)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorlin wrote:
If you try mixing them together, is there a easy way of distinguish them (like a serial number on the card)?

The standalones have the same serial numbers unfortunately.
The small expansions and promos have their own number in the serial number so these are easy to tell apart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:

The only issue is if you create a big randomizer deck using all them, you increase the possibility of having unbalanced markets (all spells, no card costing less than 5, no healing or no destruction, etc.)

Not if you're using the market setup cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ipreuss wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

The only issue is if you create a big randomizer deck using all them, you increase the possibility of having unbalanced markets (all spells, no card costing less than 5, no healing or no destruction, etc.)

You're not using a randomizer deck if you use these (but these are promos by the say, KS exclusives.)
I'm specifically talking about using a randomizer deck in which you mix ALL the randomizer cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ipreuss wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

Would the randomized on the website have the same end goal effect? Balanced market cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boze wrote:
ipreuss wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

Would the randomized on the website have the same end goal effect? Balanced market cards?

Absolutely. Plus it randomizes the mages and the nemeses for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean itsasecret
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hi I mix everything together in every game now for my last fifteen plays ranging from harder bosses to five learning games to teach new people.

For nemesis deck the only thing I'd keep in mind is be mindful of how many of each card type you put.

In example,I would be mindful of how many basic type minions you put in each tier. Usually nemesis specific cards have at least one minion so I usually I put one basic minion and two random other cards.

Same goes for other tiers. Having tier 2 be nothing but 5 minions + nemesis specific cards is going to be slaughter. I usually don't allow more than two basic minion cards here.

Generally in each tier I do this:

1. Have at least 1 basic minion

2. One card that can be prevented (generally by spending aether or destroying cards etc)

3. One power card

4. No more than two basic minions unless you really willing 2 have an insane battle.

This has worked well for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
irveline wrote:
Hi I mix everything together in every game now for my last fifteen plays ranging from harder bosses to five learning games to teach new people.

For nemesis deck the only thing I'd keep in mind is be mindful of how many of each card type you put.

In example,I would be mindful of how many basic type minions you put in each tier. Usually nemesis specific cards have at least one minion so I usually I put one basic minion and two random other cards.

Same goes for other tiers. Having tier 2 be nothing but 5 minions + nemesis specific cards is going to be slaughter. I usually don't allow more than two basic minion cards here.

Generally in each tier I do this:

1. Have at least 1 basic minion

2. One card that can be prevented (generally by spending aether or destroying cards etc)

3. One power card

4. No more than two basic minions unless you really willing 2 have an insane battle.

This has worked well for me.

How much time does it take to set up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean itsasecret
United States
California
flag msg tools
I haven't neccesarily timed it, but it usually doesn't take that longer than 15 minutes? I'm insane and just have all the basic nemesis cards from all expansions combined in their ranked divider. So I just pull out 3,5,7 and then check to make sure I don't have anything an insane amount of minions.

Usually I play 1-3 player and I just have the other people do the HP tokens, starting crystals/sparks and breaches and then I just focus on grabbing the nemesis cards and market cards.

I don't mind taking my time preparing cause I'm obsessive and I love small talk, so never really paid attention to it. Isn't nearly as bad as zombicide though. I suppose the most time consuming thing is just doing the market cards. I have market cards separated by Aeon's End content then War Eternal & onwards content and I've played so many times I generally know which cards come from where when I look at my randomizer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
More importantly, how do you set it up that way without knowing what cards are in the deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.