United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working in Application A on whatever. Meanwhile Application B decides it has some vital bit of info to display or a question to ask and pops up in front of Application A. I continue to type away and either enter info into the wrong window or press enter and clear a dialog window without ever reading it.

I HATE this. If I'm actively typing into a Window no other app should be able to steal the focus. It's terrible and never fails to annoy the hell out of me.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go figure out what dialog box I hit enter on and what I might have agreed to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Could be worse... could be a Mac.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the flip-side, I've been installing some stuff on Windows lately, and I hate when it opens the "permission to install" dialog behind all my other windows, and just sits there doing nothing, until I realize it's waiting for me to do something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about shutting down with no notification whatsoever, discarding everything I haven't saved myself since 4 hours ago, because Mr Windows can't stand it I haven't updated yet to the latest data harvesting version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ゆき 岩倉
Japan
東京
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hojoh wrote:
What about shutting down with no notification whatsoever, discarding everything I haven't saved myself since 4 hours ago, because Mr Windows can't stand it I haven't updated yet to the latest data harvesting version?

Yes! “Windows has decided that what you’re doing isn’t very important and is shutting down”. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
This dries me nuts too. On my work mac, it tends to slide the screen around to another app (I'm looking at you, IntelliJ!), which is not quite as awful, but I've experienced the popup irritation on Linux and Windows a lot as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
What I love about Windows is when there is some sort of error or glitch, and suddenly there is a popup saying "Would you like Windows to diagnose and fix the problem?" and if you click "yes" somewhere between two and fifteen minutes is wasted, and then another popup says "Windows could not diagnose the problem."

Windows is 0 for 9000 in >20 years of use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mbmb
hojoh wrote:

This is crazymaking! I love my PC, but the "do this later" button on this shutdown and update window doesn't work properly and hasn't in a long time, across multiple computers ... Grr!

I have no idea what the OP is talking about though, I've never had anything pop up that interferes with what I'm doing. The default on my machines have always been set to the "don't bother me" setting, and even Outlook got tinkered with so it wouldn't send annoying alerts when stuff happened. (but these alerts also did not interrupt me, despite being annoying)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hojoh wrote:

If this is a work computer on a domain this is because of settings pushed down from your system administrators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other one I had recently was when Windows said it had a large update, so, at the end of the evening, I selected "update & shut down". When I booted up in the morning, it proceeded with the update, which took at least an hour. (It was my home computer - I had to leave for work, so I left it running, and it was done when I got home...)

When I say "update and shut down", I generally expect it to happen in that order...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:
The other one I had recently was when Windows said it had a large update, so, at the end of the evening, I selected "update & shut down". When I booted up in the morning, it proceeded with the update, which took at least an hour. (It was my home computer - I had to leave for work, so I left it running, and it was done when I got home...)

When I say "update and shut down", I generally expect it to happen in that order...

It updates, shutdown and the first time you boot it up it needs to apply those updates. It takes an additional 5 minutes. Feel free to switch to Mac or Linux if that is too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:
hojoh wrote:

If this is a work computer on a domain this is because of settings pushed down from your system administrators.

These are settings pushed down from Windows, on my home computer. Of course there'll be ways to get around all this, but the annoying thing, apart from losing a few hours work, is I need to jump through all kind of hoops which I'm not aware of existing in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hojoh wrote:
Perrin2017 wrote:
hojoh wrote:

These are settings pushed down from Windows, on my home computer. Of course there'll be ways to get around all this, but the annoying thing, apart from losing a few hours work, is I need to jump through all kind of hoops which I'm not aware of existing in the first place.

Ah ok. There is a setting to not download and apply updates automatically. I highly rexomend no one have windows apply updates automatically.

I asked about work because where i work they pish updates and give us no choice in when they are applied. You get a popp up your computer will restart in an hour and no choice to close the popup or delay them.

This irrattes me because i have been the SCCM administrator at another job and I know this could be altered to be more user friendly while ensuring updates are applied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I love about Windows is that it's great for conversation. Whole coffee breaks that just wouldn't have been the same with a "perfect" OS...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
I'm working in Application A on whatever. Meanwhile Application B decides it has some vital bit of info to display or a question to ask and pops up in front of Application A. I continue to type away and either enter info into the wrong window or press enter and clear a dialog window without ever reading it.

I HATE this. If I'm actively typing into a Window no other app should be able to steal the focus. It's terrible and never fails to annoy the hell out of me.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go figure out what dialog box I hit enter on and what I might have agreed to.

Still on Windows 7, eh?

The notification system on Windows 10 gives the OS a 'notification sidebar' that tends to take over all those 'update/accept' request dialogs. (Granted, it's not perfect, as some applications are dead set on trying to interrupt your workflow - but that's really on the app, and not the OS, as the current release of Windows provides a superior option as an alternative)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah my dad has complained about being completely kicked out of windows for an automatic update several times. Yet it's never happened to me. Generally it seems to stay updated all on it's own in the background, with a very occasional notification that a reboot is required, but it's never actually interrupted me. Wish I could figure out what the difference is.

He's on a laptop, and I'm on a Microsoft Surface pro, not that it should matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Waiting for the first birds of spring
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to clean the mould offa the upstairs windows, but that's the third floor and we don't have a ladder long enough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:
iklinck wrote:

It updates, shutdown and the first time you boot it up it needs to apply those updates. It takes an additional 5 minutes. Feel free to switch to Mac or Linux if that is too much.

5 minutes, eh? Not in my experience. Maybe sometimes it's that short, but I've had it take up to an hour to apply the updates if it's been awhile since I booted into Windows. But I'll concede in my case it's probably because based on the frequency (or infrequency) that I use Windows, it has more updates than normal that it has to apply, rather than just one here or there.

My machine is set up with a dual boot, for Windows and Linux. I mostly use Linux, as that's what we use at work and I find it easier for programming. However, there are a few things I need to keep Windows for (such as my tax software, and a few programs that just won't run well in Linux, even with Wine). However, the thing I find incredibly annoying with Windows is that every time I boot into Windows, it decides to overwrite GRUB that I usually use for dual booting, and make it so it boots into Windows directly the next time I boot up. This means after using Windows, I have to put in a USB drive to specifically fix the boot record to go back to GRUB. At one point, I was able to put something in place that allowed GRUB to stick around even after using Windows, but after one of the recent updates, that solution doesn't work anymore. Windows thinks that it should control how I use my own computer, and that I should only use Windows. Fortunately, it hasn't (yet) tried to mess with my Linux partitions directly, though I won't be surprised if someday that happens.

I think I personally would have a better view of Windows and Microsoft if they didn't do stupid little shenanigans like that. Yes, I understand that most people won't be dual booting, but for those that do, don't assume that it's an "error". Make it easy for those who want to use Linux primarily do so. The only reason I haven't completely uninstalled Windows is that I do need it for an occasional program as mentioned above.

Windows is definitely not designed to easily "play nice with others", that's for sure. (At least not with Windows 10; I don't think I had this issue with Windows 7 or 8; I dual-booted quite easily with them).

Regarding the notifications thing from the OP, though, I do notice that my Linux OS does that, too, which is kind of annoying. I'm sure there's a setting to disable it, though, but it hasn't been quite annoying enough (yet) for me to find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know exactly what you mean. At my job, I sometimes have to ask someone to repeat because of that, which is annoying, and they think I am not paying attention.

Another thing is when I am trying to get a lot of windows positioned optimally for how many different programs I need to do my job, and 1 takes a long time to start to open & I lose my hold on the 1 I was moving & it doesn't just stop where it was, but goes back to where it had been.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.