Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » General

Subject: 2 corps + 10 project cards. What if you could change the distribution? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pedro Sequeira
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were playing to win (so you dont want to try new corps or anything, just win)

Would you rather get 2 corps + 10 cards, like usual

Or 1 corp + 11 cards to pick from (still sum 12)

Or maybe 10 corps and 2 cards (guess not ahah)

I think the sweet spot would be about 4 corps and 8 cards, or maybe 5/7, what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
Songok wrote:
If you were playing to win (so you dont want to try new corps or anything, just win)

Would you rather get 2 corps + 10 cards, like usual

Or 1 corp + 11 cards to pick from

Or maybe 10 corps and 2 cards (guess not ahah)

I think the sweet spot would be about 4 corps and 8 cards, or maybe 5/7, what do you think?

2 Corps and 10 cards is fine; you have a lot of cards to pick a strategy from, and *usually* one of two corps that can work with what you pick.

If I was going to swap some card distribution around for optimal-ness, I'd probably go 3 corporations and 9 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never play with the normal rule of 2 corp 10 cards (2/10). I play with the house rule 3/10. And this makes the game way better for us.

It is pretty normal to sometimes get 2 corps that do the same thing (IC + MG or saturn + phob) So handing out 3 corps, intead of 2 is the way to go everytime i play TM. I play with a lot of players and they all love the variant. And some actually go further doing 4/10 (with the base game this only doable when playing 2/3p of course.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
I like the 3 and 9 idea too. You'd need some adjustment in a 5 player game (not enough corporations!) but that is surely manageable with a little creativity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G
United States
West Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your changing distribution idea but I don’t think 1 Corp = 1 project is the right exchange rate. I would place it more like 1 Corp = 3 projects. I agree with the above that 3 Corp 9 projects is better than 2 Corp 10 project or 1 Corp 11 project but I think 1 Corp 13 projects vs 2 Corp 10 projects vs 3 corps 7 projects starts to give some interesting choices especially if every player gets to make their own choice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talmanes wrote:
I like the 3 and 9 idea too. You'd need some adjustment in a 5 player game (not enough corporations!) but that is surely manageable with a little creativity.

... or expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan The Man
United States
Unspecified
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talmanes wrote:

Draft Corps after cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
DnaDan56 wrote:
Talmanes wrote:

Draft Corps after cards?

I dunno that drafting corps is particularly helpful, really; we have tried it a few times, and the end result was either:

A) No difference than if you just dealt out two random corps.

or

B) The person who got to draft 1st totally hosed someone else in line by random chance, by them both really wanting to be the same corp, but getting it first.

Which, in the end, isn't really different than just giving people 2 random corps. So might as well just do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brown
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DnaDan56 wrote:
Talmanes wrote:

Draft Corps after cards?

I think this would be best. You get to look at three Corps after you’ve seen your potential hand. You have to rule out one Corp before you get to see your third, true, but it’s better than having to just settle for the lesser of two evils like you do with the rules as written. Basically you make the same choice you do now and then you get one more chance.

I don’t think that there’s a 1-to-1 ratio for Corps vs projects. Any one project only has a small impact on your game, but a Corporation can influence your whole game. If we were playing, I’d choose 3 Corps, 9 projects every time because that tenth project is not even close to as important as your Corp. Any person who took 1 Corp and 11 projects would probably get destroyed. What are the chances a decent chunk of any given eleven cards synergize with any one Corp? Probably pretty low. What are the chances that a decent chunk of any given nine projects could synergize with one of three Corps? Probably pretty high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DnaDan56 wrote:
Talmanes wrote:

Draft Corps after cards?

If there is one thing I certainly would NOT change about the start game, is seeing/choosing corps and cards at the same time. People have presented all sorts of ideas about drafting and different ways to choose or distribute the cards or the corps, but as far as I'm concerned, no matter how you do it, you absolutely have to be able to pick them at the same time. How can you choose/draft cards without knowing what corps you get to choose from (and vice versa)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Sequeira
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also dont think drafting works very well, because you should choose both corp and cards together. But the other day someone insisted we draft the 10.. I had teractor and managed to pick lots of discounts + card draw, including the -2 overall discount card as my first play ^^ finished with ~30 points advantage

I also dont think 1 corp=1card in this case, i'm pretty sure 1 corp + 11 cards is worse than 2/10, but I'm also pretty sure 2/10 would be better than 11/1

What is not very clear to me, and that was the thing i wanted to explore, if 3/9 is better than lets say.. 5/7?

As for alternatives, I sugested one in the variants, with the players auctioning (amun-re style) the initial 2/10 packages (1 per player), with their initial $

more details here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1860529/1-auction-start-gam...

unfortunately i havent been able to test it yet =/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub
Czech Republic
Olomouc
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord_Aethan wrote:
Talmanes wrote:

... or expansions.

Yes, thats why we need the 3rd big expansion really soon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan The Man
United States
Unspecified
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CarcuS wrote:
DnaDan56 wrote:
Talmanes wrote:

Draft Corps after cards?

If there is one thing I certainly would NOT change about the start game, is seeing/choosing corps and cards at the same time. People have presented all sorts of ideas about drafting and different ways to choose or distribute the cards or the corps, but as far as I'm concerned, no matter how you do it, you absolutely have to be able to pick them at the same time. How can you choose/draft cards without knowing what corps you get to choose from (and vice versa)?

I think you misread.

You get dealt 10 cards and x# Corps. See cards, draft and pass Corps. Choose Corp. Buy cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DnaDan56 wrote:
CarcuS wrote:
DnaDan56 wrote:
Talmanes wrote:

Draft Corps after cards?

I think you misread.

You get dealt 10 cards and x# Corps. See cards, draft and pass Corps. Choose Corp. Buy cards.

Ok, not sure i misread... But you original post is not very descriptive. I interpreted it as "draft cards, then draft corps", because of the "after". Makes more sense after you clarified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think definitely an extra Corp or 2 is likely to be more beneficial than the last couple of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.