Subject: M&M with the kids rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Siders
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
my first review so please bear with me

I played Mechs and Minions with my 10 year old nephew (10YO) and my 8 year old niece (8YO)

first we did the tutorial so they could learn the mechanics. it went well enough, other than the 8YO complaining a bit at first because she hadn't destroyed the crystals and thinking she was losing (I had to explain this was co-operative, not competitive) but after a few more turns she got her chance to stomp on or shoot at a few minions and was quite happy

we then moved on to the first mission where you have to move the bomb out of the school. having played this mission once before, I recommended as a strategy that one person deal with the bomb while the other 2 go up each flank and destroy minions. the 10YO immediately said he would manage the bomb. so I set up on one flank and the 8YO on the opposite

it didn't take long because when the 10YO saw some of the cool cards he decided that shooting, skewering, and stomping would be more fun than dragging a bomb around (I knew this would happen and had planned accordingly)

at some point around mid-game the 8YO had struggled a bit with her programming and was stuck in a corner for a turn or two. I advised her that rotation cards were just as important as movement and shooting cards.

in the end with a few minor complications, we were able to bring the bomb with minimal damage to a safe destination.

-game components are top notch second to none
-rules & manual are very good. for the most part its clear on what needs to be done and how to do it
-game play is fairly quick, which is important when playing with the kids because games with significant down time between turns leads to boredom and then one wanders off in search of something else to do.
-the 2 kids seemed to enjoy it very much. they may not fully appreciate the finer points of strategy but in general they understood what to do and after correcting a few mistakes (and a few minion induced glitches) their mechs for the most part functioned as they wished

one of my favorite games to play. its not too strategy-heavy that kids can't play and not too strategy-light that it would bore me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.