Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian P
United States
Mount Pleasant
SC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I noticed that if you spend all your gold and then are unable to play any Patrons, the game is essentially over for you.

Unless you happen to get a card that works with the ones you spent all your money on, you could in theory (and practice as it turns out) not get any gold for several turns effectively making winning or enjoyment of playing moot.

Is the only way to gain any gold through Patrons and card abilities? So if you play cards with no abilities and draw unlucky you are just stuck?

Thanks for any corrections to my thinking on this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henk Allaert
Belgium
Dadizele
flag msg tools
mbmb
Roadkill72 wrote:

I noticed that if you spend all your gold and then are unable to play any Patrons, the game is essentially over for you.

Unless you happen to get a card that works with the ones you spent all your money on, you could in theory (and practice as it turns out) not get any gold for several turns effectively making winning or enjoyment of playing moot.

Is the only way to gain any gold through Patrons and card abilities? So if you play cards with no abilities and draw unlucky you are just stuck?

Thanks for any corrections to my thinking on this!

We had the same issues in our first game. In the second game we kept some money after the first day phase to be sure not to come in the same situation again, so my tip would be not to spend all your money immediately.

Only played twice so far, if it really would become an issue, I would houserule that you get 1 coin if you have no patrons and 0 money at the end of the round.

But also interested at what other players thoughts are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Swagman
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also decided that I would almost always spend only two gold at most in the opening round. That was initially so successful that I thought I had broken the game in solitaire. It is a good tactic but not infallible. I play solitaire so if I have a game where I can't get much done it is soon over and I just reset. I also find it kind of fun to see if I can play a good card or even a combo despite having no gold. What I find frustrating is having one gold and only getting 2+ gold cost cards.

If playing with the Games of Chance expansion, I would recommend playing Mead first if you have it, then Ale, then Wine. Mead seems to be Wanted by the most Patrons, although I haven't actually done a count to check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.