Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Judge
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went in totally blind. I was a bit apprehensive. I used 2 "veterans" and 2 newbs.

TL/DR at the bottom.

It started out well enough I thought. 3 characters almost reach him, but my furthest character hits him with a claw head arrow,-1 evasion, but didn't wound. Reaction meant he Ghost Steps behind my furthest character, He attacks, but I get lucky and he doesn't harm anyone.

So, first round no damage I'm thinking I'll take that.

Next round, no one can reach him, but my archer whom he had ghost stepped behind. His AI card is the "Take your best shot" -10 Evasion, is persistent until a trap card comes. I'm thinking, ok... This seems too good to be true... I'm not sure I played "Best Shot" correctly, but I believe it says to draw another AI card, I do, and it's not too bad. He hits my archer twice, I dodge one and take 2 damage to a well armored chest.

2nd round not too bad either. Everyone is in position and primed. I'll take that.

Lucy, my frenzied, +3 natural str, +1 sp, + another 2 str +1 sp tokens, zanbato weilding badass is up. One of the 3 attacks is a lantern, everything hits. No traps come up, I choose my HL order. First HL says on Wound, cancel all reactions until the end of the attackers turn. Everything wounds with the zanbato and I think I'm putting 6 tokens of damage on the 12 I need for this guy with all reactions canceled. But I re-read the first HL card again, because it seems too good to be true. I have to spend 3 survival or the attack is canceled. I'm Frenzied. I can't spend survival while Frenzied. F*%^. I take the tokens off.

Next guy up. Trap, The Hand basic attacks everybody. 5 damage per location. Decapitated. Lucy- broken back. Percival - survives. Archer- Chest caved in or something - dead.

Ho-ly-f. The survivors of the trap didn't last much longer.

TL/DR - I died.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Sloth might be my spirit animal
badge
Ok, ok, NOW I get it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, The Hand is disproportionately difficult for the year you get it, unless, well, (spoilerish) you go for Applause.

Of course, this depends on your policies over the meaning of "going in blind", but I think it is tolerable to check what Applause does, since the game instructs you to pick it and put it on bottom of the deck.

At least, the way I see it, since showdown is strategy plus luck, if you purposefully ignore a big chunk of the strategy part, you are just pushing your luck - and that is not much different from playing a full game of Monopoly

The other way to win is to trigger Respect, but I managed that only by kicking it in the groin (the cheap way). Anyway, Applause win rewards are definitely better than Respect win rewards, so there is really no point in trying to trigger Respect.

I love The Hand Showdown, because the guy is badass Its entire AI deck is aimed at making you feel powerless. Even when you win, you are just a toy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
JudgeU1 wrote:
my ... character hits him

First mistake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Pomella
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also played it that you can read what Applause does beforehand, and it was such an exciting moment when we realised what the Hand "wanted" us to do!

And we also thought that the flavour of its cards was awesome: "Wait, that's a small uppercut?" "Its finger-flick does what?" "Oh, my"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Judge
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
JudgeU1 wrote:
my ... character hits him

First mistake

And it won't be the last!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.