Nathan Moore
United States
Cairo
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so the rulebook is really not clear on this one, but when are you allowed to take timeouts? Can either player call timeout right before snap with the current play or is it supposed to be done in between plays?

The rules state:
There is at least one time/timeout cube in the current half pile.•
The ball is not currently in play.

But the rules do not clearly define what the ball being "in play" means, ie before the ball touches the field ie when the new play is starting to be setup, or just before the ball is hiked.

Strategically this matters because when there are 2 time markers left the defense knows the offense has to pass unless they call timeout or think they have a great chance to score with a run. By waiting until right before they snap before they choose to call a timeout or not they can hide the intent to run the ball.

Conversely if it was more like real football, a timeout at this point could be used to reset the play if the offense or defense didn't like the current setup they are in.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

A play begins when the ball is hiked. See the rulebook, page 12, under "Hut-Hut". The play ends whenever the rules say something like, "...the down ends."

That's when the ball is "in play".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

A play begins when the ball is hiked. See the rulebook, page 12, under "Hut-Hut". The play ends whenever the rules say something like, "...the down ends."

That's when the ball is "in play".

Barry has it right. Anytime right up until the ball is hiked is fair game, and anytime after the play has ended [ie tackle, run out-of-bounds, incomplete pass].

Quote:
Conversely if it was more like real football, a timeout at this point could be used to reset the play if the offense or defense didn't like the current setup they are in.

Rules-as-written you don't get to reset the play. This is mostly done for maintaining the flow of the game and limiting the overall game length. You could house rule it to force and/or allow a reset of the current down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Roth
Canada
Montréal
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
on a side note, Brent, what did you think of these in your games in term of overall game lenght ?
I played all week end long and I found that 4 time out total is maybe a bit too much.
Maybe we'll house rule it to just one TO / player.

Unless I didn't understand how these worked, 4 TO can be each followed with a running play, representing "more time" (8) than a full half in term of regular yellow cubes equivalent (6).
Was this the intent when designing the game ?

We had a (crazy and close, OK, I'll admit that) game where the final minute of the second half was longer then a "regular" half !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yolda wrote:
on a side note, Brent, what did you think of these in your games in term of overall game lenght ?
I played all week end long and I found that 4 time out total is maybe a bit too much.
Maybe we'll house rule it to just one TO / player.

Just to be clear, each coach gets 2 timeout cubes for the entire game. It's not 2 timeout cubes per half. I'm pretty sure that's what you meant.

In terms of time, it really depends on whether or not you use the timeouts and how quickly the plays using them wrap up. I've had timeouts extend the game up to 30 minutes, but it's not the norm.

As far as how they work, one user here on the forums summarized it nicely:

'Each time, you call a time out, you are actually adding time to the end of the half. Once time in the half runs out, there is still added time left. Each red cube left in the half is extra time to run one more play (regardless of whether it is a pass or run).'

Yolda wrote:
Unless I didn't understand how these worked, 4 TO can be each followed with a running play, representing "more time" (8) than a full half in term of regular yellow cubes equivalent (6).
Was this the intent when designing the game ?

We had a (crazy and close, OK, I'll admit that) game where the final minute of the second half was longer then a "regular" half !

As to intent, I think the abstraction works pretty well for modeling what happens on the field, and you'll actually see it happen that way in real professional football. Sometimes the last few plays of the game take the longest amount of actual time due to the timeouts. As you play more games, you'll get better at managing your opponent and the clock. Timeouts won't be that big of an issue then. There are plenty of games that I won't call any timeouts during a game or only end up using a one. It really depends on the situation.

I'll add that those crazy games that come down to the wire with both coaches using all of their timeouts at the very end are exciting! [and probably worth a little extra real world time]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.