Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Elder Sign» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Hastur vs. everyone - Elder Sign session report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sylvio Z
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One more Elder Sign night, this time i am trying to stop Hastur, the king in yellow. He is a reasonable enemy, i already knew at that point, that it would not be a easy task to defeat him. 12 is a kinda difficult number of signs to achieve, and if you are in a bad day, then my friend, you have to get every opportunity. I always say, do not ever think any adventure challenge is too easy, because it is in these ones that you lose the game.

At the moment of the character picking i was a bit nervous, because i knew that depending on the character, it would be a really hard game. But as you guys will see later, not even if i had picked Goku himself up i would have did a good game.

For my surprise the great Jenny Barnes appeared in my hand, so i thought, well, my chances just raised drastically. Maybe that was my mistake, i made little of Hastur, and he did not liked it.

But it is right at that point i knew the game was going to make things difficult to me.

Seeking every elder sign i could i go to the adventure "Don't sleep", but i did not paid the attention i should. Jenny Barnes had 4 tokens of sanity and lost every single one of them right here, because the combinations of the effects of the Adventure and Mythos card, and the challenge of the monster that was there, as you see in the image (the cards are in portuguese, so, sorry for that). Jenny Barnes was dead, simple as this.





To not let this session report too elongated i will just say that after that, Mandy Thompson and Gloria Goldberg came to the game, but both died very shortly, because the challenges in general were very exigent in sanity matters.

I just could not win a single adventure, so the game was very hard for me, besides, in the middle of it i got both red and yellow dices locked, but with a little bit of luck i release them.

I picked Dexter Drake up, and, to be fair, he was great at the beggining. Smashed a couple challenges as you will see, but at that moment the wakenning of Hastur was inevitable.



I started to prepare myself to his come, defeating as many monsters as i could in order to make Hastur's challenge less difficult, did not succeed on that.

Hastur wakes up and i had 6 monsters at the cards. It would not be easy.

I went with everything. All i could do, i did. Used Yellow dice as much as possible (red dice was out of the game). Was not enough.

To be brief, Hastur killed me in 3 clockrounds while i was able to remove just 1 doom token from him.


Don't know if was my day of luck.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rough. I was just told that Jenny Barnes is pretty formidable. To see her go down like that...yikes.
Where you playing vanilla or Gates of Arkham?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BIgLatinDude wrote:
Rough. I was just told that Jenny Barnes is pretty formidable. To see her go down like that...yikes.
Where you playing vanilla or Gates of Arkham?


By the cards he played vanilla.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvio Z
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BIgLatinDude wrote:
Rough. I was just told that Jenny Barnes is pretty formidable. To see her go down like that...yikes.
Where you playing vanilla or Gates of Arkham?


I presume vanilla is the base game? Because, well, i was playing just the base game.
And, man, she is one of the best characters you could pick up, but in this game i just don’t paid attention. Well, maybe if i had managed to kept her alive i would not lose in such a devastating way. However, the combination of the cards and monsters were too exigent on sanity.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United Kingdom
Mold
Clwyd
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Sylvio, that sounded like a rough game. Don’t fall asleep is a tough card, because it is terror icons only. I would tread very carefully when going there. You must have clues to go there, as the green dice only have 1 terror icon each, the red has a wild card and the yellow none! This means, even Jenny will struggle here. Someone like Patrice would be better.

Jenny is powerful, but she’s a fighter, so make sure you keep her killing monsters and earning common items and clues. Gloria is a gate closer....she is only strong in Other World locations. For a good all rounder, I would go with Bob Jenkins or even Kate.

Good luck
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvio Z
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Furey wrote:
Hey Sylvio, that sounded like a rough game. Don’t fall asleep is a tough card, because it is terror icons only. I would tread very carefully when going there. You must have clues to go there, as the green dice only have 1 terror icon each, the red has a wild card and the yellow none! This means, even Jenny will struggle here. Someone like Patrice would be better.

Jenny is powerful, but she’s a fighter, so make sure you keep her killing monsters and earning common items and clues. Gloria is a gate closer....she is only strong in Other World locations. For a good all rounder, I would go with Bob Jenkins or even Kate.

Good luck


Well, so this is the card’s name in english language, i will make sure to edit that. And thanks for the advices Andy, i’m very glad to receive help from other ES players, but i like to pick the characters randomly, however, maybe someday, when i play it once choosing them, i will make sure to do as you say. This will certainly be a good fight arrrh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United Kingdom
Mold
Clwyd
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sylvioze wrote:
Furey wrote:
Hey Sylvio, that sounded like a rough game. Don’t fall asleep is a tough card, because it is terror icons only. I would tread very carefully when going there. You must have clues to go there, as the green dice only have 1 terror icon each, the red has a wild card and the yellow none! This means, even Jenny will struggle here. Someone like Patrice would be better.

Jenny is powerful, but she’s a fighter, so make sure you keep her killing monsters and earning common items and clues. Gloria is a gate closer....she is only strong in Other World locations. For a good all rounder, I would go with Bob Jenkins or even Kate.

Good luck


Well, so this is the card’s name in english language, i will make sure to edit that. And thanks for the advices Andy, i’m very glad to receive help from other ES players, but i like to pick the characters randomly, however, maybe someday, when i play it once choosing them, i will make sure to do as you say. This will certainly be a good fight :arrrh:


I’ve had lots of help on ES, so happy to help others now. I have only one other piece of advice, if you play with only a single character, you do make the game harder for yourself. Try playing two handed (two characters), that way you get a better mix of skills and the characters can help each other.

I love this game, but it can be brutal. If you get the chance, try and buy unseen forces, it really makes the museum experience better.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And after you become familiar and feeling the museeum is a little easy, do pick Gates of Arkham, it's one hell of a ride!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvio Z
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you all! I really appreciate that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.