Subject: Advanced Skills question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, when calculating a team's attack/defense levels, I understand that each player can increase their personal rating by matching advanced skill icons. I also understand that some of these connections have a bonus when matching.

What is unclear is if these bonuses stack. The connections sections says:

ToS Rules wrote:
When connecting two equal advanced skill icons through a line in the field, each Football player in the connection increases their value by 1.

Then, for the additional bonus, it says:

ToS Rules wrote:
If an advanced skill connection uses a line that has a bonus for that skill, each Football player in the connection increases their value by that bonus quantity.

By strict reading, they would stack. A connection is worth 1, and a bonus is worth the written amount. However, in the example on p11, Amarillo/Zeefres only increase their value by 3, rather than 4. Could someone confirm that the correct reading is that they don't stack, and you either take +1 or +3?

Thanks,

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the video I watched, they stack. Each player gets the bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
From the video I watched, they stack. Each player gets the bonus.

Hi,

I know each player gets the bonus. That part is pretty clear. But is the bonus +3 or +4? The rules would suggest +4, but the example in the rulebook suggests +3.

Thanks,

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Auxier
United States
Ridgway
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played this a couple times, so take this with a grain of salt. I believe the example in the rulebook is correct and the +3 bonus replaces the usual +1 instead of adding to it. So each player in your case would get a +3 bonus rather than a +4. Some of the rules are a little unclear on how things like that stack. I used the online helper app created by the designer to plug in various players and see what offense and defense numbers it spit out to learn how things did and didn't stack. It helped me figure out the advanced skills much more than the rulebook. If you plug players into that app based on the scenario you mentioned, they each get +3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
auxierd wrote:
I've only played this a couple times, so take this with a grain of salt. I believe the example in the rulebook is correct and the +3 bonus replaces the usual +1 instead of adding to it. So each player in your case would get a +3 bonus rather than a +4. Some of the rules are a little unclear on how things like that stack. I used the online app created by the designer to plug in various players and see what offense and defense numbers it spit out to learn how things did and didn't stack. It helped me figure out the advanced skills much more than the rulebook. If you plug players into that app based on the scenario you mentioned, they each get +3.

Hi David,

Well, if the app agrees with the example in the rulebook, then that's good enough for me. +3 it is!

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a designated bonus overrides the +1 for simply matching advanced skill icons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.