Subject: Manager question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last question. I understand that a space in my formation that is not occupied is worth -2 points. If I buy a Manager that changes the formation from 4-4-2 to something else, does that improve my score by 2? I ask, as the basic value for each of the black icons is blank, not -2.

Thanks,

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm reading you right... I think the answer is no.

Basically the manager determines which positions you add up for attack value and which add up for defence value.

Any empty spot is simply -2 for either defence or attack depending on the managers formation. They are supposed to be non-professional players.

The black clipboard icon is only used for any player "out of position" because of the manager tactics - that player then uses the black clipboard stat as their basic skill level not their usual coloured value.

I believe that's how the rules read but I agree it isn't specifically clarified as such, so your interpretation may be correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I wasn't very clear, but I think you understood.

What I meant was that the -2 value for an empty spot is labelled in the positional slot. So, the -2 for an attacker is in the red slot, in the orange slot for defenders, yellow for midfield, and blue for wingers. But the black "tactics change" slot is blank. If they meant for the -2 to always apply, I think they would have just put a -2 in a generic place in the spot.

I think this would be a good question for the designers to address, if they are still active on the boards, as it is unclear. For now, though, I think I'm going to run with my interpretation.

Thanks,

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, maybe you are right. Here are the relevant rules:

ToS rules wrote:
If the team plays with a different formation, the Football player who changed their position according the new tactic will use the ability marked in the board with the Manager symbol and black background. The value corresponding to this skill will be the only one taking into account, the rest of them are ignored.

If any position is not covered by a Football player’s tile, it is understood that a non-professional Football player is playing in that position. This reduces the attack or defense value of the team by 2 points.

I highlighted in bold the 2 sections that are useful. I suppose thematically, it would be weird for an amateur player to be good enough that they always improve with a different tactic, whereas a professional could get worse.

Thanks,

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.