Subject: Actions / Round rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a relative newb to TM but I've played a fair amount of Clans of Caledonia (yes I know very different).

However, one of the things I'm struggling with is the number of actions each person can perform in a round. Is a "good" round one in which you managed to accomplish 3 or 4 actions?

I understand that on certain rounds or in certain situations, you just can't do much, but the income for certain races from the start seems paltry compared to other games.

Is that the case here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
I'm a relative newb to TM but I've played a fair amount of Clans of Caledonia (yes I know very different).

However, one of the things I'm struggling with is the number of actions each person can perform in a round. Is a "good" round one in which you managed to accomplish 3 or 4 actions?

I understand that on certain rounds or in certain situations, you just can't do much, but the income for certain races from the start seems paltry compared to other games.

Is that the case here?

I've only played GP once so far, but I have loads of experience with Terra Mystica - and in the latter, once you get better you typically take 5-6 actions each round, and a few more in the final couple of rounds. Round 2 is typically the round where you are tightest for resources, and you might only get 3-4 actions - but this number would not I think ever be considered "good". I do not expect any of this to change much in GP vs TM (in fact if anything I expect the number of actions to go up, because it seems easier to get to 4 knowledge in GP that it was to get a priest in TM, and you can often do a Gaia project which is something that doesn't have any equivalent at all in TM).

Of course, sometimes it's legitimate to deliberately pass early - to take a particular round booster (="bonus tile" in TM language), or to ensure taking a particular power action next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I haven't done anything quantitative, but I feel like there are roughly 50% more to double the number of actions in GP compared to TM. This is due to more techs with actions, more power actions, QIC actions, GP actions, QIC Academy actions, knowledge causes more actions than priests, and forming a Federation is now an action. The only thing reducing the number of actions is the consolidation of terraforming + build mine and no cult spades, but this is not too much of a reduction as this might happen about 4-10 times (guesstimate) a game.

I think DocCool might have stats on average # of turns for TM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, doing a lot of actions is no value on its own - it's what you achieve with the actions, and what they cost.

Out of context, there's no way to say whether it's "better" to upgrade two mines to TS (two actions) than to upgrade a RL to AC (one action). And quite obviously, a 'spend 4 knowledge to advance on a research track' action is less valuable than upgrading a TS to RL. Etc.

JamesWolfpacker wrote:
No, sorry. Juho might be able to compare these for different skill levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:

Is that the case here?

It depends on the efficiency and weight of the actions. 1 high scoring, highly efficient action can be better, than 3 inefficient actions.

There are a ton of variables to these types of games that must be weighed. It's one of the draws for me, adapting to and playing around constraints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
No, sorry. Juho might be able to compare these for different skill levels.

I thought you said that players had about 40-50 turns in TM including leech decisions. Was it someone else, perhaps Juho?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.