Subject: So i just played my first game of this tonight... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And everyone who played came away rather unimpressed by the whole experience.

We have the original game, and we all enjoy it, but this just introduces things that just seem to overcomplicate things and the rules are VERY poorly written.
Spoiler (click to reveal)

We played what the manual suggested, play the Klaxxon module with the objectives that they advised us to play, and it was super confusing to the point we nearly stopped playing entirely, and in the end were not actually sure if we had won or lost, or what was actually going on.

I'm not sure if the objectives suggested are just completely broken, but it didn't really make any sense at all.

So we had to board up all the areas of the Klaxxon, but it also advised us we needed to complete the dice at the Klaxxon before each round(which was technically impossible as we were not able to actually move to that location). Now unless this was blindingly obvious in the rules, and i just misread them, it basically meant we had to deal with Mutated zombies from the off.

Also, on our end game, we had to make sure there was no mutated zombies out, and make sure we had die on the klaxxon event, so it didnt trigger, but our crisis card basically made it impossible for this win condition to happen(or did it????......we had eliminated all of the mutated zombies, and had the required dice, but the resolve crisis card told us to reveal the next three klaxxon event cards.....so it was impossible as the resolve crisis comes before you read the objective)

It basically felt like an extremely broken game, and one that i will probably struggle to get to the table again.

when i had finished, i was unsure whether the game felt broken or the objectives they ask you to play through to try and learn the game were just utter rubbish

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Garrett
United States
Oxford
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry you had a bad experience! Did you end up playing through the Improvements Module? We did that one first and enjoyed it a lot. Although it made the game a bit too easy for us. We followed up with the Bandits Module and then did RaXXon last.

Did you read the scenario in the rulebook as indicated on the bottom of every card? If you go through the Special Main Objective cards in order things become much more clear.

In this scenario the containment code doesn't come into play until you have revealed Special Main Objective R3. Additionally, while playing through Special Main Objective R1, you're NOT supposed to be able to go to that location. After you complete R1, the barricades explode and RaXXon becomes a location you can go to. After that your Special Main Objective R2 is to get to RaXXon and place an action die there. It's only after this that the special zombies come into play. It's meant to be thematic and simulate the RaXXon outbreak. If you read the flavor text it plays like a little mini movie.

It sounds like you may have played things out of order, or applied the rules as a whole at the beginning of this introductory scenario rather than introducing each rule one-by-one as outlined in the rulebook. I'd suggest you re-read pg. 20 (english rules)- The Chimp and the Code carefully before your next play.

I agree it's a little weird that the rules become "active" as you play through the scenario, but if you read everything in the rule book as they indicated then it's pretty straightforward. I hope you get this to the table again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played it as described in the rules(although as i mentioned, they were pretty ambigious)

For example:

If there is one die on the raxxon location for each player(is that each player who is at the location, or each player who is playing the game?

And it also makes the game a bit of a mess as the lowest player gets to move to the location, and also gets the chmip...so in a 4 player game its impossible to complete that objective if the person who gets the chimp is last(which happened)

And do they have to match the die that are on the contamination cards..and if yes, how can you have for example 4 out, if there is only one card in play?)

I actually think it would have been a much better game if we ignored the suggested scenarios to try and 'teach' us how to play.

When we play again, do we instantly have to initiate the first contamination effect before we get a chance to resolve it?

I love the main game to bits, this one just seems a bit broken, and things in the rules even hint to it also(you can mix your location decks if you want, it may make it easier or harder...or just put the cards in you want basically....its almost telling you the game is not entirely complete and needs houseruling before you have even played it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingtreelo wrote:
We played it as described in the rules(although as i mentioned, they were pretty ambigious)

For example:

If there is one die on the raxxon location for each player(is that each player who is at the location, or each player who is playing the game?

And it also makes the game a bit of a mess as the lowest player gets to move to the location, and also gets the chmip...so in a 4 player game its impossible to complete that objective if the person who gets the chimp is last(which happened)

And do they have to match the die that are on the contamination cards..and if yes, how can you have for example 4 out, if there is only one card in play?)

I actually think it would have been a much better game if we ignored the suggested scenarios to try and 'teach' us how to play.

When we play again, do we instantly have to initiate the first contamination effect before we get a chance to resolve it?

I love the main game to bits, this one just seems a bit broken, and things in the rules even hint to it also(you can mix your location decks if you want, it may make it easier or harder...or just put the cards in you want basically....its almost telling you the game is not entirely complete and needs houseruling before you have even played it)

We skipped the intro scenario, so I can't speak to that, but I've played loads with the Raxxon module.

Basically, on Raxxon there's a zombie with two dice, say 1 and 4 . Okay. Now, which player in your group has dice in their pool that is 1 & 4 ? Send that guy there, and use his dice. If no one quite has those dice, then maybe send 2 people, and one guy spends 1 and the other guy spends the 4 . OR, if you can't even muster that, then maybe eat a food to manipulate a dice.

For the most part, you should easily prevent these things from flooding out of Raxxon. (especially with more players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrsuitcase wrote:
Kingtreelo wrote:

For example:

We skipped the intro scenario, so I can't speak to that
, but I've played loads with the Raxxon module.

Basically, on Raxxon there's a zombie with two dice, say 1 and 4 . Okay. Now, which player in your group has dice in their pool that is 1 & 4 ? Send that guy there, and use his dice. If no one quite has those dice, then maybe send 2 people, and one guy spends 1 and the other guy spends the 4 . OR, if you can't even muster that, then maybe eat a food to manipulate a dice.

For the most part, you should easily prevent these things from flooding out of Raxxon. (especially with more players).

I understand how it should work, but the introduction scenario and objectives were terrible and the rules very poorly worded

Also...it says you have to do the Raxxon before you even start, does that mean you start with one mutated zombie before you even start?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We don’t start with a Raxxon zombie in play. I don’t think that makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.