United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
Des Moines Area Boardgamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this yet, but for major gamers is the the defacto way to play?

I also noticed you can handicap yourself by mixing who is playing what. I am just curious what peoples thoughts are. I am not sure I 100% understood what the advanced rules were telling me so I need to re-read more carefully. Have 2 plays under my belt so far with just the regular game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
repthrd wrote:
I haven't played this yet, but for major gamers is the the defacto way to play?

I also noticed you can handicap yourself by mixing who is playing what. I am just curious what peoples thoughts are. I am not sure I 100% understood what the advanced rules were telling me so I need to re-read more carefully. Have 2 plays under my belt so far with just the regular game.

You should play the Navratanas (sp?) variant as soon as possible. It's much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jackson
United States
Mather
California
flag msg tools
OK, one time Randy Beaman had to take baths with his brother. So one time his little brother took a potty in the bathtub .....and now Randy Beaman gets to take showers alone. 'K, bye.
badge
One time, OK, see, one time Randy Beaman's little brother ate Pop Rocks and drank a soda at the same time and his head exploded! 'K, bye.
mbmbmbmbmb
Only a couple plays in, but it seems that the Navaratnas expansion allows you to focus better on a certain strategy, i.e. rush to all 6 workers, acquire specific yield tokens to push money/fame.

In the end, I wouldn't say it's mandatory, but it provides that little extra flexibility. I'm pretty sure that we'll always play WITH it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I second previous posts.

With the base game the rewards from your player board are a bit too strong at the expense of other strategies. Also the spot for dice 2 at the palace remains very strong as long as white tiles are available.

Navaratnas provides a bit more planning and focus. Not sure about 5 workers (base game) vs. 6 workers (advanced) though. I have the feeling, that the advance game kind of forces you to go for 6 workers as the compensation for less active workers is not enough. This weakens extreme strategies, which might or might not be a good thing.

You can and should handicup yourself against new players with your player board, Side B. But that's not exactly the Navaratnas variant, but more of a mix between base game and Navaratnas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.