Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
In this thread pls, ask questions about this missions. All questions will be answered and used to build FAQ for the mission. You can already find a FAQ in the app based on the questions from our awesome play-testers. I wish you a great time with Epidemic mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Fitzgerald
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
After I opened my isolation ward and randomly assigned the red and green cubes, the red cube landed on the check mark space. Does this mean that my astronaut in the isolation ward would have to roll a die for each action they took? If so what color die would they roll?

I also wasn't 100% clear on if your astronaut is able to take actions while in an isolation ward. I chose to let them take actions in my game.

Can epidimic conditions be healed off like normal condition tokens?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I THINK the Isolation wards are just a way of marking which players aren't sharing their conditions with the entire group. You still get both pawns. A malfunctioning Cogwheel is the only malfunction that has a game effect except that those red lights could also threaten your threshold value.

And we assumed that you could heal face-down conditions just like you could face-up ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fimon Telarde
msg tools
If an astronaut get to 100% of the research track, can it be affected if there is no clean water? move the tracker down to 90%?

Also, if an astronaut get a condition for gettin wounds, does it spread to everyone in the epidemic phase?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Herrin
United States
Wilmington
NC
flag msg tools
badge
Swim Swim Hungry!
mbmbmbmbmb
dgenclass2 wrote:
If an astronaut get to 100% of the research track, can it be affected if there is no clean water? move the tracker down to 90%?

Also, if an astronaut get a condition for getting wounds, does it spread to everyone in the epidemic phase?

Thanks!

I know this is a very late reply, but we just played this scenario.

We played if an astronaut gets to 100%, he is cured. Therefore, he is no longer impacted by not having clean water. His conditions also no longer affect anyone else, even if not in isolation.

We played that it doesn't matter how an astronaut gets a condition, the conditions behave the same way. So the answer to your second question is yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Herrin
United States
Wilmington
NC
flag msg tools
badge
Swim Swim Hungry!
mbmbmbmbmb
While playing this scenario, we made a few assumptions where the rules were not clear. I am looking for verification that we played correctly.

But first, is there a FAQ in the application specifically for this mission? The mission sheet says there is, but we couldn't find it.

Now for the rules questions.

One, do you have to shut down other modules to compensate for the extra demand of oxygen and power when building the isolation ward? We played that you do, which meant shutting down two modules. One for power and one for oxygen. The extra four stress caused numerous fistfights.

Two, can the Geologist use the "Create sample using two tokens" ability to create unpolluted water? We played that he can, which meant we didn't bother exploring or gathering samples. We just made sure he had tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian S.
msg tools
tlh1138 wrote:

One, do you have to shut down other modules to compensate for the extra demand of oxygen and power when building the isolation ward? We played that you do, which meant shutting down two modules. One for power and one for oxygen. The extra four stress caused numerous fistfights.

I really would like to have some clarification on that too... As you are supposed to be able to build Isolation Wards up to the number of astronauts playing, I can't really believe you are supposed to place an energy and an oxygen shutdown tile for every Isolation Ward. Considering you should at least be able to build two Isolation Wards, that would mean +8 Stress every sol, +12 or +16 if you build 3 or 4. That would mean a fight every sol and make no sense at all. I don't think that is intended, especially because there is no way to counter it in this scenario (it nowhere says you are able to build backup facilities to produce more energy/oxygen).
Still, just ignoring an actually clear rule (place shutdown tiles if you do not produce enough energy/oxygen in production phase) because it seems not intended feels bad. But remember you have to shutdown only one facility per Isolation Ward, as every facility can hold one energy and one oxygen shutdown tile.

It's a pity that the rules of this game are far from complete! I don't think it's a bad game, but it definitely is not finished and needed more work before sold to customers. You cannot publish it when there are still so many important things ambiguous. The mission sheet relating to the in-app-FAQ for "answers to all specific situations" is a bad joke. I'm disappointed about the carelessness of the author and publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
phase iv
Germany
flag msg tools
SebastianCSS wrote:
tlh1138 wrote:

I really would like to have some clarification on that too... As you are supposed to be able to build Isolation Wards up to the number of astronauts playing, I can't really believe you are supposed to place an energy and an oxygen shutdown tile for every Isolation Ward. Considering you should at least be able to build two Isolation Wards, that would mean +8 Stress every sol, +12 or +16 if you build 3 or 4. That would mean a fight every sol and make no sense at all. I don't think that is intended, especially because there is no way to counter it in this scenario (it nowhere says you are able to build backup facilities to produce more energy/oxygen).
Still, just ignoring an actually clear rule (place shutdown tiles if you do not produce enough energy/oxygen in production phase) because it seems not intended feels bad. But remember you have to shutdown only one facility per Isolation Ward, as every facility can hold one energy and one oxygen shutdown tile.

It's a pity that the rules of this game are far from complete! I don't think it's a bad game, but it definitely is not finished and needed more work before sold to customers. You cannot publish it when there are still so many important things ambiguous. The mission sheet relating to the in-app-FAQ for "answers to all specific situations" is a bad joke. I'm disappointed about the carelessness of the author and publisher.

You are not supposed to build three or four isolation wards, you are supposed to cure all astronauts.

Every rules source clearly states that a facilty needs energy/oxygen upkeep if it has an energy connector/oxygen filter. Exceptions to this rule, like with the Deimos lander in Landing, are given in a mission description. The game, just like every other game i know, expects you to apply a rule until it tells you not to. If it wasn't done this way you had to copypaste the whole rulebook onto each mission sheet.

A strategy which might appear appealing at first (building many isolation wards as a safety measure) will probably not work... so what. That does not mean that the scenario is broken, it means that you have to find a different way to win. Getting thrown at with non-viable options where to put your pawns IS THE GAME. Do you run to the control center every time a malfunction track is incremented? No, you don't. Do you build four isolation wards when you can have two cured astronauts by the end of sol three? No, you don't. Do you build oxygenators and solar panels at the beginning of Landing to solve your supply problems? The threshold will kill you.

I do not want to defend the designer, the game is not perfect and i share the assessment that its release was rushed at some point, but the amount of complaining and the willingness to drop common sense when an obstacle arises has gotten ridiculous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian S.
msg tools
Hi phase, you do have a point there, I have to admit. However you got me a little bit wrong. I never played this scenario with more than one Isolation Ward and you are right, we actually have a clear rule here. It's just my personal opinion that what the game allows should at least possibly make sense in some situation. Abd there is a short video in which the author talkes a bit about the scenario, he explicitly recommends building AT LEAST one Isolation Ward. Personally, I think, applying the rules as they are it is impossible to build even two Wards, because you have to shutdown two other facilities and take +8 stress every sol. The game allows to build up to 4 Isolation Wards which can never make any sense. Furthermore I don't like that you have no possibility to enhance energy/oxygen production in this scenario. It's not broken, definitely not, but it's just no good game design, I think. It's careless.
Actually, I just found out, my real problem is, I lost trust in the author and the rules because of so many ambiguous situations in the gameplay. Therefore, as I don't trust anymore and they did not clarify about this Isolation Ward issue, I personally have the feeling the author just missed out on this issue. This is what makes it feel bad for me, though I would never play this scenario with more than one Isolation Ward and it is not broken.
I like heavy games and am totally willing to take frustration, learn and finally win. But I don't like unfinished rules in a game. Makes it feel like being a test player having payed full price.
But you are right, we actually have a clear rule here. My complaint and bad feelings arise from the fact that I still have not played a single First Martians scenario without ambiguous rule situations - especially in cases of many events. In my opinion not the criticism but the fact that they sell a game that actually still is (should be) in production is the bigger problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tropical Penguin
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the production phase: intoxication - it asks to discard 1 unpolluted water unit or each astronaut decreases their diagnosis marker by 10%.

Does this sample have to come from the cargo bay or can it just be discarded from an ROI (if you don't have it in the cargo bay)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.