Hide
7 Posts

Eldritch Horror: The Dreamlands» Forums » Rules

Subject: Unspeakable research rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Slava Rybka
msg tools
I would be happy to get a clarification regarding the back of one of the "Unspeakable research" task cards. The cards itself allows you to accumulate tokens on it until you decide to flip it, and then the back reads:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
"Spawn 1 Clue for each Eldritch token on this card. Then, if there are Eldritch tokens on this card equal to half Number of Investigators, advance the active Mystery by 1. Then discard this card. "

If interpret it literally, I need exactly the correct number of tokens to benefit from the additional effect, and if I have less or more than half the number of investigators, I won't get it. It seems a bit weird to me, as putting more effort in this task will give me less of a benefit in that case. Should it be understood as "...equal to or greater than half Number of Investigators..."?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say interpret it as "equal to or greater". This is the same phrasing as used on mystery cards and I interpret it this way in those cases as well.

Think of it as someone asking you if you have $5, and if you have $6, you'd still say yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please put such card text in spoiler tags. Many of us don't read the cards until we encounter them in play. i hadn't seen the back of this card before, and now i know what it says .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aurelian
United Kingdom
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This kind of wording occurs in several other places too but I think it's clear they mean "if X or more". I find it helps that the Eldritch tokens are piled individually on the card. Somehow it's then easier to 'see' that there are 2 tokens on a card which has a stack of 3 or more. You could even argue this is the most literal interpretation (eg. are there 2 tokens on the card, yes or no?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, when it uses that phrasing it's not using precise mathematical language. It's just regular old counting, and in regular old counting you have to have two of something in order to have three of something. You can think of it as 'Yes, there are two tokens on the card, and there's also a third token but that doesn't matter'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that the cards, especially the mini cards, have a very limited amount of space on them. So the designers regularly use phrasing that's designed to be as compact as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Visier wrote:
(...) the back reads:" (...) if there are Eldritch tokens on this card equal to half Number of Investigators, advance the active Mystery by 1. (...) "

If interpret it literally, I need exactly the correct number of tokens to benefit from the additional effect, and if I have less or more than half the number of investigators, I won't get it. (...)
It should be something like "at least equal" or "equal or greater" but those cards have a small amount of space so FFG is trying to shorten the text as much as possible.
There was a discussion about it some time ago where BGG users had some wordings which conserved space but weren't ambiguous.
For example, I would replace "Eldritch tokens on this card equal to half
" with "at least half
Eldritch tokens on this card
".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.