Hide
5 Posts

Fallout» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Two-player Commonwealth, beginner's game (light spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell Jones
msg tools
My wife and I played through the Commonwealth scenario as suggested in the L2P guide. Here's how it shook out:

[b]Warning: Light Spoilers Throughout[/]

Brotherhood Outcast (OP)
Starting Agenda: Get 3 Drugs (1inf) and Well Rested (1inf)
Wastelander (wife)
Starting Agenda: Security (Shield faction)

Biggest rules screwups: Faction Tokens, Enemy presence

The Broutcast and Waster went separate ways from the camp starting space, flipping a few tiles and turning up humanoid enemies (gray tokens). This led us to complete the first part of the scenario mission rather quickly, and gave the Shield faction (Institute) an early lead on the track. Waster focused on killing and leveling, snagging the perk to level again and gain more SPECIAL tokens. Broutcast was trying to get to Diamond City and work on quests, while running low on caps.

The big screwups happened here. We didn't realize the shield which started in Diamond City was a synth we could fight, so we ignored it for the first half of the game. We also didn't fully realize how many actions enemies prevent from happening, so we pulled some encounters without fighting enemies first which should not have happened.

Waster just kept pulling Fistful Of Caps off the loot deck, going up to 15 caps before end of the game. Broutcast killed the biggest bads, a Super Mutant Master and Deathclaw, but never could get enough caps (or luck on scavenging) to complete their starting agenda, much less any of the other quests which popped up. Waster romped through the quests largely unimpeded, racking up the agenda cards.

We had three deaths, but they were more a delay than an actual critical setback. The branching encounters were incredibly satisfying and fun: Broutcast became Idolized while Waster was Villified, we leaned into the RP on those. Game ended with Shield / Institute faction crushing the Star / Railroad, giving Waster enough Influence (barely) to win.

Thoughts - more games and scenarios will solidify this, but it felt very difficult for Broutcast to climb out of the hole they started in. This goes back to the Eurogamer Review thread which called out the faction cards as unbalancing things from the start, so I won't go more into that. Caps in particular were hard to come by, since I had to spend them to move faster in the starting power armor. Definitely will emphasize the need to get agenda cards quickly and plan around those for players I introduce to the game.

For now, the wife likes it, I enjoy the individual systems, time to just see how they coalesce into a whole experience through more games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mb
At the beginning of your turn (or whenever you acquire new item/loot cards for that matter), you are allowed to swap out your equipped items.

As the brotherhood, couldn't you remove your power armor until you got within a space or two of combat, thus having your cake and eating it too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Massey
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, why not !?

Take your turn & take your chances

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Goble
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
And if you get loot after fighting a level one enemy without armor you can put the armor back on just in time for enemy activation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Knapp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll be dragging inviting my wife to the table to play this soon enough.

My biggest fear with a few solo games under my belt by now is that its going to be easy to forget who's turn it is and which action they're on... So many times, the resolution of a single quest/encounter can take several minutes with reading the card, choosing the action, performing the "test", resolving any rewards, and adding/staging the next card(s).

It's not a complaint, mind you - I just fear we're going to stop a lot to ask, "Wait - was that my first action or my second...?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.