Anne G
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I am looking at a game situation where the hero is confronting a number of enemies all at once and needs to decide who to fight.

I would like to find simple rules that make choosing who to confront and how to win interesting and/or challenging.

In City of zombies, each zombie has a number and you try to roll that number exactly or you try to combine dice with math to hit that number. The dice you rolled tells you who you can confront, and you win the fight if you can use all your dice.

In molkky, a nordic outdoor game, you either hit as many pins as you can all at once for a point each, or you try to hit a specific pin, to get that pin's count. You win if the sum of all your hit points end up adding up to 50 exactly.

What are ways to confront the enemy where there is some strategy to deciding which to confront. And whether you win or lose is not about comparing which die has a higher value, or whether your die is over a certain set value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: simple rules to decide which enemy to confront, as in City of zombies and Molkyy
Quote:
In molkyy, a nordic outdoor game, you either hit as many pins as you can all at once for a point each, or you try to hit a specific pin, to get that pin's count. You win if the sum of all your hit points end up adding up to 50 exactly

Mölkky looks fun!

Why not go with that option?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne G
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Yes I like those two options, and hopefully we will play Molkky soon.

I would like to play a game with up to 10 different episodes (if the game catches the interest of my kiddo) and was wondering about other options to vary the fighting rules on each episode, so that each episode would be new and unique in terms of challenges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne G
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Idea #3

Using the monza idea, each enemy could be color coded, and you have to approach someone that you can fight given the dice set you rolled. But the strings of fights may leave you in a vulnerable position. So that may lead to some strategy.

Idea #4

aesthetocyst wrote:
I decided to make some cards to replace dice in certain games, to ameliorate randomness, and return some control to the players.

The general concept I had was to let players hold a hand of cards, the size of which would be no mare than half the possible single die outcomes, possibly far less if I got into looking at larger ranges of possibilities, but also increasing the hand size if combinations were in play.

Maybe the players could have a set of cards so that each hero can only defeat some of the enemies, some easy to find, some hard: You can fight
an enemy that has a partner next to him, or one space away from him etc.
Or some interesting spatial pattern.

Idea #5
Same as above, but the cards might have two enemies, so the players would
have to work together to fight two enemies in one turn who might not be next to each other.

Idea $6 from Kagematsu
Number of dice and whatever power that gives you is in proportion to the threat the enemy represents. Or inversely.

So maybe when you are far away you can move very quickly but when you are close you can't move as much.
You might be more vulnerable. Or maybe when you are far you don't have much of a chance of success but it gets better as you get closer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.