Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: One action confusion help please... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M D
msg tools
mb
Hello everyone and happy holidays!!!

We had the first try of this game today but we are unsure about one detail.
Doing i ne action means either using the strategy card or activate with the action token the board? If this is correct how many action tokens I can use from my pool when is my turn?

I ask because we saw an example on the learning book with already a token of the same player down.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, there are 3 types of actions you can do on your turn, you choose only 1 action per turn:

Strategy - Activating a strategy card you have.

Component - Using an item such as an action card that says "Action"

Tactical - Using one of the tokens in the tactic section of your sheet to activate a system on the board (to move ships, produce, etc.). On your turn you would take 1 token from the pool and place it in a system. You can have more than 1 token on the board over the course of the entire round, it just depends on how many tokens are available in the tactic area.

There is also a tech card (Fleet Logistics) that can be researched that allows you to take 2 actions during a turn, in which case, after using 1 token and completing the action, you could use a second token for the other action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason why you saw the other tokens there is due to actions in previous turns.

To demonstrate this, let's assume you are the first in initiative order and have the first turn. You take a Tactical Action in that turn, placing a token from your tactic pool in the system and performing the steps. Then, every other player will do one action each in initiative order.

Once the final player takes their turn, it is time for you to take your second turn. You choose to take your Strategy Action now and follow the instructions for the primary ability on the card, then the other players can pay a strategy token to do the secondary ability. Then, as before, each other player chooses and takes an action.

It will now be time for your third turn. You might choose another Tactical Action, activating another system (note that your token from the first action is already in one system, so you need to choose a different one), or perhaps you will play an Action card that starts with "Action:" to take a Component Action instead. Whatever you choose, you do that and then your opponents each get an action.

Eventually, you will be done with taking Actions and on your turn, you will choose to Pass. You can only do this if you have taken all of your Strategy Actions for the turn (which we did in the second turn of the round). Once everybody has Passed, the Action Phase ends and you move to the Status Phase, which will end the round (after also doing the Agenda Phase if somebody ha gained Mecatol Rex). You'll then start the next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M D
msg tools
mb
Thank you Jorgen! You made it clear. We missed this rotation and we where doing all the movements up to token exhaustion then playing the strategy card.

Tomorrow I know what we will do....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.