Subject: Solo game variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing my first game of Time of Soccer, using the solo variant, but with one twist. Rather than just rolling the dice 3 times to remove tiles from the board, I draw turn order, myself + 3 Neutral teams, at the start of the game. Then, I pass the first player marker around, as you would with a 4 player game. So, sometimes I am first to move, sometimes last. Seems more realistic.

Thanks,

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a few have done this but it didn't sit easy with me personally and then Koinskyz came up with a cool suggestion:

Quote:
EDIT : "VARIANT" TO SOLO AND DICE ROLLS TO REMOVE TILES IN THE MARKET

There's been a conversation, in the comments, regarding solo and tiles removal in the market.

Paul and I establish a turn order at the beginning of the game so that we don't always roll for the "robots" before we take our turn.
Ibbo found it was a nice idea but opposed that, being the only brain at the table, he thought it was fair to make it harder on him with the 3 robots rolling before his own turn.

This conversation made me think of a variant (I really like to play with turn order but I agree with Ibbo that things could be too easy that way).

I kept the turn order but replaced one D6 with a D4. This way, the probabilities are better for the bots to remove a tile.

So far, I played 2 solo games (1Player) this way and even if I didn't do the maths, I found it nicely balanced. The turn order adds some strategy to where to locate your car on the market for the next turn, the 1D4 increase probabilities to see the target(s) tile(s) removed before you get to them and thus, tension.

See what you think.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/191963/item/3945931#item3...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Leist

Hagerstown
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ibbo wrote:
Yes, a few have done this but it didn't sit easy with me personally and then Koinskyz came up with a cool suggestion:

Quote:
EDIT : "VARIANT" TO SOLO AND DICE ROLLS TO REMOVE TILES IN THE MARKET

There's been a conversation, in the comments, regarding solo and tiles removal in the market.

Paul and I establish a turn order at the beginning of the game so that we don't always roll for the "robots" before we take our turn.
Ibbo found it was a nice idea but opposed that, being the only brain at the table, he thought it was fair to make it harder on him with the 3 robots rolling before his own turn.

This conversation made me think of a variant (I really like to play with turn order but I agree with Ibbo that things could be too easy that way).

I kept the turn order but replaced one D6 with a D4. This way, the probabilities are better for the bots to remove a tile.

So far, I played 2 solo games (1Player) this way and even if I didn't do the maths, I found it nicely balanced. The turn order adds some strategy to where to locate your car on the market for the next turn, the 1D4 increase probabilities to see the target(s) tile(s) removed before you get to them and thus, tension.

See what you think.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/191963/item/3945931#item3...

I like this approach, because my first game resulted in very few tiles being taken by bots especially after Wednesday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.