Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Courtesy of Protikon from the reddit stream, the remaining cards from the first data pack of the Kitara cycle are here:

https://imgur.com/a/qZN0D

Notable things to look forward to:

Yusuf- offers more versatility with viral counters and could be a reasonable combo with Datasucker or a card like the yet-to-be-released Friday Chip. I'm sure people will still compare it to Paperclip;

Zamba- I presume this is 419's console, as it triggers off of expose effects and has the potential to generate decent credits if you decide to go all into an expose deck build. (Seriously, why does FFG make us wait to collect all the support cards- 419 won't even be released until the 4th data pack...);

Najja 1.0- not a bad little card, kinda like Eli 0.5;

Calibration Testing- NBN regains some FA tricks, although this seems quite expensive to pull it off (barring something quite weird like CT x 3 installed via Shipment from Mirrormorph into remote with Breaker Bay Grid);

Mganga- per Wikipedia this an African shaman or witch doctor, and perhaps an incentive for me to brush off my pie-in-the-sky Nisei deck. This appears to be a pseudo-reincarnation of Data Mine;

Genotyping- another recursion tool that could be used for agenda floods (and is splashable at only two influence);

Reconstruction Contract- a strong card with good numbers that synergizes with Builder of Nations and other meat damage cards that compliments glacier-style decks;

Wake Up Call- after pointing out that City Works Project is a great defensive 5/3 agenda that is still very much vulnerable to Film Critic, Weyland gets a tool to selectively assassinate FC or force the Runner to eat 4 meat damage (does require the Runner to trash a Corp card during the previous turn). But you could also target a Maw or other console. And doesn't need a tag to fire!

[Edit- I did not originally notice that Wake Up Call lacks the cannot be prevented text, which is a reasonable restriction on its power curve in addition to the RFG effect.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
why does Yusuf need to wait for Friday Chip when Virus Breeding Grounds and Incubator already exist? (and do it better anyway)

Zamba is way better with GPI Net Tap than 419's ability, and you can easily run it out of something like Los, Geist, or even Gabe with a decent amount of derez effects
also Deuces Wild and some Drive-Bys
there's also the oft-forgotten Silhouette

Najja is great. it's the best barrieroid so long as paperclip exists

i don't see how Calibration Testing is expensive to pull off when Biotic is one credit more
just look at it like as an Astro replacement: 3 credits for an extra advancement at paid ability speed whenever you want, only it costs 2 fewer clicks and gives 2 fewer agenda points. it's also not strictly a fast advance tool. like the old butchershop Haarpsichord, you can place a counter on an advanceable trap right as the runner commits to accessing, like Shattered Remains, Aggressive Secretary, or even Junebug

Echo Chamber is the main NBN card i'm excited about though. you throw it in your remote late game and dare the runner to call your bluff. they don't check it, you pay 3 credits and get +1 point. they call your bluff, run through the remote, pay through everything like the ash trace and red herrings, suffer the mumbad virtual tour.... and it's a damn echo chamber. they'll trash it for one, but the scoring opportunity for the corp next turn is wide open

Gene Splicer is very similar in that it's a trap you throw down and advance and wait to see if the runner calls it. if they dont, you get a point eventually. if they do, they take some net damage. won't ever do as much net damage as junebug, but at least it does something if the runner ignores it. takes out some of the reward but also a LOT of the risk

Genotyping isn't really great for flood, but it is a great recursion tool and fits well with a lot of what Jinteki wants to do, which is throw traps in the bin, hide valuable stuff there, and dare the runner to go in after it

Reconstruction Contract is a great card, but i don't see how it works with glacier. i see that it fits very well into BoN rush and any rush Weyland with ping meat damage effects. it could potentially see a thousand cuts (punches?) style Argus with this card
it's also amazing thematically for Weyland, being paid to clean up the mess that they made

Wake Up Call sucks; Mganga is ok; City Works Project is actually a really bad defensive agenda since it only triggers while installed; compare Obokata that requires the damage to fire as a cost to steal and also triggers anywhere

Asa Group will be just as prevalent as EtF. it's obviously not as good, but it's insanely good in this meta

Ikawa seems really great too. i could see this going well in Seidr but also just HB in general with all the bioroids and ways to cost clicks like Ronald 5, Mason Bellamy, Brain Taping, Strongbox, etc.

By Any Means is a great card, but could be part of some super broken combo. the trash is not optional, and the damage is not a cost, so it can be prevented (Paparazzi and Jarogniew, for example), or can be used to trigger Clan Vengeance. it could potentially be a new Vanadis combo
i'm hoping it doesn't, and if it does, it'll see a swift entrance to the ban/restricted list, but it's really good all on its own at least

Puffer is solid. i could see it working really well in a program-light criminal that has 5-6 MU and only 3 programs installed. could go on Dhegdheer, but it's 4 influence, so i doubt it. we'll see though

Lewi seems like a great card with the right support. restrict corp handsize, then flood HQ with stuff like Fisk Investment Seminar and either Fisk himself or Leela. Legwork could see almost all of HQ. SYN Attack becomes a really tough choice for the corp if their handsize is only 4 (also hilarious against Cybernetics Division, but ultimately useless against CI)

Cyberdelia is basically Mr Phones making all of is calls out of an Akamatsu Memchip. so long as you need the MU and want to make runs every turn (eg: if you're Kit or Smoke), it could pay off. has the same problem as Dyson, Memory Diamond, and Borrowed Satellite, where it's harder to justify the more cards you tape together since you basically need all of the values to be useful for it to be worth it, but this one doesn't seem to charge an extra credit for the fusion and also can start paying off turn of install

could go well with Upya too. just keep running R&D every turn and get paid for it. if that's your whole plan, Mirror might not be awful (finally), but you'd still probably want something more consistent like Astrolabe or Ubax for the extra draw

and of course Assimilator is just what APEX needed. the obvious use of getting around his resource restriction, but APEX can also use Hunting Grounds basically as a tutor. his ID ability can almost be read as: spend 2 clicks to install a card, ignoring all costs

but it doesn't actually install the card, so notable things it prevents you from doing:
don't get money from cards like Armitage or Liberated
no Femme token
but you do get high-cost stuff for free, like: Rachel Beckman, Morningstar, Bagbiter (won't lose your credits since he wasn't installed with his text active)
i think APEX still wants Levy over Aesops, so it won't totally change what he's running, but 2 clicks for a lot of cards seems really solid

overall a great pack. only one card that i think is just not good and only one card that could potentially be gamebreaking, but everything else is at least fun and playable to really solid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the right setup, Yusuf looks insane to me. I guess we'll see how it is played.

I agree that Asa Group will probably see a lot of play. Installing more things is really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Stone
United States
Dallas
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tommygunn2011 wrote:
Courtesy of Protikon from the reddit stream, the remaining cards from the first data pack of the Kitara cycle are here:

https://imgur.com/a/qZN0D

Notable things to look forward to:

Zamba- I presume this is 419's console, as it triggers off of expose effects and has the potential to generate decent credits if you decide to go all into an expose deck build. (Seriously, why does FFG make us wait to collect all the support cards- 419 won't even be released until the 4th data pack...);

Because Zamba is meant to do double duty as a boost to both 419 and Silhouette.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
dormouse wrote:
Because Zamba is meant to do double duty as a boost to both 419 and Silhouette.

WHAT?! You can use cards with more than one runner?! No wonder my deckbuilding has been so stifled....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.