Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Next War: Poland» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few more newbie questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Luminati
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A few more newbie questions as I’ve shifted to the Red Storm Scenario to begin learning the strategic display.

1)Do clearing markers get placed even if there’s no combat involved? In other words, a non-Allied unit enters a city/land area with normal movement and there are no allied units present. Do I place a clearing marker and resolve it at the appropriate time or do I simply update control without going through a clearing operation?

2)Does non-Allied control over an Allied city/land area even if all non-Allied units are removed? I’m assuming that clearing operations completed successfully and non-Allied units move on during a subsequent turn.

3)I’m a bit confused about holding boxes. Are non-Allied units in Russia/Belarus land areas considered to be in holding boxes for the purposes of paradrops or do they first have to expend their movement points moving into a holding box and then conducting a paradrop on a subsequent movement segment?

4)In general high rolls on the CRT are better for the defender, but not exclusively (see CRT column 6 where an 8 results in a 2/1 but a 9 gives 2/- and then 10 gives 1/1). It seems this would imply the defender might have been harmed by applying CS or other favorable DRMs to a roll. Am I reading this right, or is this simply an effort to incorporate fog/friction?

5)Do VPs in the Red Storm scenario include Russia and Belarus land areas? They’re in the play area, but I understand that allied players can’t enter these areas and therefore can’t contest them.

Thanks for any info. This is my first hex-and-counter game, so I’m taking my time, but having fun trying to figure everything out.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jluminati wrote:
A few more newbie questions as I’ve shifted to the Red Storm Scenario to begin learning the strategic display.

1)Do clearing markers get placed even if there’s no combat involved? In other words, a non-Allied unit enters a city/land area with normal movement and there are no allied units present. Do I place a clearing marker and resolve it at the appropriate time or do I simply update control without going through a clearing operation?


Yes, per GSR 6.6, a Clearing Marker is placed whenever the Non-Allied units are the sole occupiers.

Quote:
2)Does non-Allied control over an Allied city/land area even if all non-Allied units are removed? I’m assuming that clearing operations completed successfully and non-Allied units move on during a subsequent turn.


I think you may be missing a word, but I believe you're asking if control is retained even if the units leave. Yes, control is retained by the non-Allied player.

Quote:
3)I’m a bit confused about holding boxes. Are non-Allied units in Russia/Belarus land areas considered to be in holding boxes for the purposes of paradrops or do they first have to expend their movement points moving into a holding box and then conducting a paradrop on a subsequent movement segment?


The Holding Box is synonmyous with Russia and/or Belarus per GSR 5.5.

Quote:
4)In general high rolls on the CRT are better for the defender, but not exclusively (see CRT column 6 where an 8 results in a 2/1 but a 9 gives 2/- and then 10 gives 1/1). It seems this would imply the defender might have been harmed by applying CS or other favorable DRMs to a roll. Am I reading this right, or is this simply an effort to incorporate fog/friction?


It's a non-linear CRT.

Quote:

5)Do VPs in the Red Storm scenario include Russia and Belarus land areas? They’re in the play area, but I understand that allied players can’t enter these areas and therefore can’t contest them.


No, those never count for VPs.
6 
 Thumb up
1.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Luminati
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick answers. Home from a dinner engagement and now I'm armed to stay up way too late playing this scenario.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Luminati
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One more follow-up on maintaining control as I play though the basic campaign.

I've been playing that in order to change control you must actually have units in a given hex/land area when control changes, but reviewing 8.4 I'm not sure I have that right.

8.4 says "When indicated in the SoP friendly control markers are placed on any hexes that did not require clearing markers and that contain Fortifications, Towns, or Airfields that the player was the last to occupy/enter during that turn."

and

8.4.1.6 says "hex control doesn't change until the appropriate step in the Reorganization phase."

If I consider the case where the non-Allied player has gained control of a town, city, land area, etc. on a previous turn and then pulls all of its units out of that location on a subsequent movement segment. The allied player then passes through that location during its own movement segment, but leaves again.

Should I read this if no one enters that same location during the remainder of the turn, control reverts to the allied player during the reorganization step even if they don't have any units there at that time?

Would the non-allied player have retained control (without the need for a clearing operation) if they had entered or passed through the same location after the allied player on the same turn?

Similarly, would this mean the non-allied player can capture allied towns in Poland (and gain VP's) by moving through the road networks even when it doesn't stop to leave a unit there?

I might just be reading the rule too literally, and should continue playing that a pre-requisite for gaining control is having a unit in the subject location when control changes take place, but I wanted to check since this would certainly change potential strategies (and also be a bit challenging to track).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
jluminati wrote:
I've been playing that in order to change control you must actually have units in a given hex/land area when control changes, but reviewing 8.4 I'm not sure I have that right.

8.4 says "When indicated in the SoP friendly control markers are placed on any hexes that did not require clearing markers and that contain Fortifications, Towns, or Airfields that the player was the last to occupy/enter during that turn."

and

8.4.1.6 says "hex control doesn't change until the appropriate step in the Reorganization phase."
For hexes that do not require a clearing marker, a player only has to enter the hex to gain control. Control does not change until the hex control changes step in the Reorganization phase.

jluminati wrote:
If I consider the case where the non-Allied player has gained control of a town, city, land area, etc. on a previous turn and then pulls all of its units out of that location on a subsequent movement segment. The allied player then passes through that location during its own movement segment, but leaves again.

Should I read this if no one enters that same location during the remainder of the turn, control reverts to the allied player during the reorganization step even if they don't have any units there at that time?
Yes.

jluminati wrote:
Would the non-allied player have retained control (without the need for a clearing operation) if they had entered or passed through the same location after the allied player on the same turn?
Yes.

jluminati wrote:
Similarly, would this mean the non-allied player can capture allied towns in Poland (and gain VP's) by moving through the road networks even when it doesn't stop to leave a unit there?
Yes.

jluminati wrote:
I might just be reading the rule too literally, and should continue playing that a pre-requisite for gaining control is having a unit in the subject location when control changes take place, but I wanted to check since this would certainly change potential strategies (and also be a bit challenging to track).
You should read the rule literally. Yes, you will need to mark these hexes in some manner.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Luminati
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. Thanks for the info.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.