Doomtown: Reloaded» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about ability, booting, and posse. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Scofield
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
If a card ability says this card can join a posse at any location, does it matter if it's booted and if unbooted, would it boot when joining a posse at a different location?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Considering that the rules about forming a posse specifically say that only dudes at the current or an adjacent location can join a posse, then I'd say that the card's ability allows that dude to break the adjacency rule, only.

Thusly all other rules about joining a posse would remain in effect. I.e., joining a posse from any location other than the shootout location itself means that the dude would have to be unbooted, and that the move to the shootout location would automatically boot the dude.

I hope this answered your question.

I stand corrected. See below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soulblight
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which card in particular are you asking about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
somaluna wrote:
Which card in particular are you asking about?

I believe he may be asking about Carter's Bounties which should ignore the booting requirement for a dude to join a posse. In other words, you can use this deed to have your booted dude join a posse from any location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

yipe wrote:
... which should ignore the booting requirement for a dude to join a posse.

I'm still learning the game, so I wonder where you get this from? I mean, the card clearly says to "Move a dude into your posse...". And the rules are pretty clear that moving a dude to a posse results in the dude being automatically booted. As far as I can see by the text on the card, the only advantage the ability has is to be able to move a dude into a posse from any location, instead of having to be limited to joining from the same or an adjacent location.

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
bgm1961 wrote:
yipe wrote:
... which should ignore the booting requirement for a dude to join a posse.

I'm still learning the game, so I wonder where you get this from?

Page 17 of Rulebook v1.3:

"Some card effects let you move a dude. These are usually Noon abilities, but there are also a few Shootout and React abilities, too. When using one of these effects, you can use it to move a booted dude, and the move doesn’t boot your dude. Card effects that move a dude must move them to a new location; the dude cannot remain at the same location, unless the effect is sending them home booted."

The emphasis is mine.

Most times, when a card grants you an ability it overrides the normal play restrictions unless specifically stated by the card. For example, you can use the General Store to attach goods and spells to a dude in a location you don't control (even the town square) and to a booted dude. Hope that helped!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

OK, thanks much for that. I feel like an idiot as I didn't bother to read past the point of the rules which I referenced. That's uncharacteristic of me. If I had bothered to read the next paragraph or two, I would've come across the part you excerpted. So thanks for setting that straight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soulblight
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each card is pretty specific in what it does, depending on the wording on the card.
Sloane, for instance, does something completely different than Carter's Bounties.
Roan does something different still.

It really helps to state the card in question, but the rule that yipe has quoted is an excellent rule of thumb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Some of the Base set cards came with helper text (see Roan, Mustang and Pinto) while others didn't so I agree that it can be a little confusing.

The big takeaway here is that Carter's Bounties says "move your dude into your posse" which isn't the same as "join" when forming posses.

Look at the text difference between Roan and Pinto.

Join requires you to follow the standard rules (with whatever exception the card grants) and takes place at a different timing step than using a shootout action to move a dude into an existing posse. Moving a dude into a posse from anywhere and without booting is powerful, but because it's a shootout action there are ways to shut it down before you can use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.