GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,755 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Julius Caesar» Forums » General

Subject: Amphibious movement to non-port rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can a block move from a port via amphibious movement to a non-port?

The rulebook says port to port but the rulebook’s example at page 5, bottom of right column, uses Antioch as a destination which is not a port.

Confused and uncertain. Can anyone clarify?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GA Jim wrote:
Can a block move from a port via amphibious movement to a non-port?

The rulebook says port to port but the rulebook’s example at page 5, bottom of right column, uses Antioch as a destination which is not a port.

Confused and uncertain. Can anyone clarify?

Why do you think Antioch is not a port? It is on a coastline.

(I wonder if you are confusing "ports" with "major ports".)
rule 4.42 wrote:
All cities located on a coastline are ports. Some ports have a Navis symbol that designates a major port, which are essential for building Navis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rüttimann
Switzerland
Luzern
Schweiz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Russ is correct. On page 3, right column, there is a list of ports. Antioch is on the list and on the board it's on the coast. But you're right insofar that the historic city of Antioch was not situated right beside the sea (nor is Rome which is regarded as a port as well in JC. In both cases this makes thematically sense IMO).

To bring it to the point:

Ports (see 4.42): all cities located at the seaside. They may be conquered by land forces and Navis. Unless they are a major port no Navis may be built there (but certain land units if port/city is friendly, see 6.4). Ports may serve as winter quarters for Navis (see 8.2). And - to come back to the question - they may be taken by amphibious movement (see 6.3)- very cool concept.

Major ports (see 4.42): They have that golden galley symbol. Major ports are basically the same as "normal" ports but you can also use them to build Navis. (Do not forget to have a unit in that major port before you bild up your Navis there).

It's a fantastic game. Enjoy it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Russ,

Thanks for the quick reply. You ere right! That’s exactly what I was doing, confusing the two.

I had laid off the game for awhile and completely forgot this.

In some wargames there’s a symbol for ports and nothing for non-ports; e.g. Hannibal and Washington’s War. My brain was thinking in those terms I guess. 😊 Thanks for the belpful clarification/reminder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.