Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Day
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When are purchased character cards replaced?

Immediately or after the player's turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gubisi Róbert
Hungary
Székesfehérvár
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a player's turn. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Per the Rules:

"The player may hire any number of characters during his turn at any time, as long as they can pay the price. ... The special ability of the hired character has to be used immediately, then the unused character goes into the discard pile." (emphasis in original)

"If a character was hired in the current turn, then the character cards are now pushed to the left towards the value 1 card slot, and the remaining empty slots are filled from the draw pile."

"If there are not enough [character] cards in the draw pile, the discard pile is reshuffled, forming a new draw pile."
----------------------

Because one can buy multiple characters and the draw pile is refreshed when there are not enough to refill, I think the key words are "current turn". Which seems to mean that once a character is bought, you then slide and replace. And you can do this any number of times you can afford.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fiki Snively
Malaysia
Damansara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I played a game of Sakura where the empty slots are refilled in the current turn instead of at the end of the turn and noticed that the game is 'breakable'. Like 1 player had 7 shirukens in his trick pile and so what he did was, he kept 'making money' via the betting card, bought the card that gets rid of shiruken card permanently in exchange for money, refreshes the deck till another money making card comes out, then refreshes it again till the same getting rid of shiruken card comes out again. He kept doing this over and over again till he had no more shirukens in his pile. I felt like this made the game broken and I no longer enjoyed playing it. I'd think refreshing the pile only at the END of the player's turn would be able to deter this ability unless he keeps refreshing the cards, get the betting card to make more money, then refresh again etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Though based on my repeated plays what you're describing is normal game play. Players with lots of money usually had to take lots of shirukens. But they use that money to make more money, to buy the right characters and to remove their shirukens.

My wife and I love the play. I think it is her favorite game. And we tend to have close scores. Last game was her win 10-6. I think in the 3 rounds we went respectively 3-3-0 shirukens (her) and 0-4-6 shirukens (me).

The few blow-outs we've had usually happened on the last round when a player couldn't get the right characters to remove shirukens. They take a huge pile near the end and can't buy their way out of the mess they've taken.

Of course, do keep in mind that a player can pay 6 to remove ALL the character cards to reset the characters and then use one for "free". A last ditch attempt to get that perfect character card(s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.