Subject: Playing TGW in solo mode with the APP and the board game :) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing SOLO by combining the WW1 C&C Boardgame of Richard Borg with the App of the same game.

The App game is a direct 1/1 port and so I can play it against the AI while still moving these little soldiers on the map with the trenches.

The App distributes the cards and I put both combat and command cards in my hand to play them along with the moves I make for my soldiers.

This is the STEAM version and you really need to play it on the highest difficulty to have a nice challenge.

Scenario 4 LOOS/ I won with 6-4 with the British.

The nice thing about playing this way is that the AI plays interrupt cards etc, something you can not easy simulate when playing both sides with this more advanced C&C game system.

Next scenario puts the Germans (AI) on the offense. I hope it delivers.

The C&C Ancients App is on its way too from GMT. I emailed them and apparently they will have the same 1/1 port of Ancients too.

So this kind of play is awesome on condition of course that both games follow the exact same rules and the AI is decent enough...

I plan to play all The Great War scenarios this way in the following weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben_Bos wrote:

So this kind of play is awesome on condition of course that both games follow the exact same rules and the AI is decent enough...

I plan to play all The Great War scenarios this way in the following weeks.

One major rule that the app has never grasped is that flags are voluntary. So the app never makes a voluntary tactical retreat to get out of trouble.

There are a number of other bugs with the app, as you know, but the major one is that the AI is not very good. It does so many stupid moves, like playing Mortar Barrage and then ordering no Mortar units, ditto MGs.

HexWar really needs to pick up their game on this app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When was the last time you played ?

I just lost a unit to the AI due to it playing a combination of Direct From HQ Command card ... with a correct play of Mortar Barrage. It indeed did combat twice and used one additional die with that mortar

So that bug you mentioned was certainly fixed with the last patch.

As to ignore first 2 flags while in trenches... most humans will play like that as you already would need 4 flags to even reach another trench behind you. Pulling back from trenches in the open is seldom a good idea.

I will not say that the AI would play better than a good player, but these days at the highest difficulty it is fun and you could always try beating it with the highest possible scores like 6-1 etc.

To me it beats playing it solo without decent possibility of playing the interrupt combat cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
14 Dec 2017 according to Steam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
14 Dec 2017 according to Steam

Well I just lost scenario 5 as the British 4-6. I certainly did not play too well, but the AI did attack with the mortar strike in the normal way like I described.

It actually had some very surprising interrupt cards in play.

It even took out an infantry unit with an artillery strike, something that's very rare in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
As to ignore first 2 flags while in trenches... most humans will play like that as you already would need 4 flags to even reach another trench behind you. Pulling back from trenches in the open is seldom a good idea.

I don't follow your math. ONE flag could be used to retreat, if you wanted to retreat. You might choose to move to an adjacent piece of trench to escape further fire, or the Close Combat you are expecting. Doing so could leave enemy troops-- who would have taken your trench if they beat you in CC-- still sitting in clear terrain next to the trench-- and now it's your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
played a few more times in the last 2 days, and some odd AI play such as

1. Played Box barrage with Direct from HQ, so no artillery. Waste of HQ.

2. I rolled 3 flags on a enemy unit in a (fortified) building. It ignored 2 flags and retreated to an adjacent clear hex, rather than take 2-3 flags to reach the comparative safety of a trench.

I think the most medals I have lost is 3 in those matches, so I'm usually winning 6-1, 7-2 or 8-3 as the British.

Playing FtF or on VASSAL, the scores are much closer, even versus new players.

Only noticed one bug, playing Return Fire against an MG crossfire resulted in a skip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.