Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Obsession» Forums » General

Subject: Custom Meeple Poll rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Hallagan

Avon Lake
Ohio
msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings, all!

I have been trying to finesse the finances to add custom meeples to Obsession. I have a solution, but since it involves a change to what has been promised, I am conducting a poll that will run through the end of the year.

If I limit the Blackcore 310gsm card upgrade to the Gentry cards only and use Ivorycore for the Objective (mini-sized) and Courtship (micro-sized) cards—neither of which are handled all that much—I can make the following custom meeples (not pawns) standard in every game:



Poll
Should Kayenta Games add custom meeples to Obsession by changing the card stock of the Objective and Courtship cards to Ivorycore (keeping all bridge-sized Gentry cards Blackcore)?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Yes, I want custom meeples.
75.6% 31
No, I want 100% Blackcore.
24.4% 10
Voters 41
This poll is now closed.   41 answers
Poll created by The Reeve
Closes: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:00 am
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan AllThatJazz
Germany
Dortmund
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They look faboulous! But I must admit I was a bit scared and thought about "The butler is always the murderer" when I saw this guy holding the machine gun Was it him who killed the family? devil

I was just kidding! Please be indulgend to me. meeple

I absolutely admire your devotion in making the game better and better and look forward to the finishing and playing it. And the idea with the custom meeple ist great!

I would prefer the meeples. And for sure: I backed Obsession!

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M

Chapel Hill
North Carolina
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am absolutely Team Meeples. Couldn't care less about the mini cards that I'm not going to even be handling.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hallagan

Avon Lake
Ohio
msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AllThatJazz wrote:
They look faboulous! But I must admit I was a bit scared and thought about "The butler is always the murderer" when I saw this guy holding the machine gun


I have had that exact same thought! I kept moving the glass around on the tray, had others tell me to move it too, and finally decided it was an "eye of the beholder" kind of thing!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the most responsive Kickstarters I have ever backed. +1 to the Meeples.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm the lone holdout so far. I have two reasons.

1. There are numerous sources to buy fancy meeple at very reasonable prices for people who want them. People who prefer upgraded cards don't have that option.

2. That's not what we backed.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maricel Edwards
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
#teamcustommeeple

And, respectfully responding to lucky henry: I get that we didn't back the custom meeples, but I think that's only because we'd run out of time during the campaign. If enough people vote on this poll and want them wouldn't that be the same as if we'd done it while the campaign was live? (I'm not being combative, just sincerely curious as to how you perceive this situation.)

I do acknowledge that we might not get 100% of backers to vote, however, and I understand the rationale behind "we want what we backed"; in fact, I had cautioned Dan about this exact same philosophy since I saw it happen to Steve Finn when he changed the box art for The Little Flower Shop.

That said, perhaps Dan could just offer the custom meeples as an add-on? Or would that then make the pro-meeple people irate?

Hrmmm...I'm conflicted now. Is this another case of "don't drop the donkey"?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mtsedwards wrote:
#teamcustommeeple

And, respectfully responding to lucky henry: I get that we didn't back the custom meeples, but I think that's only because we'd run out of time during the campaign. If enough people vote on this poll and want them wouldn't that be the same as if we'd done it while the campaign was live? (I'm not being combative, just sincerely curious as to how you perceive this situation.)

I do acknowledge that we might not get 100% of backers to vote, however, and I understand the rationale behind "we want what we backed"; in fact, I had cautioned Dan about this exact same philosophy since I saw it happen to Steve Finn when he changed the box art for The Little Flower Shop.

That said, perhaps Dan could just offer the custom meeples as an add-on? Or would that then make the pro-meeple people irate?

Hrmmm...I'm conflicted now. Is this another case of "don't drop the donkey"?


No offense taken, Maricel. The reason it's not the same as if it was done while the campaign was live is that we no longer have the option to back out of the pledge once the KS drive is finished. Not saying I would definitely have done that, but the choice is no longer there. Also, as stated above, numerous sources of aftermarket meeple/pawns/whatever tokens are available to those who want them. Upgraded cards are not.
Custom meeple as an add-on would make sense since they are, in fact, something that would be added on after the campaign closed.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hallagan

Avon Lake
Ohio
msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lucky henry wrote:
mtsedwards wrote:
#teamcustommeeple

And, respectfully responding to lucky henry: I get that we didn't back the custom meeples, but I think that's only because we'd run out of time during the campaign. If enough people vote on this poll and want them wouldn't that be the same as if we'd done it while the campaign was live? (I'm not being combative, just sincerely curious as to how you perceive this situation.)

I do acknowledge that we might not get 100% of backers to vote, however, and I understand the rationale behind "we want what we backed"; in fact, I had cautioned Dan about this exact same philosophy since I saw it happen to Steve Finn when he changed the box art for The Little Flower Shop.

That said, perhaps Dan could just offer the custom meeples as an add-on? Or would that then make the pro-meeple people irate?

Hrmmm...I'm conflicted now. Is this another case of "don't drop the donkey"?


No offense taken, Maricel. The reason it's not the same as if it was done while the campaign was live is that we no longer have the option to back out of the pledge once the KS drive is finished. Not saying I would definitely have done that, but the choice is no longer there. Also, as stated above, numerous sources of aftermarket meeple/pawns/whatever tokens are available to those who want them. Upgraded cards are not.
Custom meeple as an add-on would make sense since they are, in fact, something that would be added on after the campaign closed.



You are right, Henry. However, it is not possible to qualify custom meeples from another vendor at this late stage (Panda is not a feasible source for stand-alone custom meeples). So, I have a dilemma with only one solution: get my cheap backside in gear and do BOTH! Sorry, I want custom meeples...and you want (and are owed) Blackcore. What’s a few bucks among friends?

Poll closed. The game will have both.
12 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maricel Edwards
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lucky henry wrote:
mtsedwards wrote:
#teamcustommeeple

And, respectfully responding to lucky henry: I get that we didn't back the custom meeples, but I think that's only because we'd run out of time during the campaign. If enough people vote on this poll and want them wouldn't that be the same as if we'd done it while the campaign was live? (I'm not being combative, just sincerely curious as to how you perceive this situation.)

I do acknowledge that we might not get 100% of backers to vote, however, and I understand the rationale behind "we want what we backed"; in fact, I had cautioned Dan about this exact same philosophy since I saw it happen to Steve Finn when he changed the box art for The Little Flower Shop.

That said, perhaps Dan could just offer the custom meeples as an add-on? Or would that then make the pro-meeple people irate?

Hrmmm...I'm conflicted now. Is this another case of "don't drop the donkey"?


No offense taken, Maricel. The reason it's not the same as if it was done while the campaign was live is that we no longer have the option to back out of the pledge once the KS drive is finished. Not saying I would definitely have done that, but the choice is no longer there. Also, as stated above, numerous sources of aftermarket meeple/pawns/whatever tokens are available to those who want them. Upgraded cards are not.
Custom meeple as an add-on would make sense since they are, in fact, something that would be added on after the campaign closed.



Thank you for taking my comment at face value; I always feel I could inadvertently offend people with my words once I hit "submit"; darn you, ineffectual emoticons!

I see what you mean about backing out; I guess I'm still working under the assumption that I could get a refund - should I need one - from any Kickstarter developer if I ask politely. This happened to me with Greenbrier Games, btw; had backed Champions of Hara but decided after the fact that I didn't want nor could afford the art book that came with the game. I sent out a tentative plea and Walt graciously acquiesced and granted me a partial refund. Is this not the case for the most part? Would most developers not honor a request for refund if solicited?

I'm hijacking the thread, aren't I? Sorry, Dan. I would never ask you for a refund! In fact, you know I'm buying more copies so I can have 6 full sets for my classroom, right? With or without custom meeples.

But back to custom meeples: I want them enough that I would consider purchasing them as an add-on should the vote swing lucky henry's way. That's my on-the-record, for-what-it's-worth, two-cents' vote.

EDIT: Dan types faster than I do. We get both! Woo hoo!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

That's very gracious of you, Dan.

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hallagan

Avon Lake
Ohio
msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lucky henry wrote:

That's very gracious of you, Dan.


Right thing to do. I wasn’t smart enough to listen to four different people now, including Maricel, warn me about making changes after the kickstarter had closed. I guess I’m just sort of like a kid in a candy shop.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myk Deans
United States
Rotonda West
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it have been possible to have the set of upgraded meeples as an add-on to the pledge manager? That way the integrity of the original kickstarter would have been maintained, and those who wanted them could buy them? I'd certainly have added in a few bucks extra in the PM for the upgraded meeples.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maricel Edwards
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mcdeans wrote:
Would it have been possible to have the set of upgraded meeples as an add-on to the pledge manager? That way the integrity of the original kickstarter would have been maintained, and those who wanted them could buy them? I'd certainly have added in a few bucks extra in the PM for the upgraded meeples.


That possibility was being considered, but Dan took the decision away from us - the indecisive Gemini in me thanks him! - and has announced that we get both. BOTH! So blackcore for all the cards AND custom meeples! Huzzah!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.