10 Posts

Hunt for the Ring» Forums » General

Subject: This vs Fury of Dracula rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
marcotf10 Marcotte
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi, I'm looking to buy this, but I'm not gonna keep FOD if this is any better. I can't say I loved the combat from FOD and we ran into the pirate dracula thing a few times. I like letter from Whitechapel but it can end very fast or be very long and the pressure on Jack is very high.

I'd take your hidden movement suggestions as well, if you have any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should watch the video review from drive thru review. This game sounds better. Sorry, can't link to the video on my phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whitehall Mystery is a great streamlining of Letters from Whitechapel, no extraneous mechanics. I've played back to back two player games in 60-90 min. Playing with more can add time due to discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marcotf10 wrote:
Hi, I'm looking to buy this, but I'm not gonna keep FOD if this is any better. I can't say I loved the combat from FOD and we ran into the pirate dracula thing a few times. I like letter from Whitechapel but it can end very fast or be very long and the pressure on Jack is very high.

I'd take your hidden movement suggestions as well, if you have any.

You might try Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space In it everyone's movement is hidden.

I'm not sure why your need to get rid of Fury if you liked a new game. I really enjoy hidden movement games and each of the game's I have is different. I keep them all and play the one that matches the situation in terms of time available, number of players etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
LoweringTheBar wrote:
You should watch the video review from drive thru review. This game sounds better. Sorry, can't link to the video on my phone.

It's a shame he didn't play part 2. He seemed to not really grasp the idea that they are 2 parts of a single game, designed to be played sequentially. The rules explanation looks good but his review totally ignores part 2 since he didn't play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcotf10 Marcotte
Canada
flag msg tools
FOD wasnt a big hit and honestly, as is its not staying. Im gonna give Wizkids a shot on the 4 edition, sees if they fixes it a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard K
msg tools
mbmb
Orion3T wrote:
LoweringTheBar wrote:

It's a shame he didn't play part 2. He seemed to not really grasp the idea that they are 2 parts of a single game, designed to be played sequentially. The rules explanation looks good but his review totally ignores part 2 since he didn't play it.

We played Part 2 last night and it really brings the whole experience together. I wouldn’t call any review that just does Part 1 a real review. The two hidden aspects of the Ringbearer and the Lord of Nazgûl really make it. Starting corrupted and having the max corruption lowered also adds to the tension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
Fury of Dracula is one of my highest rated games, But if, as you say, you don't care for enduring a combat situation in a game like these, then Hunt for the Ring is going to suit you better.

Me? I anticipate owning both of them, and being delighted to play either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix, Rome, N.Y., 1777
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Fury, but I consider it best at a full player count.
HfTR, on the other hand, looks like a great two-player contest which can lead straight into the grand master of games--WOTRcool

That said, Fury is a KEEPER and I'm sure HftR will be a permanent part of my collection as well--room for both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maurizio cannella
msg tools
i own both games and after some plays i should tell you to choose theme over game, if u prefer a fantsy world of tolkien choose HfTR ,if not go for dracula. the only thing i noticed is that dracula is very good for my point of view at higher player count (at least 3 people playng in total) HfTR is very good even at 2 players. with my girlfriend we play a lot of 2 players games and this one has gone fast in top tier for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.