Rayguns and Rocketships» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rocketship destroyed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Barrett
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
So if your rocket is destroyed, does that mean you're out of the game? I saw no rules for bringing it back in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Eiselt

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Your crew can jump ship. They can still be active as little floaty dudes. Of course if you're playing one of the "Objective" scenarios, you may end up being disqualified.

Something else that is a little vague, I believe I've seen comments indicating both yes and no to suggest that you could board an enemy ship, and kill or jetison that crew, and take over their ship.

EDIT: The game rules discuss boarding an enemy ship. But how much or how little you can actually control that ship is not clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still hoping for rules 1.5 or a FAQ for BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Krindle
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pkeiselt wrote:

EDIT: The game rules discuss boarding an enemy ship. But how much or how little you can actually control that ship is not clear.

You can't. The ship as a rudimentary AI, and the player whose ship it is may continue to control it even if all their crew are dead, and even if it is occupied by enemy crew. (I'm basing this on comments Scott Rogers has made elsewhere on this forum.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a slippery slope. If you allow for controlling a captured alien ship, then you allow for a person to have multiple ships. Thematically, you'd think it should work. Game-wise, it can create issues.

That said, you should maybe be able to use points to have some control over an enemy ship you've effectively captured. I think there's a way to do it that is thematic, yet not overpowering, where you're using your resources to "interpret" the alien controls and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rogers
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarbuck wrote:
It's a slippery slope. If you allow for controlling a captured alien ship, then you allow for a person to have multiple ships. Thematically, you'd think it should work. Game-wise, it can create issues.

During testing, I tried several different methods to see if taking over an enemy's ship could effectively work. It did not. The option to do so was not included in the rules because it "broke" the game.

I'm still exploring ways for capturing an enemy's rocketship to work, but for now, you'll just have to be content with blowing it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wood
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmb

I might see humans capturing & operating enemy-human rocketships, though it's easily assumed that passwords or keys or thumbprints (the retro version of retinal scanning) would prevent anyone operating an enemy ship, if the designer wishes it not to happen.

As for the Blaarg taking over a human ship, or vice versa ... it's easy to imagine how one species would not understand the technologies and physical operator-interface designs of another species.

Apparently the equipment even in one's own rocketship has "quirky," irritable AI, not really dependable? It must be five-fold so if the AI doesn't even belong to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, I could see where the crew would be like, "Set the charges and lets get back to the ship. The sooner this thing is blown to smithereens the better."

At the same time, I can see a crew who's lost their own ship, and managed to "capture" an enemy vessel to have nothing to lose in trying to operate it, and certainly no incentive to set scuttling charges and jump out an airlock with no place to go. Even in the retro future, your space suit will only keep you alive for so long.

That's thematic talk. So let's talk rules then. As they are, you can't capture/operate an enemy ship, period. Even if your own ship is destroyed.

We can talk house/alternate rules (which, of course, is its own forum area) and maybe there can be an exception to that rule if your own ship has been destroyed. You would have to clear the enemy ship of its original crew, and probably have a crew member at the Command Chair. Spend an Action Token to "Claim the Vessel" or "Transfer Your Flag". Attempting to use any stations on the ship that you normally can't use, like the engines, costs 1 Action Token (in addition to any you might already be using to activate that crew). You could even go one further, and have Command Cards assigned at random for movement. "Darn it! I thought that was the command to turn left. Sorry Captain."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Eiselt

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thorfinn made me laugh with his random command card example.
Building off that, I wonder if maybe disallowing command cards to be played on an enemy ship would be better. So while your characters may still have special powers, and your own ship can still steer and all that.
ONLY action tokens could control an enemy ship. (ie- your reflexes are slower (no command phase) and it's VERY labor intensive to do even the most basic moves).

But Scott has already kaboshed the idea. So...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's even better. You can basically just manage to limp along by mashing every button you can find. Likewise, needless to say, you can only fire manned guns.

It's worth trying out. It certainly ups the stakes a bit in certain situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Eiselt

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Additionally:
You'd need a minimum of 2 people to accomplish anything (ie - one crewman on the command, and one on an engine, a third on canon)

But it just occurred to me that the ORIGINAL player would still have command cards! So they would be working against you even if they didn't have any crew onboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True.

So the original player still playing Command Cards, thematically, could go either way.

On the one hand, yes they should be able to. This is their ship's sentient computer, or remote control from home base, or from the Commander floating out there in space, or the Auto-Return-To-Base-Fail-safe feature (or ARTBF for short).

Maybe in this case, you can spend an Action Token to put the token on a Command Card. That card can't be flipped that turn - to represent the "new crew" wresting control, or overriding the automatic systems.

On the other hand, if you don't have Crew in your ship, why should you be able to control it? If I get out of my car to get the mail, it's not (hopefully) going to drive off without me. But if the punk kid (Yeah, I'm looking at you Kyle) jumps in while my back is turned and throws it into gear, there's not a whole lot I can do about it but dodge out of the way because I know for a fact Kyle can't drive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Eiselt

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Your car doesn't have cranky AI that's loyal to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was the first hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.