T Marley
msg tools
We are looking for 3 player games that will add variety to the type of games we have. Current favorites:

Pandemic
Star Wars: Imperial Assault
Dead of Winter
Jamaica
Love Letter: Batman
Specter Ops
Robinson Crusoe
Resistance: Avalon

We've tried Ticket to Ride and 7 Wonders but they seemed a little simple/non-interactive, maybe because there's only 3 of us. I like card games, but the other 2 players got a bit frustrated with Seasons, Hero Realms, and Smash Up, so probably no card drafting or deck building.

I think we might like Viticulture EE and Scythe, but I read that Viticulture can involve a lot of luck and Scythe can become repetitive.

1. Do you think we will like Viticulture EE or Scythe? If both, are they different enough that we should get both, and which one should we try first?

2. Are there any other games you think we might like that will add variety to our favorites?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride non-interactive? Ticketto Ride has been the game that closest game to table flipping in my board game career.

Viticulture is pretty good, but I think the cards can be a little game breaking. Scythe is overrated and too expensive. Take a look at The Quest for El Dorado
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Sims
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of the games you have which are the three most popular?

If you haven't played too much worker placement then Viticulture is a good intro game. I found it a bit too easy and I agree about just a bit too much luck of the draw concerning the cards.

I enjoy Scythe but it is really more of Euro than it appears. I like it a bit more each time I play it but I still don't feel like it is good enough that I would think about buying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvio Z
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Blood Rage plays really good at three, you should try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven St. John
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe is amazing - the favorite of our family. We usually play with 3. We just got Viticulture but haven’t played it yet.

I really enjoy Istanbul with 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansa Teutonica

Tends to be a favorite when talking about mean/interactive games.

EDIT: It does play best with 5, so maybe not ideal. I would be curious to know if you have played TtR versions made for 3 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radu Stanculescu
Romania
Cluj-Napoca
Cluj
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there games that you have tried but do not like? Your list is low on eurogames, and both Viticulture and Scythe are both eurogames (despite Scythe looking like it's a dudes on the map one).

If you *are* interested in expanding that way, there are a lot of games that work well with 3:

- Terraforming Mars: an amazing game, very replayable, and pretty thematic for a euro.
- The Voyages of Marco Polo or La Granja: both do cool things with dice. In Marco Polo each player has their own pool of dice that they use as workers, while in La Granja you have a common pool of dice from which you each select two for your actions. There are quite a few other dice placement games that came out in the last few years, but IMO these are the best.
- Great Western Trail: a bit of deck building, a bit of tile placement (on a common map, with the possibility of screwing with other players), and a pretty good theme in a very interesting euro. Some mechanisms are a bit weird at first, but once you learn them it makes sense.
- any of the following Uwe games: Agricola, A Feast for Odin, Le Havre. Agricola's my favorite of the three, but all of them are exceptional. If you play Agricola, play with drafting!
- civilization games. I like Nations best, though others swear by Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization. The latter is longer, more strategic, but IMO less replayable than Nations, while Nations can be imbalanced due to the random cards, but feels infinitely more replayable, *and* has variable player powers (especially with the expansion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Marley
msg tools
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, I will check them out!

For Ticket to Ride and 7 Wonders, by non-interactive I meant that we didn't really talk to each other. We played quietly, just thinking about strategies, but we like games where we talk more. Sorry for the confusion.

Our favorite games are Pandemic and Imperial Assault. We definitely like cooperative and thematic games. We haven't played many euro games and no worker placement, which is why I was looking at Viticulture and Scythe. We've tried Catan which was okay, but it felt like if you got unlucky rolls early you would fall behind and it was hard to come back. Any other thematic euro recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Blood Rage is a game I would probably like, but isn't the card drafting very important? I was afraid that if it was like Seasons where drafting is vital for how many points you can get, that the rest of the group would not enjoy it. I was hoping to avoid card drafting and deck building, but a little bit might be okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle King
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on what you’ve said, I don’t think Scythe is the game for you. I love the game, but it can be dry with little interaction

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people regard worker placement as dry with little interaction. I like the mechanic a lot. There are some straight forward (and probably cheaper) games out there such as Stone Age or Lords of Waterdeep. You could then decide if it's the game mechanic for you! Alternatively go and get Pandemic Legacy: Season 1!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some other worker placement games that don't have card drafting are: Stone Age, Champions of Midgard, and Lords of Waterdeep.

For the most part the interaction is limited to blocking people (or mandatory quests in LoW and blame tokens in CoM) but the games are simple enough that we always have plenty of talking (light role-playing or trash) while playing. I don't like games where everyone quietly optimizes their engine for points but I don't think these fall into that category (unlike Scythe and Terraforming Mars to name a couple of popular recommendations).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.